lilbiggun,

You talking about one of these Convairs?...

cv_cfiwn.jpg

Nice planes. Used to ride them from Anchortown to Kodiak.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-26-2002 04:18: Message edited by: BW ]</font>

Thats it, thanks Brian. I believe they are convair (so thats how you spell it) 580's.

Well Oscar this trip sounded good till I tallied everything up......here you go

reduced 6 day hunt 1200.00
caribou tag 325.00
license 85.00
bush plane 500.00
connecting plane 270.00
flight cost for meat,antlers,etc. 75.00
price per pound Alaska cargo .32=64.00
this total is 2564.00 just in Alaska. :eek:

now add my 3 hour drive to Atlanta airport then flight to Anchorage 2653.00

for a grand total of 5217.00 :eek: :eek:
and this doesn't include the ride back home for meat,cape or antlers.

I'm guessin here but don't think wifey will go for it :(

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-04-2002 21:03: Message edited by: FLIPPER ]</font>

Oh yes I forgot to add, if you think the airfare is a little high, it is a First Class unrestricted flight.

Wasn't real interested in the coach flights being as it is a 4250 mile flight. :eek:

Whats the difference between restricted & un-restricted ?

I checked it out & restricted was less than 1/2 the cost.

For you guys in, around or close enough to Boise, Alaska Airlines services Boise. You can get to Anchorage fairly cheap if you watch the on-line specials and book early.

You can also get dropped off via bush plane from Anchorage into the middle of the Mulchatna herd. It might be more economical to fly to Lake Clark or Illiamna first BUT Anchorage to the bush is an option.

Good luck and double shovels to all

Erik, I'm in ZBoise.. GO figure

WELCOME aboard 'Mate, WHAT do you know about 'Bou huntng to help some Brothers out in the lower 48 ?!?!?!

They're true herd animals...incredibly dumb yet amazingly cagey. Riflemen should have no trouble filling their tags with quality bulls IF the animals are there. If you hire an air taxi they will try to drop you a day or so in front of the herd along their general migration path. An outfitted drop off camp is nice but crunch the numbers and shop around. You may find a better deal by bringing your own gear but go quality and go light. Weight equals money out of your pocket.

Shots will likely be long, 200-300 yards or more so most of you western guys are used to those ranges. Any deer caliber will work fine. For the pointy stick shooters, I believe they can be decoyed like Antelope and will experiment with a deke of my own design this fall. I have belly crawled over more miles of tundra then I care to remember and I never could get closer than 60 or so yards which is too far for me to shoot.

Be super carefull gutting them. DO NOT SLIP WHILE GUTTING A CARIBOU!! They have the foulest gut contents of any deer anywhere. One wrong nick with a knife and you just ruined a whole bunch of meat.

Bring good gear and synthetic fill sleeping bags, be pepared to be wet the whole time and enjoy! Black Bear and Wolf tags are worth the extra bucks as you're likely to see both.

Erik, sounds like the Decoys are a good plan, If I go to AK, I want to bring the bow.. with the 300 win mag as a backup :D :D THE bow goes out to 50 yards... the 300 mag out to 400+... HUMmmm WHAT to use.. What to use ..;)

KEEP u sposted and I want to see pics of the Decoy if ya can. Or is this a secret "PATENED" one ;)

Nothing cosmic, just a life size immature bull made out of reinforced paneling or 1/4 inch plywood. Its just an idea at the moment. I'll start tinkering in late July or so (while my arms are healing up from summer's fishing). I know I'll have to put in a couple of piano hinges so it can be folded up and carried.

I'll keep the board posted and put up some pics when its finished.

OK, I don't know what the deal is but Lately I've got the AK bug !!!!! I'm going in 2004 (Or sooner ;)) just need to get some stuff in order.

I'll throw this question out.... WHO would be interested, MORE then 75% likely to go, AND what and when would you like to go and for what...... I'm looknig to get this planning/organising crap done so I want to tkae the majority of the input and go from there !!!!!

(PS, Don't forget about the 2003 BEAR hunt in the bear hunting section, and then this hunt.......) !!

My taxidermist here in AZ was raised in AK.. he goes every year. his brother and dad are guides along with pretty much everyone else in there family... Next time I see him I will ask him about it.. I know 3 years ago they where charging 1200 for a drop camp(taken in by truck and boat) and 300-500 extra for a fly in drop camp(round trip I believe)... They always come back with bear and caribou....

Delw

This sounds like a good time to me, I will be in as long as it doesn't interfere with my moose hunters in the fall. I have a suggestion that we can look into. Two falls ago some friends of mine flew into Fairbanks, rented a U-Haul truck and a pickup truck. They headed north and I am drawing a blank on the hiway they went up. But anyway, they each bought two caribou tags and 3 of the 4 took two bulls and one shot only 1. It is bowhunting only for 5 miles on both sides of the road and they had a blast. They used the U-haul as a poormans motorhome and the truck to run up and down the road. They would spot bou from the road and either watch them bed down or cut them off and plan their stalk. They had a blast. Not sure if this hunt is still a do, I will check into it if this interests anyone. They said with rental, tag, airlines, food, etc they were into the hunt for less than $1500 per person. Happy hunting, Casey

Now we're talking! We could call it the "HuntTalk Trailer Trash Caribou Hunt!" :D (Just kidding, Casey.) Actually, it sounds like a good idea when you're on a budget.

Casey, your friends went up the haul road. If anybody is gonna do that hunt, better look into the regulations real carefully starting this year. I guess the locals were complainging about people road hunting and now there is some new laws. Its BS, the locals are trying to stop city folks from hunting the road.

lilbiggun, prepare to be pissed off even more...

Yes there are new restrictions. You know have to be 1/4 mile from the road north of Atigun pass for any hunting. And yes there have been dummies road hunting with bows(kind of pointless) but it wasn't locals complaining it was tour operators namely Holland-America Cruise Lines. One of they're travel packages includes a flight to Dead Horse and an "out n' back" tour bus trip to pump station #4. It seems the blue-hairs from Florida don't want their Disney-esque expectations of the arctic disrupted by the sight of non-aboriginal humans actively pursuing and/or aquiring animal protein.

and they're lobbying to get the road paved to ease wear and tear on the busses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back