2006 WY bear

BuzzH

Decided to try hunting spring bears in WY for the first time this year. I'm not a bear hunter by any stretch...although I'm starting to change my mind on that.

I got some great advice and help from Greenhorn on where I may be able to stumble into some bears, and I really appreciate the help. All I have to say is that Greenhorn knows his stuff on where bears like to live.

I hunted too high the first morning, spending more time falling through a couple feet of snow than looking for bears. I tried another spot, hiked 6.5 miles into a place that looked good. Not sure if it was the 86 degree weather, time of day or what but no bears. I hiked out and toward evening hiked into another one of the spots that Greenhorn mentioned as a good bet. I climbed a few hundred feet in elevation and sat down and started glassing. I saw 2 bears, but didnt have time to get to the bigger one and passed killing the other one.

The next morning I hiked into the same area in the dark, got set up and almost immediately saw 2 bears. One decent one and one that was smaller. I continued to look and found another bear. I hiked further up the drainage, saw one down by the creek eating grass, passed on it. Then glassed another on top of a ridge. I decided to try for that one and after an hour climb I was within 50 yards of the bear. It was a simple shot and the bear only ran about fifteen yards and piled up. Turned out to be just an average bear, but didnt have a single rub on it anywhere and a nice brown color. I'm pretty happy, but I cant wait until next spring to try it again. All total in 2 days I saw 12 bears, ten on the second day (by noon}...all lone bears, except for one sow/cub. I saw 4 bears on the hike back to the truck...they better wise up by next year.

Dont have pictures yet, still getting developed. Good thing I had the back-up camera as my freaking batteries went dead on the digital.

12 bear in two days....sweet!....got a gps location to share with the net?:D

JB,

The spot isnt mine and I doubt Greenhorn would be willing to share the info. I'm pretty darn sensitive when it comes to other peoples hunting spots.

I've been burned a couple times by people that cant keep their yaps shut.

I know you were kidding but really, I wish people had more respect for each others hunting areas. Good spots are tough to come by.

Congrats on getting a bear,can't wait for the pics.By the way I like your attitude on sharing hunting spots,I've gotten burned a few to many times myself.Just more carefull on letting out info now.

Congrats Buzz. I myself am no bear hunter, but am getting very tempted to give it a go. I've got a spot, I just need to find time in the spring to hunt it. Looking forward to the pics.

A "simple" shot and an average bear? Say it ain`t so Buzz!
Your hunts are usually more dramatic then this and ending with a Boone animal, you haven`t become "average" over the winter now have you?

Good job Buzz. Glad you had some luck over there. I made 2 runs and screwed both of them up, nearly drown on one try. Next year.. or maybe this fall for me.

"Average" Bear

I killed a 5 1/2 foot "average" or below average bear in the Bighorns in 1993. It was my first western big game animal. Stretched on my bedroom wall, my rug takes up most of the wall and looks pretty darned good.

I bet yours will too.

It took my best friend about four tries to ever connect on a bear. He would always wonder how big of a bear should he hold out for.

My advice - a bear is a bear is a bear.

I bet you had a great time. Even though in reality it isn't much different than any other hunting, I think it is still awfully exciting hunting a bear.

Heres a few photos of the hide...salted, fleshed, and ready for the tanner.

Not the best photos.

IMG_1156_1_1.JPG

IMG_1158_3_1.JPG

BuzzH, I'd say the color alone qualifies that as a trophy bear. That's the nice thing about bears it's not always skull size or weight that quanitfies a trophy. Color can be a big deal to some hunters. I've killed a few bears and a couple of them are pretty fair sized, but none of them have a hide as pretty as that one you killed. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I hope that I kill a bear that nice looking someday. A blonde or light brown bear is a very high priority for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back