Caribou Gear Tarp

2010 Wyoming Antelope

BuzzH

After leaving Anchorage at 12:55 AM Thursday morning and getting into Laramie at 2 PM, I had just enough time to straighten out my hunting gear and head out with my wife for an antelope hunt.

While scouting this summer, I found a really good buck that I wanted to get. I thought alot about that buck while on my moose hunt. I was pretty sure that nobody would find it, as it was in a spot not many people would look.

Pat and I decided to try to find him right away on Friday morning. We went and looked for him, but I couldnt find him. We saw some other antelope, but not the one I had filmed and seen on my last scouting trip. He was a heavy buck with a great prong and good length, a buck you just dont mistake.

We decided to try another area that Pat and I found and where Pat killed a B&C buck a few years ago. We looked over quite a few antelope but didnt see anything great. Plus, our area was a bit crowded so we decided to go back and look for the buck I'd seen while scouting.

Sure enough, we found him about 3 PM or so. Still not sure how we missed him earlier in the day, maybe he was down in a draw or chasing away another buck. But, anyway, there he was. We closed the distance to about 350 yards and I decided that Pat should take him. I knew the shot was too far for her, so we waited. Eventually they fed over a small saddle and we made our move. We got into about 150 yards and I looked at the buck through my binoculars...from that range, it was apparent he was a very, very good buck, likely Pats best buck yet.

Pat got set up on the bipod and made a nice shot. We walked up to him and we were not disappointed with what we found.

Great mass, great prong, and good length:

IMG_3895.JPG

Another look:

IMG_3898.JPG

The next morning, with Pats tag hanging from my first choice buck, it was off to find one for me.

About noon, I was looking over some new country and found one that looked promising. I immediately liked the looks of his prongs and how they turned inward. I also liked the way the horns hooked, so figured I'd get a closer look. I put a great stalk on him and got to about 120 yards. I studied him for about 5 minutes through my spotting scope. I just couldnt resist shooting him, inward flaring prongs, along with the hard hooks. I shot him prone from 120 yards.

IMG_3919.JPG

Another look:

IMG_3922.JPG

I guess our JRT, Bella, decided she was getting left out of the pictures, so took quick and appropriate action:

IMG_3923.JPG

What a great 2 weeks of vacation I've had, and I'm still looking forward to a lot of hunting this year. I hope the remainder of the season goes as well.

Nice bucks! Pretty sure I saw your buck on Thursday, just can't remember where.

I'm surprised you guys were crowded. You two were the only hunters we saw out there when we were hunting.

Great bucks for both of you congrats. Gotta love the scene stealing dog.

Wow congrats on a couple of huge goats. You and your wife definitely get things done. Congrats again.

Wow, Buzz, those are two great goats. That one of Pat's is an amazing buck. I really love my wife, but when it comes to pronghorn, I would have been very tempted to shoot that one out from underneath her. Congrats.

Nice looking speed goats for the both of you. Congrats on getting it done and good luck the rest of the season. Your off to a smokin start!

Nice job on the goats, and thanks for making sure the dog shot got in there, they've been missing this year.

Wow!! You're having a heck of a season! Those are some nice goats. Congrats to you and your wife and good luck the rest of the season.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back