190"+ Buck...

Breaks Runner

Spent another great weekend out in pursuit. Greenhorn was my tag along and we had a blast and a very cool mixed bag mini adventure. Nothing died, but hey, we were bowhunting and being choosey....its all good!

Friday afternoon during a rain squall I found this buck and was able to approach within 90 yards of him undetected. There's somthing to be said for hunting and stalking game in a brisk wind. The footage turned out pretty good for a little compact digital camera and after downloading my video clips and looking them over closely I realized how good this buck was. At first I thought low 180's, but I'm convinced he will do a little better than 190". I have the beams at 27" with an inside of 25" or maybe as high as 27". Eyeguards are 3" or better. For mass I gave him 5", 4", 4", 4". One weak front fork, but hell, we only really care about gross score anyway dont we? I've noticed exceptional main beam length on mature bucks this fall. It has be due to the above average rainfall we had this spring and summer. Anyway 90 yards was as close as I was going to get to him without pushing a bad move, so I backed out and left him undisturbed. I'd seen a larger buck last week and was still intent on finding him again, so I had some more looking around to do.

(mouse click the buck to activate the vid)

Kurt got in at midnight friday and on 3 1/2 hours sleep we headed out to make a run at the elk......And I have some great footage of that!! I'll be posting that up tomorrow. For now I better get some sleep...

Last edited:
Hey, there isnt any bucks like that in Montana!! Ha Ha

I would love to see that one on the ground with close up pictures.

9-11-10bucksbulls040.jpg

Excuse the low quality pic as this buck was quite aways out there. There were two others with him and they bedded down in a spot that was impossible to approach.

After Pat dropped me off in town at 4PM I decided to go check on my lope, not thinking there'd be an opportunity.. gotta like it when it works out that way. Second B&C antelope the came in, in less than 8 hours. Unlike the first one, which required two decoys (simulated buck mounting doe) to come in slowly... mine came in hard and fast, with no decoy, just the sun in his eyes and wanting to run off whatever his doe was looking at. I was the decoy - no hat required. He galloped into to about 25 yards and I suspect would have come closer had I not drawn my bow. I've had that happen before a couple times with young bucks during the rut, but never did I expect this one to charge in.

Here's the first buck that came in close..
2010patsbuck.jpg

Here's the 2nd..
2010lope1.jpg

2010lope4.jpg

2010lope2.jpg

WOW! Awesome bucks. Congrats on a TOAD GH.

I'll take a stab at scoring him.

- 7 1/8
- 7 1/8
- 3 3/8
Prong - 6 7/8
Length - 16 4/8

82 Total

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members