Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Finding Spikes

bisblue

Hey folks,

I was lucky enough to fill my Idaho elk tag on Sept 1 with a yearling cow, also my first elk with a stickbow. I went and bought a second A (archery) tag, that also has a short rifle spike season in some of the unit, and a short range cow season in November in some of the unit.

I was able to call for two friends who got shot opportunities on bulls in Sept, but I didn't get a second chance.

Just curious if anyone has any tips of tricks for locating spikes? I've been getting into some groups of cows without a bull, and done some lost calf calling in the general area as well. But just not finding the secret sauce to get into them. This area tends to be steep, dark timber with smaller herds.

We're packing in with my llamas tomorrow evening until Monday since rifle deer just started, but I picked an area that also has some ok glassing and elk around as I'd rather focus on getting a spike if possible.

Compress_20230901_215620_0294.jpg20220701_122522.jpg

Attachments

• 20220701_122522.jpg
    20220701_122522.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 4
Only one I ever killed during a spike only season was just mixed in with a cow group. I hated hunting the spike only seasons. I used to see a number of spike x 2 and similar bulls. A person has to be careful that the elk are truly a spike

Spikes are usually running with the cows in my experience. If they aren’t running with the cows, good chance they are to big.

If you see one solo though you should be able to cow call into bow range without much effort. I’ve called them straight in to 20 yards or so sitting on a hillside. Can’t shoot them here though.

Only one I ever killed during a spike only season was just mixed in with a cow group. I hated hunting the spike only seasons. I used to see a number of spike x 2 and similar bulls. A person has to be careful that the elk are truly a spike
Yeah I passed on a last minute rifle shot last week since I couldn't guarantee he didn't have any little 1" extras poking out in the low light.

Last edited:
My family kills spikes for meat when the brow times are hiding in hell holes. After 3-4 days of hell we’ll take an easier hunt to specifically hunt the cow herds for spikes or the occasional rag horn.

Go hunt the cow herds. They usually have a spike or two hanging with them. In my area and later hunt dates the cows have usually migrated down from the high country to the middle to upper lower country.

Attachments

• IMG_3723.jpeg
    IMG_3723.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3709.jpeg
    IMG_3709.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
I have either seen spikes running with a herd of cows, or off by themselves. I can't recall seeing many ever running with a bachelor herd of bulls.

Jeepers I’ve killed about 30 or so spikes, Kinda surprised me to when I thought about it. Early November time frame they’ll be in with the cows. We shot three last year out of one big herd, hard part was getting the cows to clear. Oregon has been running spike only hunts since the early 90s in a lot of units. We see a lot with small forks, fella needs to look close. Good luck.

Jeepers I’ve killed about 30 or so spikes, Kinda surprised me to when I thought about it. Early November time frame they’ll be in with the cows. We shot three last year out of one big herd, hard part was getting the cows to clear. Oregon has been running spike only hunts since the early 90s in a lot of units. We see a lot with small forks, fella needs to look close. Good luck.
I've been watching a couple groups of 6-7 cows and calves. Just waiting for the right moment for a spike to be in tow. Thanks for the info.
Compress_20231011_202714_4165.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back