2009 AZ Javelina. (Pic Heavy & Long)

AZ402

The hunt started Feb 20th. This was my 12 year old nephews 1st javelina tag, only his 2nd big game tag ever. The main goal was to get him on some pigs and see what happened.

Opening morning was fairly slow, except for all the deer we saw (coues & muley).

Monzie and Zane on the look out.

P1170524.jpg

Opening evening we went a spot not far from our morning hunt. At about 5:30 I picked up a small herd. We made our way down to them and came up with a plan. We located them on the side of a steep hill. I ranged the biggest one at 309yrds. We couldn't get closer or we would have lost our line of sight on them. I had Armando get set up but he wasn't comfortable at that distance. He wanted me to take the shot so he could see one dead.

I set up and let one shot go, clean miss. The pig moved a few yards and stopped. I shot again, clean miss again but this time I could tell I was high. The next shot dropped him at 315yrds. I hadn't planned on using a rifle but the circumstance made it pretty fun.

Sorry for the crummy pics on this. I left my pack at the truck when we took off after them. It was dark by the time we made it back.

My 2009 Javelina.

P1170531.jpg

The opening day crew (Monzie and his best bud Zane and my sisters BF)

P1170535.jpg

The next morning was very similar to the first, deer, coyotes and a bald eagle was all we saw.

Here is a little fauna.

I call this one Ouch.

P1170539.jpg

I call this one Muther Ouch.

P1170538.jpg

Second evening of the hunt we go to the same area as the first evening. Around 5 P.M. I pick a herd up about a mile away. I ask Monzie if he wants to go after them, he said yes. The walk was a lot of steep up and down.

We made it to them and found the herd to be quite big, 20+. We got set up on a pair at the end of the herd. Monzie and his .243 made the shot on this sow. His first big game animal ever.

P1170542.jpg

P1170556.jpg

Our best impression of Mossback (Mike, Dave (Redline410 on HT), Me, Zane and Armando)

P1170554.jpg

Monzie getting ready for the pack-out.

101_02161.jpg

Thanks to Dave (Redline410) for making the long trip up to help out.

Oh yeah, Sunday morning, trouble from Idaho arrived.

P1170560.jpg

Nice job, Stan. Thanks for the pics.

I think I see why it may take until Thursday...

Looks like a great time, congrats. Good luck the rest of the week

Cool pictures of the hunt and congrats to you and your Nephew.

How do you explain the guys from Idaho to the innocent young hunters from AZ??

Cool Stan, I'm glad Monzie got to fill his tag.
You always rember your first big game kill.

Very nice! Congrats to your nephew. Looks like you had a much better weekend than I did...

Congrats on getting your nephew his jave. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Good luck on your next endeavor, it looks like you might have a tougher time with them.:D:D:D

Way to get those kids started AZ, great pics and story

Can't wait for the next installment

Thanks for the invite Stan, it was a blast. Hearing the Monz let out his "victory yell" after that little piggie went night-night was one of the cooler moments I've experienced in awhile. Big time congrats Armando- you did great kid!!

Thanks for the invite Stan, it was a blast. Hearing the Monz let out his "victory yell" after that little piggie went night-night was one of the cooler moments I've experienced in awhile. Big time congrats Armando- you did great kid!!

It was fun for sure, always some good laughs. Seeing his face when he pulled up from the gun after he hit the pig was cool. You could tell he had a major adrenaline pump going.

On to Turkey in late April, see you there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back