Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.257 Weatherby

People love them for antelope and mule deer.

If you get one, then get into reloading if you are not reloading already- because the majority of factory shells cost a lot.

Excellent deer rifle. I've killed a ton of deer and antelope with the .257. Super fun to shoot too.

It doesn't get the love of the 6.5's and 7mms here but it's a great caliber. Guys will talk about low BCs for the 25 caliber bullets, but most of us aren't shooting 600+ yards so I wouldn't sweat it.

Not only do I shoot one " regularly" but it's the only big game rifle I use. I use it on bear, whitetail, mule deer, elk, varmints and if there's anything left that I haven't used it on I will when the next opportunity presents itself. It does the job quite well on everything I hunt. No need for anything bigger or smaller caliber wise.

Mines is in getting a new barrel. I dont think I will be shooting many of my other magnum rifles after I get this one back. As stated above I've shot elk, deer and antelope and I don't think you will be under gunned if you decide to get one. Reloading is definitely a necessity of this cartridge unless you wanna drop 70+ on twenty shells.

Had one in A Mark V Accumark for a spell before I got into reloading...should've kept it.

I have two rifles now (Not including muzzleloader) a 300 WSM and a 257 Weatherby. I have killed elk, deer, and lope with the 257 and it is a great rifle that launched my reloading hobby. I only bought the 300 WSM because I was guilted into believing I was under gunned for elk. I had already killed a 340 class bull (taken with the 257 Weatherby) and the little nudging produced a new rifle. I have both but always grab the 257. Fun to shoot with a manageable recoil and capable of taking almost any North American big game animal. it really excels at deer and lope.

I bought mine 2 years ago and I love it. I shoot 100 gr. Ttsx out of it. Loaded a little hot and sighted in 3" high at 100 yds is around 3" low at 40. It has some serious knock down.

Gunner, I've got one because I didn't have a 25 caliber gun. I liked the vanguard better than the ruger I found in 257 roberts. That's why. As for the rifle itself, it's more than acceptably accurate, low recoiling, and I never feel like I need more. It's not the first rifle I grab for, but it's frequently along for the ride.

The .257Wby is my primary rifle these days, and I've used it to take several mule deer, whitetails, auodad all the way up to a +500 lb. gemsbok. It's a Mark V ULW, sent to Hill Country Rifles for bedding and cerakoting; and wears a Swaro Z5 3.5x18 scope. All animals were taken with factory 110gr. Accubond ammo. I don't reload rifle cartridges and practice shooting with a .22; so a box of ammo lasts a long time. :)
Absolutely my favorite caliber, having wanted one ever since I saw an ad for it in Field and Stream over 30 years ago. For me, it has proved to be an outstanding round, and I think it looks pretty damn cool too for a 70 year old.

I bought a mark v ultra lightweight as one of my first quality rifles. Hand loaded 100 grain tsx's in it. The thing was a death ray.

I had one that shot REALLY well but I really like shooting and that cartridge isn't conducive to a ton of shooting. I have a 257 Ackley that is a lot more fun to shoot and performs just as well at the ranges I shoot deer.

257 Weatherby is an excellent deer cartridge but to me it's kinda like shooting elk with a 375 H&H; it's fun, there's a certain cool style factor there, but it's overkill and there are a lot handier ways of getting the job done.

Blast is a huge factor... recoil isn't substantial but adding a brake would make it intolerable to me noise wise.

Just my opinion based upon experience...

Last edited:
You'll love that caliber, one of my personal favorites. I've killed just about everything with the ROY, its not easy on the pocket book when it comes to ammo. Its is a very effective caliber and one of the fastest/flattest shooting calibers made... Its a nice feature when you don't have to worry about holdover at 400...;)

Back