Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2023 NCAA Wrestling March Madness

Thank you @Gellar for your yearly analysis, I really enjoy it

Same here, Gellar you made this way more fun to watch by adding some context.

I know a little (very little, but a hit) about what I’m seeing, but don’t know much about most individual wrestlers outside of WI, Iowa and PSU- your rundowns were cool, hope you do it again next year.

Same here, Gellar you made this way more fun to watch by adding some context.

I know a little (very little, but a hit) about what I’m seeing, but don’t know much about most individual wrestlers outside of WI, Iowa and PSU- your rundowns were cool, hope you do it again next year.
Thank you!
What is the back story with this guy?

Not sure about the disdain. He can be kind of arrogant at times. He transferred to Iowa with 2 years of eligibility left. He graduated from Stanford in 3 years. 2 time all American I believe before he came to Iowa.

I think 3 rules need to be changed for next year.

1. Stalling - if you are on the edge of the mat or your opponent shoots you out of bounds and you have no where to go but out of bounds that is not stalling. Now, if you flee the mat to get away that should be a point and stalling.

2. Review - a lot of reviews result in the right call, but if it takes you more than 90 seconds to watch and rewatch a call in multiple angles to see if the call was correct it’s taking to long. Endurance is a major factor in college wrestling and a break like that could potentially have more impact than a missed locked hands call.

3. Points on the edge of the mat - if you are going to allow a person to get a takedown or a pin or whatever with one toe on the out of bounds line the mat beyond the circle needs to be big enough to finish the moves. It’s bs when a person getting taken down fully extends their arm to put their hand off the mat and stops his opponent from scoring.

Probably not going to happen, but I would like to see another weight class in the 220-230 range. Just too much difference between between 197 and HWT. Tough for a guy in that weight range to compete when they give up 40 to 50 lbs. Snyder being an exception of course.

Last edited:
Always glad to see this thread come up and follow along. My boys and I never got a chance to get down to Corvallis and watch Oregon State this year, and I was working the weekend of the championships. Glad to see Munoz get All-American for the Beavers.

QQ

Facebook decided that I wanted two watch two ends of matches over the weekend…..Brothers wrestling for 3/4 in Div III and sisters in NAIA. The brothers match was decided in overtime, while the sisters match ended with a pin.

Both matches ended very differently than most, with joy/sorrow evidenced in both wrestlers.

Probably not going to happen, but I would like to see another weight class in the 220-230 range. Just too much difference between between 197 and HWT. Tough for a guy in that weight range to compete when they give up 40 to 50 lbs. Snider being an exception of course.
No reason there is not. High school has 220 and international has 97 kilos (213 lbs) It would get some studs at it for sure. Parris probably would have been in that range for a couple of years and I’d guess Snyder would have wrestled that weight for a few years or maybe his college career.

No reason there is not. High school has 220 and international has 97 kilos (213 lbs) It would get some studs at it for sure. Parris probably would have been in that range for a couple of years and I’d guess Snyder would have wrestled that weight for a few years or maybe his college career.
Not to date me, but when I was in high school we went from 185 to HWT

I am betting the reason has to do with money.

I am betting the reason has to do with money.
IDK, it makes sense to me to have that extra weight. A lot of the true studs in that range play football, but I think there were a few heavyweights this year that could have been down to that 220 range. The guy from Air Force and the guy from Northwestern come to mind. Probably Hilger from Wisconsin too.
Iowa has a kid coming that next year that is signed to play football and wrestle. He was a 4 time undefeated state champion at 215. Football will want him around 230-240 to play linebacker or D end.

Same here. The funny part was that our heavyweight had the hardest time making weight of the whole team… and he was like 5-6”.
I remember looking at all of the state medalist pictured in our wrestling room and some of the unlimited heavyweights were huge!
We had 215 but I think it was just a year or 2 before i got to high school that it started. I wrestled 152 as a freshman and 160 sophomore and junior year. I started at 160 as a senior but bumped up to 171 after a few weigh ins.

IDK, it makes sense to me to have that extra weight. A lot of the true studs in that range play football, but I think there were a few heavyweights this year that could have been down to that 220 range. The guy from Air Force and the guy from Northwestern come to mind. Probably Hilger from Wisconsin too.
Iowa has a kid coming that next year that is signed to play football and wrestle. He was a 4 time undefeated state champion at 215. Football will want him around 230-240 to play linebacker or D end.
The guy from Air Force was impressive. Should have taken neutral instead of down in the semis. He might have won if he had.

The guy from Air Force was impressive. Should have taken neutral instead of down in the semis. He might have won if he had.
I thought the Air Force wrestler broke kerkvleit after he basically just horsed kerk to a takedown in the first period. Kerk just based out with an O crap! Look on his face. I did not know anything about him other than he was a pinner. but he was impressive. He graduated early and is being commissioned as an officer.

Last edited:
Back