Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2011 MT Elkhorns Bull

bighouse

Well I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of my MT unit 380-20 elk hunt. Had a great trip to MT. After going 11 days in UT on my LE archery elk hunt and coming home empty handed the pressure was building to have a successful trip to MT. Plan was to hunt the first 8 days of the rifle season and fill my unit 380 bull tag and my unit 215 antelope tag (will post on the antelope forum).

A special thanks to all that helped me on this hunt. The people of MT were a great pleasure to talk to and were more than will to pass along any info they had for this next to impossible to draw tag. One person I want to truly thank is "FishN4Eyes" Chris and his family are some of the most kind and generous people I have ever met. I would also like to thank my buddy Scott who drove all the way from CA to help out.

I ended up killing my bull on the opening morning of the season. I am very happy as he is my biggest bull to date. I know he is not the biggest bull on that mountain but after all the stories I had heard of guys eating tag soup or struggling to kill a bull till the last few days of the season I did not hesitate. Not to mention the masses of spike and cow hunters. Why they have a open spike hunt and give hundreds of cow tags during the same season as a bull tag of this caliber is puzzling.

Thanks again MT for offering such a wonderful place to chase these majestic animals.

Adam

Attachments

• 6335845473_b992b0ac88_z.jpg
    6335845473_b992b0ac88_z.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 2,012
  • 6336601480_000274d3c9_z.jpg
    6336601480_000274d3c9_z.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 1,880
Great bull...congrats.

That tag is not as easy as people think.

I agree with you on the cow and spike hunters...same thing with cow hunters in the breaks. Not sure why Montana allows it, considering they have so very few "trophy" areas, or more accurately, hard to draw LE areas.

Great job BH.I know there are still some tag holders looking for a bull,had a few calls,...people trolling.Haven't been up in the Elkhorns much this season,except this morning to help a friend get his first elk out.Thats always fun.

That is a great bull.

Cow hunters during special bull seasons piss me off as well. I understand they need a hunt but why not a later date? Last 2 years in Wyoming I have run into cow huters just out there to call bulls and "video" them. Seems silly.

Great bull. I've heard from some other guys that hunt gets pretty tough come rifle season. Definitely wouldn't have passed him up if I were you.

Great bull...congrats.

That tag is not as easy as people think.

I agree with you on the cow and spike hunters...same thing with cow hunters in the breaks. Not sure why Montana allows it, considering they have so very few "trophy" areas, or more accurately, hard to draw LE areas.

Breaks and the surrounding HD's are overpopulation according to the EMP. MT is an opportunity state, so you get the good with the bad.

Why even limit the breaks tags at all then?

Lets get some fuggin' opportunity! Open it up to general tags.

Its just sad when you hunt there and see the potential...but realize the whining landowners and EMP wont ever let it happen.

Truly unbelievable.

Last edited:
I don't think I can handle a Breaks elk discussion tonight.

A lot of us are trying to get FWP to re-open the EMP and get them to adapt, improvise and overcome their own bureaucracy.

I'm still jealous!! Hehehe...great job man. What an awesome hunt and by the sounds of it a great season too. You should post pics of your UT hunt. Trophy or not, I bet you saw some awesome country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back