2008 AZ Strip buck (pics)

BOHNTR

Well, I never expected to be back this early......I'll actually have a few days to relax before Fred and I depart to Colorado for our backpacking trip. As you know, I didn't know I drew the Strip tag until late in the summer. Since I had already drawn a good Colorado tag that opened a week later, and I didn't have a lot of time to scout the most vast and remote real estate in the West, I decided I needed some help. I've never been on a guided type hunt, so I really didn't know who to call. After making a few calls to folks, and exchanging some PM's with a fellow madness member, I hooked up with Kory Bundy and asked for help. We hit it off from the first phone call. After several photos he sent me over the next few weeks I was getting pumped.

I arrived on the Strip on Wednesday. It's awesome country that is dry and vast that doesn't have a lot of deer.

AZ_Strip_Hunt_048.jpg

AZ_Strip_Hunt_049.jpg

But I had high hopes and confidence in Kory and his two guides (Garrett & Brady). As I followed Brady down the LONG dirt roads, canyons and wash-out to get to the camp site, I peered out the window wondering, "How am I going to spot deer in this?"

AZ_Strip_Hunt_047.jpg

Well, a couple of hours into the bumpy trip, my question was answered when I navigated a turn and looked over to my left. One of the biggest bucks I've seen was standing there looking at me. This was the first deer I saw on the Strip.......too bad it was two days before season. He bounded off and disappeared as magically as he appeared. If not for the photo I took of him, I might of thought I was seeing things. This is a monster folks!

AZ_Strip_Hunt_001.jpg

We finally made it to camp...set things up....and were off to glass for the evening. We saw very few deer, but did manage to see a few "dinks" on the Strip. I couldn't believe when I was told these caliber deer were probably 2.5/3.5 year old bucks. UNREAL.

AZ_Strip_Hunt_042.jpg

The evening before the opener, we had spotted four different bucks that I was willing to shoot opening day. One of which was the first buck photo I posted......the other was a down-hill buck that was 10 years old......he was massive with a lot of junk (named Centerfold). He'd gross around 200" but was only about 25" wide. The other was a 30" 4x4 with incredible main beams, but a little weak on the G3's......we figured he's score in the 180's. The last one was a beautiful typical 4x4 with long points and over 30" wide. He had one main beam shorter than the other, but he was an incredible typical. I named him (Short Beam). We left them undisturbed and went back to camp.......waiting for daybreak.

Kory knew exactly where these bucks would be in the morning, so we got up early and devised a plan. We would get into the area early and wait until daybreak to try and get closer to see exactly where they were for a stalk. As Garrett and I got out of the truck and began to walk, I felt the pressure build, as Garrett was going to try and film the entire hunt. I couldn't help but think, "What if I miss (which I've been known to do). It's no fun seeing a grown man cry on TV you know." :eek:

As we moved closer to the trees we figured they'd be feeding in, I spotted a buck feeding below us about 100 yards. It was Centerfold and two other smaller 150" type 4x4's. As Garrett and I whispered what to do next, Short beam stepped out.......amazingly he was completely rubbed out. Pretty darn early if you ask me. Guess he couldn't grow anymore antler or his neck would suffer.

I told Garrett I was going to try and move to their left since the wind would be better. He agreed so slowly down the hill we crept, keeping a watchful eye on the bucks. As we got closer, I peeked up over some sage brush and saw two 4x4's staring us down at 50 yards. We ducked down and were pinned there for about 10 minutes. They wouldn't budge......which was the demise of Short Beam. Since the smaller bucks wouldn't move, Center Fold and Short Beam showed up right behind them. About 20 yards further down the hill was the HUGE 4x6 (first photo). Being a smart old buck, ol' Short Beam new something was up and locked in on our position. He was quartering a bit but was clear of any other deer. I quickly ranged him and whispered to Garrett I was going to shoot. With the camera rolling (over the shoulder-kneeling), I shot a good arrow and heard a loud "thump" and watched the giant typical race down the hill. Short Beam went about 150 yards and I thought I saw him go down but wasn't sure. It all happened so fast....less than 10 seconds.

After reviewing the tape, we weren't sure exactly where the arrow impacted. We got in touch with Kory and Brady and waited for them them to meet up with us. I decided to go look for my arrow which I found covered in blood. Still not sure about the hit, Kory said, "look at this blood trail". It was the best blood trail I've ever had.......Stevie Wonder could have followed this trail. A short distance later, we found Short Beam. As Kory , Garret, and Brady were whooping it up, I was speechless sitting next to the buck for a few minutes before saying a word. You see this is the caliber and type of buck I've always wanted. A 31" perfectly symmetrical 4x4 that was tall and deep tines. A definite dream come true. Kory and his crew are the real deal. VERY honest and ethical guides who bowhunt and know their needs.

My Strip buck unofficially green scores 197 7/8" gross and nets about 192 7/8". He's 31" wide with 19.5" of mass per side. We'll see what he ends up when Ed tapes him out in 60 days. His name is definitely fitting, as his left main beam is only 22.5" long. His inside spread is 25 7/8' wide. Just a beautiful buck.

With all the excitement, I only took a few photos with my camera which aren't the best. But you get an idea. Kory took over 170 which he's forwarding to me on a CD, as they looked awesome through his viewfinder. Hope you enjoy the photos.......don't know if I can top this one, but I'll have fun trying this next weekend in Colorado!

AZ_Strip_Hunt_021.jpg

AZ_Strip_Hunt_029.jpg

Incredibly awesome! Finally, somebody who doesn't milk the money shot. :D Nice job Bohntr.

Thanks guys.....I'm living proof you don't have to be good to arrow a critter......just darn lucky! I still can't believe I tagged out on opening morning. That's NEVER happened for me.

Stan:

Thanks for the heads up on the Bundy Crew......they are AWESOME. If any of you ever draw that unit, I'd highly recommend them.

Very nice, congratulations!

The early archery successes being posted are really making me want to take up the stick and string again...

That is a tremendous deer. Holy smokes.

Roy, you say "lucky," but lucky is where hard work and preparation intersect. You have too many great bucks for it to be chalked up to "luck."

Your humility is admired, but you aren't fooling too many of us.;)

Congrats on a great buck. Good luck in CO.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back