1st time Elk hunting....Help

Mikeflies

I am going on my first Elk hunt in 13 days, Oct 17-20, in Wyoming. I am going to be staying in my truck and tent and be hunting with a friend on 19-20 but on my own the first two days. I have the topo maps for the area I will be hunting, as well as the the maps I got from the friend I for the area and do well with a compass. No GPS, but hope to get one before I leave. I shoot a 338 Marlin Express and have been practing at upto 400yds and feel comfortable to that yardage, but I have only taken 1 deer beyond 150yds and that makes me nervous. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Take care & God Bless.

Get that gps before you go!!I would have spent a few nights in the mountains if I didn't have mine along.Be safe and invest the few bucks for a good one.

2nd on the GPS. Also dont worry about shooting at farther distances as an elk is 4 times the size of a deer as with their vitals. Problem is if you get an elk down before your buddy gets there you will be having to pack that sucker out by yourself. You might want to look into someone with some horses out there to pack it out for you. Get that elk skinned and hung as fast as possible to avoid the meat spoiling. Also look on you tube for some videos on the best way to skin an elk. Most of the time I skin and quarter it without even gutting it which I would highly recommend. Also go talk to the taxidemist who you would plan on using to see what they recommend on salting the cape and turning the ears and such. Most of the local butcher shops with flesh out your cape for you and hard freeze it for a small fee. It is worth it as they generally have alot more practice at caping one. Good luck!

Think about a Garmin Rino and SPOT 2

Garmin Rino series hands down. The 530 HCX is the cadillac of GPS units and has never let me down. It's saved my life more the once for sure. You don't need anything that pricey though. The Rino series period is a great start. Delorme is producing some incredible units as well now. You also should think about a Spot 2 GPS messenger. They are $150.00, but you're friends and family (whoever you choose the send the messages to) will know exactly where you are and you can use the emergency button if anything happens to you. It could save your butt and your family will feel much better knowing you're safe.

I heard if ya get lost in a Whiteout without a GPS you could end up getting a Helicopter ride off the Mountain........at least that's what I heard. John:rolleyes:

How did people manage before GPS? I just got one last year, still don't know how to use all the bells and whistles.

Have fun and let your predator instincts kick in. Don't overthink it and keep a postive mental attitude. To many guys psych themselve out of killing an elk by letting the negatives (there will be some) mess with their minds.

Keep in mind you never know what is around the next corner or in the next hollow. A cruddy week or season can turn into the best day of your hunting career in second. I can attest to that after last Friday.

Mike,
Grab a pair of shooting sticks as well, sometimes there is no rifle rest in open country.
It's a vital pc of equipment for me.
WD

Gps...... Rangefinder...... Satellite Phone ...... Spot Messenger.....

Anybody ever think we are a bit to reliant on technology?

If you are comfortable with a map and a compass, why burden yourself with a bunch of other stuff?

Go have fun, if the elk is close, shoot it, if it is too far away, sneak closer. You really don't need a rangefinder.

As long as you have good boots, a pack to carry meat, a good set of binoculars, you are ready to go. Beyond that, the basics like knives, matches/lighter, etc are the same stuff you have carried for years deer hunting.

We used to have a great Survival Forum here, lots of good advice. I think a guy by the name of GreenHorn was the moderator.

I personally don't need the other items listed, but I'm not going into the mountains out west without a gps.I don't want any hunting trip turning into survival mode at dark.The other items would be nice I guess,but a little more then I want to pack around.Plus, if my wife knew I had a sat. phone, I'd have to call every day.When your married with kids, a phone call can ruin a trip real fast.I'd rather hear any bad news when my fun is over and I'm ready to head home

And wind Smoke. It's powder in a bottle so you know what direction the wind is blowing........

I agree with Jose Cuervo for sure. Just the basics and you will have a good hunt. Enjoy your time in WY. I always do

Last edited:
In my back pack, I have two small knives, sharpener, 25' of rope, flashlight, shells, compass, maps, small hand towels, snacks, water, game bags, binoculars, small 1st aid kit, extra pair of socks, gloves, GPS (buying one), & rangefinder. Too much? Missing something. All info helpful, hunting in 10 days.....Oh Yeah.

never owned a GPS..would be handy i guess, but nothing you cant do without, imo.

Being able to shoot far out there is a plus, but I've always said that if a guy is proficient to 300 yards, there aint many situations you wont be able to punch your tag on, if you try.

Just a thought, take your bino's out of your pack, put them around your neck, and use them! Thats the #1 thing I see that guys unfamiliar with western hunting seem to do, glass, glass and glass some more. good luck.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about carrying a sharpener especially if you plan on carrying two knives. Don't forget a bone saw. I always carry a lighter in case something weird happens and I have to spend the night in the woods. Don't forget the toilet paper.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back