MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

24 Nosler? A 27 Nosler????

GlockZ

I just happened to be surfing the Nosler website and noticed something interesting. They now sell brass for the 24 Nosler! When did this happen? What's it based on? Also while making my rounds on the web, apparently there is a very strong rumor out there, where Nosler will be releasing a 27 Nosler with a 165gr ABLR bullet! The only other information to this rumor I was able to find, is that it will be mated to a 1 in 8" twist barrel and it will be released in a few months. If this rumor is true, I am truly excited! I know the .277 caliber is kind of boring, especially with the lack of bullet selection, but I believe this will be a game changer.

I just happened to be surfing the Nosler website and noticed something interesting. They now sell brass for the 24 Nosler! When did this happen? What's it based on? Also while making my rounds on the web, apparently there is a very strong rumor out there, where Nosler will be releasing a 27 Nosler with a 165gr ABLR bullet! The only other information to this rumor I was able to find, is that it will be mated to a 1 in 8" twist barrel and it will be released in a few months. If this rumor is true, I am truly excited! I know the .277 caliber is kind of boring, especially with the lack of bullet selection, but I believe this will be a game changer.
I am not bashing the .270Win, one of my favorite rifles is chambered in it. The .270 has a history of success in the west as a flat shooter with easy availability of factory ammo. But why in 2019 would someone choose a niche cartridge using a .277 bullet over the ballistically superior and far more common .284 bullets? I guess what I am asking is why (other than simple variety) would anyone choose 27Nosler over 28Nosler?

My guess is the 24 nosler is their 22 nosler necked up

My guess is the 24 nosler is their 22 nosler necked up

With a little other tweaking:

"24 Nosler: Created for the AR-15
Simply neck up the 22 Nosler case for 0.243-inch bullets and you have the 24 Nosler, correct? Well, not exactly. Had the cartridge been designed for a bolt-action rifle with enough magazine length to handle a cartridge that long, that would have been the logical route to take. But the 24 Nosler was designed for the AR-15, and if an extremely long .24-caliber bullet, such as Nosler’s 105-grain Custom Competition, were seated into a necked-up 22 Nosler case at a cartridge overall length compatible with an AR magazine, the mouth of the case would be positioned far out over the ogive of the bullet. Shortening the 22 Nosler case 0.160 inch put the entire neck of the 24 Nosler case in contact with the full-diameter shank of the 105-grain bullet."

from: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/review-the-24-nosler/357574

Depending on the specs, the .27 Nosler will be my next rifle. I have been waiting for it. However, it does depend on specs and what it does. I have a 270WSM that I love but we'll see. I want it in the new Mountain Carbon light rifle.

Depending on the specs, the .27 Nosler will be my next rifle. I have been waiting for it. However, it does depend on specs and what it does. I have a 270WSM that I love but we'll see. I want it in the new Mountain Carbon light rifle.
Yes it would depend on the specs, to see if it would be a worthy investment. I am hoping the specs will be available soon!

I am not bashing the .270Win, one of my favorite rifles is chambered in it. The .270 has a history of success in the west as a flat shooter with easy availability of factory ammo. But why in 2019 would someone choose a niche cartridge using a .277 bullet over the ballistically superior and far more common .284 bullets? I guess what I am asking is why (other than simple variety) would anyone choose 27Nosler over 28Nosler?
It very well be just that, a niche cartridge and I think there is a market for that.

The problem that the 22 Nosler had was the small rim got chewed up even with factory loads. I'm not sure if that's simply due to brass quality or the .378" rim on the fatter bodied case. I hope they've resolved that for the .24 version. You should look into the 6mm Hagar.

Last edited:
Back