PEAX Equipment

.22LR scope opinions

VAspeedgoat

My son has saved all of his lawn mowing and farm hand money and is wanting to buy a .22. He has settled on a ruger 77/22 much to his fathers aproval and now we need a scope for it. So far almost every scope in our price range has either some sort of bullet drop reticle or turets to compensate. I would prefer it to just be a duplex crosshair but our optioms seem to be limited to low or high end price range scopes. I would like to be around $100 but am open to any suggestions. A leupold would be around $225 but I would have to chip in to swing that. What do you guys think?

Redfield accu range scopes are great. I put one on my mini 14 and it's perfect for the 223.

I put a demo unit Minox 3-9 on my 22. I think it was $139. It is overkill but price dictated the decision. Vortex makes a 2-7 crossfire for rimfire rifles for just over $120.

I've had good luck with a cheap simmons 22 mag scope. Mine is a fixed 4, but for about $80 you can get a variable. Wouldn't trust it with a big game tag on the line, but works for some plinking.

I had this 10/22 I didn't do much with for a long time and then I got a deal on a stock, and eventually got a deal on a barrel and the next thing you know I needed a scope. I didn't want to put much into a scope and am a believer in that you get what you pay for but this little BSA sweet 22 scope has proved me wrong. It has been a darn good scope for me, I routinely pick off small targets at 100 yards with it.

I know there are several models, here is a pic of the one I have runs right at $100.
sweet 22 bsa.jpg
lope 13 wyo 155.jpg

I'm with Southwind...(BSA sweet .22)... I have a couple and love them! cheap and reliable.

Get a scope specifically for rimfires. Sounds odd, but rimfires tend to be hard on scopes. I had the crosshairs collapse in a cheap 4 power on a Marlin 60. mtmuley

Get a scope specifically for rimfires. Sounds odd, but rimfires tend to be hard on scopes. I had the crosshairs collapse in a cheap 4 power on a Marlin 60. mtmuley

Also, scopes designed for .22 have the parallax set at 50 yards, where a scope for highpower rifles have them set at 100 yards (unless it has adjustable parallax).

Semi-auto's maybe, but this one is going on a bolt action.

the nikon prostaff 3x9 with the bdc recital will run you about 120 or ebay and couple other places. its a nice rimfire scope for the money.

Ummmmmm. Point is, rimfires, and airguns too, have different effects on scopes than do heavier kicking rifles. Google it. mtmuley

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back