Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

27 Nosler , it's official!

I doubt anyone here will buy one but I thought it would be interesting to share and hear opinions.
277 SIG Fury Ballistics

This added pressure will drive a 135-grain bullet from SIG’s Hybrid Match cartridge 3,000 fps from a 16-inch barrel, and produce 2,694 ft.-lbs. of energy. The 135-grain bullet has a respectable .488 G1 BC.

SIG’s 277 Fury Hybrid Hunting load features a 140-grain bullet with a .508 G1 BC, launching from a 16-inch barrel at 2,950 fps. That one produces 2,706 ft.-lbs. of muzzle energy, too.

Pretty equivalent to factory 270win loads from a 24 in barrel. Interesting🎯

yes they are, from what I've read, they recommend using the 30 Nosler brass to neck down to the 27, because the the shoulder angle is similar.
I actually have a prototype I've been using/testing the last couple months and we're feeding it 30 Nos necked down. Fun package to pack around and shoot. Recoil with the 150 AB isn't bad at all especially with it being so light. I was surprised how much bigger the case looks compared to the 270 Wby.

I actually have a prototype I've been using/testing the last couple months and we're feeding it 30 Nos necked down. Fun package to pack around and shoot. Recoil with the 150 AB isn't bad at all especially with it being so light. I was surprised how much bigger the case looks compared to the 270 Wby.
I guess Nosler is using a slightly different shoulder angle for the 28 so cross chambering won't happen.

This is what I have been waiting for. I know all the nay-sayers, but

I have a Nosler .30 in custom M48. Its the most accurate rifle I own, shooting 1/2 MOA, smoothest action, and easy handling. For years I shot a 300WM, still have it. the .30 beats it hands down.

I have a .270WSM, I will still get the .27

The 30Nosler is slightly shorter from base to shoulder than the 26/28Nosler. The 27 wildcats were based of 26Nos brass. The 27Nosler is built off the 30Nosler case.

My question is why they settled on 1/8.5, instead of 1/8, like most of the barrels these days. Bet they don't kill anything any deader, than any other cartridge. BUT, if you like burning money on the newest toys, then it will be a winner.

It looks like Berger is only calling for a 1:9" twist rate for their 170 EOL Elite hunters. If they're correct in recommending that twist rate, 1:8.5" should be adequate. We'll have to see when people start fielding them.

[QUOTE="sbhooper, post: 2934016, member: 21128 BUT, if you like burning money on the newest toys, then it will be a winner.
[/QUOTE]
I think this has happened before. mtmuley

Just looked at the specs and 3300 FPS for 150 accubonds is no slouch

No it isn't. But... I get 3200 out of my old .270 win with 150's and RL26. Documented and replicated numerous times with a Magneto speed.

I am sure handloaders will accomplish more than 3300.

No it isn't. But... I get 3200 out of my old .270 win with 150's and RL26. Documented and replicated numerous times with a Magneto speed.

I am sure handloaders will accomplish more than 3300.

The Nosler factory ammo is loaded short OAL and their rifles are short in magazine length at 3.4. A long throated reamer setup for a 3.6 mag box would be very interesting.
Hmmmmm🤔

Seems awful hot. mtmuley
Agreed.
I was surprised how deep the bullets were seated on the stuff they loaded up for me.
I really liked that I wasn't packing around a gun with a 26" barrel or a brake but I think you can get the longer barrel if you want it in a slightly different setup. I like the smooth action and the balance of the rifle. The stock took a little getting used to but the palm swell is kinda nice as it encourages proper thumb placement.

I was tempted to post on the 27 awhile ago but they asked that we keep it quiet until they debut it this year. If you want a hot 270 this is the one to get as you can really push the big for caliber bullets with this setup plus it does look pretty bad ass to boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back