$20k+ and what to do?

I'd take me and dad on a fly in Alaskan moose hunt, no question. That's on my bucket list for us before he can't hunt anymore. Thankfully I've probably got 10-15 years left.

I would do an Kodiak Mountain Goat hunt with the first 10k then a year later do a Newfoundland moose caribou combo. While keeping the money invested and maybe sneak a third hunt out of it like Axis Deer in Lanai.

I've always said if I had a windfall (like lottery) I'd put it in a 1 yr cd so I could spend it with a cool head.

Of course you have all your financial life in order. Save $4000 for one full body mount That leaves $19,000 Figure $200 per day for travel to and from so there is another $1000-1200 off the top. Now your budget is $18,000.

I think that puts you in Africa trip range....

Yukon Moose is 24k. Combined with anything else is up to 50K.

Alright, my dear ladies and gents.
Almost 2 Years ago, I was driving out of my subdivision here in WI in my Prius (laughs anticipated), and an SUV went through a yield sign causing me to T-bone him. To defend the Prius, one of theirs went to the hospital, whereas I staggered out and was in command of the police report. Long story short, I ended up with a ~$23k settlement and significant daily neck pain for 2 years. Thanks to PT and God/time, it has gotten better.
The wife and I have agreed that the settlement money is ‘my money’ = hunting money.
Soooooo....if you were a dumbass Midwesterner like me, and had a nugget to spend on hunting trips, what would you do??
Perspective, I apply in a lot of western states already, and do at least 1 OTC/Easy draw hunt each year. My ultimate dream is a sheep slam.

Go to a Seahawks game!!! Kidding. On the serious note. Pay off any debt first to stop paying the man. Second, pay yourself by putting a LARGE chunk into saving becomes rainy days always come, and then take a couple of thousand and take yourself on a pack in elk hunt.

If it was true extra-money I’d head to Alaska for a bug out brown bear trip on Kodiak Island. I have a buddy that’s done it and he said it was the most exhilarating (terrifying) and rewarding hunting trip he’s ever done.

If it were me, I'd invest in (or upgrade) my gear for hunting out west every year then with what remained, take the wife on a nice vacation that could be combined with a hunt, I really like the NZ idea. It would be cool to do a week of sightseeing, a week hunting and a week fly fishing. Personally I would be sorely tempted to do a plains game hunt in Africa and add on a Cape Buffalo.

Thanks for the input but not super relevant (unless something new pops up). Paid up to get X-rayed and all is good. I honestly think I’m in a different scenario and this is n/a.
Again, thanks to really good PT and platinum insurance (thanks for an amazing employer), 🙏🏽 I’m healed, sorted and good to go. I also have decent retirement / savings / Rental funds available, so life is good. 😉

this thread is more about: if you had $23k to throw at hunting, what would you do??

I sure wouldn't spend the whole nut on one hunt.

I would think about putting a deposit on a stone sheep hunt (if you have done quite a bit of hunting and have the ability to kill animals when you want too. If not, then stay in the lower 48 until you kill animals regularly). At some point you will need the stone and I think there is a chance the dall sheep hunts will get cheaper or you can draw an awesome tag in Alaska. Either way it might be a good idea to get that out of the way.

If it were me....

I know it won't cover it, but I'd put it towards purchasing some solid hunting land that is near by. You mentioned you're frugal, and already take some trips out west. If you can continue your trips out west I'd do that, but also have a place that you can hunt close by. That way you can do whatever you want whenever you want. Just get away for a weekend to build a campfire and drink whiskey, take a buddy or a newbie hunting, get to know the place very intimately, and possibly hunt birds, deer, small game and predators. There is no replacing the experience of hunting out west, but you have to love the freedom that comes with owning your own land.

If it were me....

I know it won't cover it, but I'd put it towards purchasing some solid hunting land that is near by. You mentioned you're frugal, and already take some trips out west. If you can continue your trips out west I'd do that, but also have a place that you can hunt close by. That way you can do whatever you want whenever you want. Just get away for a weekend to build a campfire and drink whiskey, take a buddy or a newbie hunting, get to know the place very intimately, and possibly hunt birds, deer, small game and predators. There is no replacing the experience of hunting out west, but you have to love the freedom that comes with owning your own land.

Some folks don't want to be tied down to a place that you have to board up for the winter and clean up in the spring. 2x the work of just having a home, and you have to do it on your "spare" time. I think we have other threads devoted to that topic.

OP has narrowed it down to "what hunt for $X".

I am not a sheep guy but I can give you what I see as a compromise that could fund a nice hunt now and work toward a Dall trip while still trying to draw D/BH tags in the lower 48. I would find a good quality BC moose hunt (maybe with a combo possibility) for about half of what you have while investing the other half to fund the Dall in the not too far future.

Alternatively, have you ever thought about (as a sheep guy) Aoudad in TX/NM? What about mouflon in Europe? The mouflon trip could give the wife a trip to Europe too. ;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back