Yeti GOBOX Collection

$20k+ and what to do?

Tell me about this. Charting up up up up up. You don't see a big correction anytiime soon?
If I thought I was smart enough to time the market reliably I would change jobs. ;)
If someone is planning on retiring in the next year they shouldn't have all their money invested in the stock market.

Over the next 20 years I believe it will rise. That's my outlook.

If your dream is a sheep slam you cannot start hunting them too soon, and at today's prices, you'll need to add another 0 to your $23,000 for all 4 hunts. Dall sheep hunts are the least expensive, and I think you might find one in Canada's Yukon or Northwest Territories for your $23K.

I did my Dall sheep hunt in the Northwest Territories abut 20 years ago on a cancellation backpack hunt and I was lucky enough to also shoot a Mountain Caribou and a Wolverine for just the cost of the tags.

Last January I talked to a Stone sheep outfitter at a sport show and his price for a horseback Stone sheep hunt was $55K and among his other add-ons was a 15% tip for his guide. I didn't book the hunt.

Sounds like you really want to go sheep hunting and a dall sheep hunt is the only one within that budget aside from drawing a tag. Even then, you will probably spend more than than getting a dall, but there might be some cancellations resulting from the corona virus and you might get a good deal this year (although you will need to get up there fast). If that is what you want to do, start calling outfitters and tell us the story when you get back.

I'd be Alaska/Yukon bound as well. Personally, Moose interests me more at the moment, because of size and meat, BUT a sheep hunt would likely be an even bigger adventure. If I thought I'd do both, I'd do sheep first while I'm younger. Best of luck on what you decide.

"Nothing is more expensive than regret." Fred Bear.

Your $23k will get your started on the below list. Withdraw from your home equity, 401k or IRA to capture the remaining $90k+...You can't take it with you.....

Kodiak, Alaska mountain goat (guided), $11k+
DIY Alaska moose, drop camp or float, $8k+
Alaska dall's sheep (guided), $25k+
South Africa plains game (guided), $9k+
New Zealand mountain hunt, stag, tahr, chamois, (guided), $15k+
Cameroon bongo and sitatunga, (guided), $45k+

Anything left over then try for Stone, Desert, and Rocky Mountain BH. Good luck.

Happy travels and mostly happy hunting!

"Nothing is more expensive than regret." Fred Bear.

Your $23k will get your started on the below list. Withdraw from your home equity, 401k or IRA to capture the remaining $90k+...You can't take it with you.....

Kodiak, Alaska mountain goat (guided), $11k+
DIY Alaska moose, drop camp or float, $8k+
Alaska dall's sheep (guided), $25k+
South Africa plains game (guided), $9k+
New Zealand mountain hunt, stag, tahr, chamois, (guided), $15k+
Cameroon bongo and sitatunga, (guided), $45k+

Anything left over then try for Stone, Desert, and Rocky Mountain BH. Good luck.

Happy travels and mostly happy hunting!

No.

No, No.

I can't take it with me, but I can give me kids and grandkids a better start than I had, which was a better start than my dad had.

Id look to maximize my 20k you can find sweet deals on cancelation hunts for dalls and stones. Get one of them for a good deal then go to New Zealand and hunt tahr. You might even have enough to clean up on an Auodad in Texas to.......

Since sheep hunting is your dream, sounds like you need to book a Dall sheep hunt! With a little luck that will leave you about 40 years to figure out how to get the other 3

Id look to maximize my 20k you can find sweet deals on cancelation hunts for dalls and stones. Get one of them for a good deal then go to New Zealand and hunt tahr. You might even have enough to clean up on an Auodad in Texas to.......

i was worried you were going to suggest a "Texas Dall"

If you're wanting sheep, I'd do a dall hunt in either Alaska or Canada. I'd also look for a combo hunt and try to get a moose, caribou, or bear on the same hunt.

The other thing you might consider if your schedule allows is to be on the lookout for cancellation hunts. With a flexible schedule I have seen some screaming deals over the years.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I like how you're thinking.

Back