MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2014 Montana Archery Antelope

Elkwhisper

As a traveling salesman, I never leave home without my bow during the season, and this time it paid off. Thanks to the OnXMaps ap I recently installed on my Ipad, I was able to find access to a small piece of State land, and was able to notch my tag before work on Friday morning. Far from my biggest buck, but with the lack of time I have this year, he will certainly do.

So far the new Bowtech RPM 360 is 100% on critters. Hope that holds true come elk season!

Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• GOAT14.jpg
    GOAT14.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 635
Nice. I rarely leave home without the bow, fly rods, and .22-250.

For some reason, your track records provides little reason to be surprised that you "Punched a tag on your way to work." You have a knack for such things. Congrats.

I am guessing you may have had to reschedule a couple of appointments. Congratulations on archery success.

I tell you what, after the rough start I've had that lope looks pretty good.

On the opener (after driving the 140 miles to my location) and hunting the day, when my buddy drove to pick me up, I noticed my truck leaking oil. checked the stick, and there was a no show. I had to get to cell service, so I drove the truck to where I got the first bar on my phone and called a friend that lived an hour and a half away, and begged him to rescue us and bring 4 gallons of oil. He showed up at midnight and we then begged him and his wife to go back to our camp site and wait while we dismantled it.

We then filled old red (my truck) up with 9 quarts of oil. and headed out. Every 18 miles or so I had to add another 2 quarts. We made the trip to his house in the Big Hole Valley, and spent the night. Next morning headed to Wisdom and bought 4 more gallons of oil.

Made the trip back to the Root while only having to stop in Darby for another quart. So I'was getting 32 miles to the gallon of oil.

Feared the worst for old red, but it turned out to be seals that went bad and a quick fix.

So this weekend rolls around and off we headed again. I drove to the spot I wanted to set up a blind, packed all my gear in (drinks, food, reclining chair, etc.) and drove the truck to a draw nearby to wait out the night and get some shut eye. Middle of the night, she starts to dump (what Forest Gump would say was the big fat rain) in gallon buckets. Daylight broke still raining so no sense in sitting in a blind over water so I went on a walk about. Got back to the truck around 1:00 PM and headed down the mountain to meet by partner when I realize that a loona had defecated all over the mountain roads in massive quantities. At least they seemed that way because going down hill the old truck slid like a luge sled at the winter Olympics. I was really glad to make it to pavement, and drove to my buddies trailer. There I lubed myself for the rest of the day as the rain only got worse.

Next morning it would have been sue aside to try and get out in the gumbo. Around 1:00 I made the scary drive back to the blind to hunt the remainder of the day and get my things.

So yea congrats on the lope. He surely looks like a shooter to me.

Back