$20k+ and what to do?

Cheesehead

Alright, my dear ladies and gents.
Almost 2 Years ago, I was driving out of my subdivision here in WI in my Prius (laughs anticipated), and an SUV went through a yield sign causing me to T-bone him. To defend the Prius, one of theirs went to the hospital, whereas I staggered out and was in command of the police report. Long story short, I ended up with a ~$23k settlement and significant daily neck pain for 2 years. Thanks to PT and God/time, it has gotten better.
The wife and I have agreed that the settlement money is ‘my money’ = hunting money.
Soooooo....if you were a dumbass Midwesterner like me, and had a nugget to spend on hunting trips, what would you do??
Perspective, I apply in a lot of western states already, and do at least 1 OTC/Easy draw hunt each year. My ultimate dream is a sheep slam.

I personally know a few people in your scenario. 10, 15, 20 years after the accident medical issues only get worse, and more expensive. I'll second the S&P 500 index fund, and withdraw when you need to use for medical expenses related to the accident. If you're really lucky, the amount you were awarded + interest will cover the costs of your future medical bills.

S&P 500 Index Fund.
Yep. I like where you’re coming from. But I’m a pretty frugal dude who makes a fair bit of dough and am very investment-savvy. Currently on track to be well ahead in terms of retirement.
So this is the proverbial ‘I have an excuse to go do what I want while I am young enough (33 y/o) to do whatever I can do.’ situation.
I rarely give myself permission to spend significant money on these things but also realize I am not getting any younger.

Yep. I like where you’re coming from. But I’m a pretty frugal dude who makes a fair bit of dough and am very investment-savvy. Currently on track to be well ahead in terms of retirement.
So this is the proverbial ‘I have an excuse to go do what I want while I am young enough (33 y/o) to do whatever I can do.’ situation.
I rarely give myself permission to spend significant money on these things but also realize I am not getting any younger.
Yeah you might get run over by a beer truck tomorrow. Go Huntin!

Put in an S&P Index fund which is low-cost such as VTI. Set dividends to reinvest.

If have never been on a Pronghorn hunt then that can be a goal for 2021 though a chance will be summer 2022 before things are normal again. You can buy a point for pronghorn in WY right now so will have a larger choice for what unit to apply for as a 1st Choice in the future.

If you have been on a pronghorn hunt then can go on another.

I looked at moose hunts in Canada and Alberta seemed to be the sweet spot on value, harvest odds and animal size. Yukon would be much bigger moose though if only have one moose on the wall...will be plenty big not matter if 40" wide or 65" wide.

Sorry about the neck issue. Not much fun. Glad are doing better.

I personally know a few people in your scenario. 10, 15, 20 years after the accident medical issues only get worse, and more expensive. I'll second the S&P 500 index fund, and withdraw when you need to use for medical expenses related to the accident. If you're really lucky, the amount you were awarded + interest will cover the costs of your future medical bills.
Thanks for the input but not super relevant (unless something new pops up). Paid up to get X-rayed and all is good. I honestly think I’m in a different scenario and this is n/a.
Again, thanks to really good PT and platinum insurance (thanks for an amazing employer), 🙏🏽 I’m healed, sorted and good to go. I also have decent retirement / savings / Rental funds available, so life is good. 😉

this thread is more about: if you had $23k to throw at hunting, what would you do??

Last edited:
The question is what is your dream hunt? We all likely have a different dream hunt, some costing very little money and some costing a huge chunk. What are the hunts you have always wanted to do? We can help you narrow down a list!

Put in an S&P Index fund which is low-cost such as VTI. Set dividends to reinvest.

If have never been on a Pronghorn hunt then that can be a goal for 2021 though a chance will be summer 2022 before things are normal again. You can buy a point for pronghorn in WY right now so will have a larger choice for what unit to apply for as a 1st Choice in the future.

If you have been on a pronghorn hunt then can go on another.

I looked at moose hunts in Canada and Alberta seemed to be the sweet spot on value, harvest odds and animal size. Yukon would be much bigger moose though if only have one moose on the wall...will be plenty big not matter if 40" wide or 65" wide.

Sorry about the neck issue. Not much fun. Glad are doing better.
Thanks for the input. Man, it is a life changer to move on from chronic pain. No fun

I terms I’d money, I throw a lot of my personal wealth towards S&P Index funds, leaning heavily towards our dear friend John Bogle, who was an amazing human that we all should study.

I love that you bring up antelope.

I have my first antelope tag this year in WYunit XX. I am super excited. Tinkled pink. Already budgeting for the taxidermist.

I love the idea of doing a Canadian moose hunt. Will continue looking into that. 😉

Last edited:
Alaska for sure! Then you get the trophy and the meat. From what I have heard about Africa you can’t bring home the meat.

Best advice I can give, figure what you want & where you want to hunt. Then do the research on outfitters. The best place for meeting outfitters is WSF show in Reno or SCI.

Find what your dream is, and do it.

Be responsible, but live life man. I like your attitude. I love hunting anywhere and anything, but Africa keeps calling me back. I spent years saving from side jobs to go and hunt tuskless elephant and cape buffalo when I was 30.

I save money and invest and am in a state pension plan as well...but I got a cancer diagnosis at 25 and I looked at time on Earth a bit differently.

I have only regretted trips not taken, stories untold, and adventures unlived.

Also just a thought is if you plan on getting any animals mounted your taxidermy bill can be pretty costly, especially for bigger/ exotic mounts. So I personally wouldn't throw all 20k at hunts. I'd do 1 or 2 cool hunts and use the rest on a good taxidermy job, but that's just me.

Alright, my dear ladies and gents.
Almost 2 Years ago, I was driving out of my subdivision here in WI in my Prius (laughs anticipated), and an SUV went through a yield sign causing me to T-bone him. To defend the Prius, one of theirs went to the hospital, whereas I staggered out and was in command of the police report. Long story short, I ended up with a ~$23k settlement and significant daily neck pain for 2 years. Thanks to PT and God/time, it has gotten better.
The wife and I have agreed that the settlement money is ‘my money’ = hunting money.
Soooooo....if you were a dumbass Midwesterner like me, and had a nugget to spend on hunting trips, what would you do??
Perspective, I apply in a lot of western states already, and do at least 1 OTC/Easy draw hunt each year. My ultimate dream is a sheep slam.
I know you are wanting advice, and advice can be tough when it’s not in person or around a fire swapping stories or values. So what would you say is the most important to you when you’re doing these hunts? Specific place or dream location? Are others with you? Is it quick in/out or are you there for longer? Sounds like you’re pumped about sheep which makes even more sense given you’ve been in pain for the last two years and maybe even worried you’d never get back out there.
Re tools, what are some things you might need for the hunt and scouting (gear as well as info like a gohunt subscription)?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back