Caribou Gear

Thanks for the correction erik.

Fricking tourist will be the death of this state yet. I heard that they were paving the denali highway also. Last fall when I was on it it wasnt paved but I was told by a lady in cantwell that they were paving from the paxson side first. Have you heard about this? I went as far as clearwater creek and it was still gravel.

I will want to be counted into this foray of trailer trash and what nots to have my place marked in history on this special day... :D
I also have an uncle in Achorage that is supposed to have some other tie's I will see what he can come up for me....[US] :D :D

"Well Clark, what we have here is an RV!" Style will never be my strong suit. Soooo,with this new "road" hunting law can you spot from the road? Just no shooting from closer than 400 yards? Welcome to Montana's (and Idaho, Wyming etcc...) having a bunch of tree humpers and bunny huggers coming in and telling you what is right and wrong. happy hunting, Casey

This is sounding better all the time.

Get some info together Oscar.

And recruit the help of our members from Alaska, you know the old saying, "nothing like a ace in the hole." ;)

Would be awesome but this dawg don't fly no way no how. I'll keep reading the thread..... And hope some folks wanna drive and there is a drive in/boat in camp possibly.

Any new ideas or thoughts on this trip???

Need to come up with something, this is a big trip, travel is expensive and needs alot of advanced planning for most of us "plain" folk. :D

That lake clack link looks pretty good....
I did notice that is cost more to fish there then it did hunt there... cool page

Thanks

Delw

My brother has lived in Alaska the last 8 years and I have been to the haul road several times and familiar with it. A rifle hunter(not sure with the new rules this year) could pretty much have a slam dunk, but he had to go beyond the "5-mile corridor"......and imaginary line unmarked but the boys flying above you in the planes knew exactly where it was! It is flat country and with then right snowfall, you can sled out the Bou no problem.....without the right snowfall, your screwed!

Bowhunting was a piece of cake when you could do it from the road...they would drive slowly by while the Bou 30 yards away watched the vehicle but not the guy slipping out the opposite side passenger door....the Bou stays focussed on the car leaving while the archer comes to full draw in the ditch bank...I've seen the videos of this and it is actually quite funny. But it sounds like that is one of the reasons for the new changes.

I have some connections that offer a drop camp for around $1600 and then you have airfare to and from that would run you $500 to $600 depending on when you book...your still looking at around $2000-$2100 anyway you count and that is a minimum.....may be $300-$400 more depending on ground transportaion and other travel. The meat is expensive to ship, but it can be donated and left behind and the antlers can be flown with you for about $75 per rack.

I planned this hunt a few years ago but opted for a bear and moose float hunt instead.
DS

New rules this year, Head gear of critters cannot fly as baggage on 99% of the airlines anymore. Gotta mail them now. Alaska airlines is real anal this year. just a heads up.

Affirmative lilbiggun...I just got off the phone with my brother, and he confirmed the new changes. I got some great info on the carribou hunt.

We could do the Haul Road hunt for less than $1000 a man, this includes airfare and everything except the $325 tag and $85 hunting license which together would run less than $1400 total..airfare, tags, rental truck with camper that sleeps 3-4 people..the whole works. That is based on flying for $600 or less which can be easily done into Anchorage, and the rental in October is only $60 a day, and that includes a camper! and that cost would be split 3 or 4 ways, so flight and ground transport is less than $700, then food and supplies still leaves you under$1000 plus your license and tags.....then an 8+ hour drive in the rental truck, which is cheaper than flying on up to Fairbanks. The group would have ground transportaion and a camper to sleep in, a two carribou limit, with bows legal 400 yards from the road and rifles legal 5 miles out......an October timeframe would be better than August or September because there is no snow early which means backpacks.....but in October there is snow which allows for easy sledding of the kill back to the haul road over mostly flat terrain. They have taken record book carribou on this hunt and have never not tagged out because it is right on the migration route. The Bou have lost their velvet for the October hunt, but would still have it for an earlier hunt.

I think I will skip the bear hunt next year and do this hunt as a "test drive" for you guys. Sounds like a blast.....
DS

Update.......just got done booking my roundtrip airfare from Colorado to Alaska a few minutes ago....$354.......so that means you could do it tags and all for the Bou hunt for right at $1000...sounding better all the time ;)
DS

I am getting some e-mail questions on the tag verses license thing and also on the bow verses gun shooting areas.....

IN Alaska, you first have to buy an $85 hunting license, then can purchase the tags you wish to buy. The Carribou is $325 I beleive and the black bear are $225.

The Haul Road is an old mining road, hence the name...."the haul Road"....it extends to the far north. The area is tundra type terrain, mostly flat with what the locals call "nigger-heads" and plenty of bogs......
There is no hunting within 400 yards of the road as of this year....but beyond 400 you can bowhunt, and the animals are literally right on the road at this time of season. Rifle hunting is legal from miles out and beyond. This 5 mile peramiter is known as the "5-mile corridor" by the locals are simply the corridor. If you choose a rifle hunt and go beyond the corridor......you want snow so sledding the carribou is relatively easy on the mostly flat ridges. They have killed the bou in the corridor in the earlier season but said they thought twice before harvest the second animal and opted out ;) It is not uncommon to see record class carribou even close to the road.
It is one of those hunts that can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Rifle hunting will demand a minimum of 5 miles hiking both ways not counting the distance you travel once your in the corridor......so some of you may wanna start practicing with the bow ;) ..and yes, you do have to have a bow safety course to bow hunt up there.

Some essentials up there is a good sturdy backpack and frame, I have the Alaskan II which works great. Wet weather clothing is a must, as it may rain any and everyday, a rangefinder is real handy on the open tundra and animals you aren't used to judging, and a GPS will also be worth it's weight in gold.

DS

Sure Cali......you know your welcome! Indy is definitely going with me, and I also invited Dan and Buzz. The truck/camper deal makes it so all we need is our personal gear,.....the camper is the base camp! The truck camper rental is $60 in October, $70 in September and $120 in August.......
If we keep it to 4 people or so we can go with one camper.....otherwise a second camper would be needed.

With my airfare last night costing me $354, the camper for a week split 4 ways running about $100.....the license at $85..one tag at $325...option on a second at $325....and figure food and supplies at say $150 per man for the week......throw in another $100 for the "hidden cost", higher gas prices, higher food cost, etc...and we should be at around $1100 for one carribou..or around $1400 for two....AND NO EXTRA FEES FOR TAKING THE SECOND ANIMAL LIKE WITH THE OTHER HUNTS!!!

So if a guy socked away $1200 for a one carribou hunt or $1500 for a two carribou hunt there should be no surprises, and that is ALL INCLUSIVE!
DS

DS>..... Uhhhhh I'm not sure we could have that Hunt Happen without Moosie..... :D

MAYBE ? DS, INDY, BUZZ, CALI and MOOSIE..... HUMMM DS said ONLY 4 can go... SORRY DS, after you plan it, YOU"LL have to stay home
HAHA !!

The only hidden cost I can think of is flying any meat or antlers/cape home...but my brother says the price is not bad for that.....I'll inquire on just exactly what "not bad" is ;)

I do know it is legal to donate any meat you don't wanna pay to fly to the locals who gladly take it.

Another interesting thing about Alaska.....you can put a higher priced tag on a lessor animal......but not vice versa. So if you bought two Carribou tags, but saw a nice Black bear you wanted, you could tag the $225 Blackie with the $325 carribou tag.......that is if they have not changed that rule.
DS

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back