2006 WY bear

stab,

When I get the field photos back...you'll notice it was raining like a bitch when I shot that bear. Secondly, I didnt shoot it in the guts and ass and leave it over-night which I heard is routine for you.

Third, I shot that bear right at the snow-line, and being picky about taking proper care of the animals I kill, I washed off quite a bit of the blood in the snow, not all of it.

Fourth, once I had salted the hide for 24 hours I shook all the salt off the hide and combed all the pine needles, etc. out of the hide. Dry blood comes off real easy, and there wasnt much to start with as I had a .284 caliber entrance hole behind the front leg of the bear and a quarter sized exit hole behind the leg on the off-side. Then I applied new salt for another 48 hours. The pictures were taken after I'd again combed the hair out again.

That bear skin is now dried to what you see in the pictures, folded, and sitting on a shelf in my garage.

In case you're wondering, thats how to properly take care of hides and capes.

I guess when you let someone else do your work for you...you wouldnt know that.

Now run along and see if you can find a bear to shoot that you can pick up with one hand...

Heart, lung shots bleed like crazy Buzz, if you have ever shot anything there i am sure you would know that. Since this is all new to you I will explain. Bear hair is long and thick (well on good bears) and hold a lot of blood you can not shake it out. You have killed one so you are a rookie I have killed 11 the smallest was like yours and yes I picked it up with one hand. Your origanial story made no mention or rain 86 degrees and hot is your descripition. You carry a comb with you? I will wait for field photos, dated I am sure. I have a Smith River permit so I am gone for a while but I am sure if they exist they will be posted when I get back. Stab out.

Stab you butthole, heres the field photo of Buzz and his bear, now shut up your pie hole. Seems wierd the ears are drooping on the bear. I think he caped it out and draped the hide over a larger taxidermy form to make it look bigger, what do you think?? I am an expert myself. I never killed a lot of bears but seen many pictures of them and this one looks doctored a little.
buzzbear.jpg

Stab,

Apparently you dont think the weather changes in 24 hours in the Northern Rockies? Thats pretty funny and shows how much you get outside and how much work you need with comprehension.

Where did you come up with the fact I've only killed one bear? Just the first year I've hunted them in the spring in Wyoming. I shot several in Montana when I lived there.

No, I dont carry a comb, but I have several brushes at home, along with a few 50 lb bags of salt, fleshing beam, knives, etc.

By the way...dont forget the boat/raft when you use that Smith Permit...that advice probably just saved you from looking like a dumbass when at the launch.

Nice Bear Buzz, Congrats!

I can't believe that you used that punny 7mag to shoot that thing with... ;)

Worked like a charm huh...

"advice probably just saved you from looking like a dumbass when at the launch."

No offense BuzzH, but I think it's a little too late for that.;)

Just for clarity to prove that stab knows nothing of what he is talking about. I worked for a master taxidermist during college. When you salt a hide, especially african game and thick skinned game such as a bear, you have to work it in really good. When you work it in it sometimes changes the color making it look tanned in areas. There should not be any areas that are red. If they are you will have to remove those when you have the hide turned into whatever you want. Salt also tends to stiffen many hides, which is why the hide doesn't look like a wet rag. I am not a master taxidermist myself but salted a ton of hides working for one. Stab you don't know anything about what you are talking about. Buzz has taken good care of his hide, if fact I am impressed he turned the lips the way he did. I can't see if there are any holes, but the picture looks like he did a good job.

Congrats buzz

Stab, you would be safer in texas!

image_73562.gif

Stab,
So you have killed 11 bears, how many of them are black colored? Let me guess.....11. You are so jealous of Buzz shooting a "BROWN" black bear that you just cant stand it. JEALOUSLY makes you look like a total ass on this thread.

Not to suggest you jump on the sword here stab....nor me on the bandwagon but, I've gotta agree with the others on a couple of points here- first being that even though our Mr. Buzz can be (somewhat? :D ) abrasive at times he does kill a lot of chit, used to work for a taxi himself, and has posted some of the mounts that he's done at home and they've looked top notch.

I don't have a bear in this fight but I think the horse has done stopped breathing......

MarvB said:
Not to suggest you jump on the sword here stab....nor me on the bandwagon but, I've gotta agree with the others on a couple of points here- first being that even though our Mr. Buzz can be (somewhat? :D ) abrasive at times he does kill a lot of chit, used to work for a taxi himself, and has posted some of the mounts that he's done at home and they've looked top notch.

I don't have a bear in this fight but I think the horse has done stopped breathing......

...are you trying to steal Ithaca's job?:D

LMAO Ken...I didn't think the sound of boots being pulled out of a bog were echoing around the board! :D Careful ya old fart or I might put you on my "no time for ex honda riders" list ;)

Good looking hide Buzz. The color on it is excellent, really like the light hairs on its back. Looking forward to the field pics.

I thought it was tanned too, but I skimmed through the story and Went back and read it. I will venture a Guess it was a Female bear. I will also guess Buzz was drinking water on his trip and Wearing Mendels for boots. But thats as far as I'm guessing.

Kick ASS on the bear Buzz. Monster or not.

I am back and what no field photos? What do all you Ensteins have to say now?

Clue # 3 Buzz ALWAYS posts field photos, and usually without any proding

I stand corrected, I am a little tired from rowing and catching fish!

Stab, I've looked at those pictures and I have a stringer of tanned bear hides hanging on the wall next to me here. Every single one of them have ears that are curled up and warped. Not one of them are long and floppy looking like the one in Buzz's photo. Also, the claws on nearly every one of mine, are bunched together tightly after tanned, not like in Buzz's photos.

I've noticed that on salted hides, they have a more whitish color on the underside. All my tanned bear hides have kind of a buckskin yellow color to them. Photo colors can be tricky, but this bear of Buzz's looks more white.

I'll bet you a case of beer there's a field photo that will show up here, maybe marginal in quality due to it being from a disposable camera. It'll show a steep narrow canyon with plenty of avalanche chutes, and a rainy day.

You can pay me the beer when I draw the mule deer permit I applied for over there and come to hunt this fall.

I kinda get the feeling our man Stab is accustomed to seeing "fleshed" hides with flesh still on them. If that's so then he has an incomplete notion of what a properly fleshed hide should look like.

WTG Buzz, nice bear

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back