12 Colorado deer points

Do you have ANY hunting experience? I hear the units that are on the east side of 25 are at a lower elevation and are less strenuous if you aren't able to handle the mountains. Most of them come with a guide in case you need that as well.

Thanks everybody for all the detailed advice. Gonna take me a while to go through it all and figure out what’s the best option. Can you all get a little more detailed in your suggestions? I’d prefer to know where to park, where to camp, and where the best glassing places are. Also - what nearby towns have the best selections of choice beer.. the little things matter. Thanks again.

Also - as I’ve mentioned in PMs please save your typing on any suggestions that require more than 3 miles (one way) of hiking. I’m in my 50s and I’m not looking to really take on anything very extreme.

How can you expect it to rain honeyholes when you ghosted us on your elk hunt story from last year?

Thanks everybody for all the detailed advice. Gonna take me a while to go through it all and figure out what’s the best option. Can you all get a little more detailed in your suggestions? I’d prefer to know where to park, where to camp, and where the best glassing places are. Also - what nearby towns have the best selections of choice beer.. the little things matter. Thanks again.
The season looks so promising I am having the new Bell ranger flown up from Texas and it can be made available for your hunt, it seats six and the ceiling when pressurized is 25,000 so I can land you anywhere you want in Colorado, kind of Uber hunting. It is already set up for shooting hogs so we can mount your spotting scope on the bracket we use for the AR and glass from 15,000, find a shooter and Billy Bob Big Johnson, our best ex cartel pilot, can drop down and hover until you get a shot. You don't even need one of those range findy thingys as most shots are straight down from less than 500 feet. Even a man bun 6.5 whatever actually increases velocity when gravity pulls bullet straight down with the added backwash from the chopper! We have FLIR to check heat signatures and can easily see through tree cover, but you will need one of those lighted reticle scopes when we find one at dusk. We usually just light them up with 500,000 lumen searchlights to freeze them before your shot. No strenuous exercise involved as my ranch foreman used to be para rescue and we usually rope him down and hook up the carcass to drop at the taxidermist place. Colorado IPA's are consistently better that that Montana swill I have seen you post about. Pick 4th season unit 76, we will scout it for you early rifle elk and send GPS coordinates for promising bucks, UBER hunting at its best. Our motto: if you have the dime, we have the time, the chopper is only $2,450 a flight hour. The B&B we can book you in has a chopper pad on the roof and is near the Pagosa hot springs if you get stiff from sitting in the bird. Hope this is detailed enough, park at airfield, camp at a B&B, since we leave no trace from the air you can hunt any nearby GMU and we will tag it with what you have a license for.

Who cares about your 2020 elk hunt, how did the selfie taking teenager do?

The season looks so promising I am having the new Bell ranger flown up from Texas and it can be made available for your hunt, it seats six and the ceiling when pressurized is 25,000 so I can land you anywhere you want in Colorado, kind of Uber hunting. It is already set up for shooting hogs so we can mount your spotting scope on the bracket we use for the AR and glass from 15,000, find a shooter and Billy Bob Big Johnson, our best ex cartel pilot, can drop down and hover until you get a shot. You don't even need one of those range findy thingys as most shots are straight down from less than 500 feet. Even a man bun 6.5 whatever actually increases velocity when gravity pulls bullet straight down with the added backwash from the chopper! We have FLIR to check heat signatures and can easily see through tree cover, but you will need one of those lighted reticle scopes when we find one at dusk. We usually just light them up with 500,000 lumen searchlights to freeze them before your shot. No strenuous exercise involved as my ranch foreman used to be para rescue and we usually rope him down and hook up the carcass to drop at the taxidermist place. Colorado IPA's are consistently better that that Montana swill I have seen you post about. Pick 4th season unit 76, we will scout it for you early rifle elk and send GPS coordinates for promising bucks, UBER hunting at its best. Our motto: if you have the dime, we have the time, the chopper is only $2,450 a flight hour. The B&B we can book you in has a chopper pad on the roof and is near the Pagosa hot springs if you get stiff from sitting in the bird. Hope this is detailed enough, park at airfield, camp at a B&B, since we leave no trace from the air you can hunt any nearby GMU and we will tag it with what you have a license for.

Priceless lol 😂
Matt

Gotta be some good units for 12. Point creep is real in CO so no use chasing those legendary units.

@Muley_Stalker thanks for the offer to sight my rifle in and to help me tie my laces - much appreciated. So looking forward to Colorado. @Big Slick thanks for all the hot tips on unit 21! Should be a good one. @madtom, my last year's elk hunting sucked a giant moose dong. Both MT and WY. Not to mention, I'm a taker - not a giver when it comes to hot hunting tips.

So another question: Is picking a B grade unit and hunting 3rd season this year, better than picking an A grade unit and hunting 2nd season? 2nd season goes through 11/7 this year. Either way, I believe a lot of points might be left on the table. I'm looking at CO as a one and done thing.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

If you're after a good buck. 3rd season will be closer to the rut and chances are better of finding a horny buck acting stupid.
Thank you for your input and shoe-tie abilities. Is this why 3rd season is so hard to draw- the rut? Wow I guess that makes sense. Thanks. Some prefer a more challenging hunt, such as pole-smoke season, with a musket and coon-skin hat. What about the bow hunt? I promise to leave the antlers in the field, for some time, like while I'm dressing the rest of the animal. The 800 mile drive and $600 on licenses... all, ALL, about the fine venison I'm brining home, and the challenge of course. I hope to draw, the scouting trip will be maybe the most fun part. Just checked I've got 25 days paid already accrued and it's just building..

Thank you for your input and shoe-tie abilities. Is this why 3rd season is so hard to draw- the rut? Wow I guess that makes sense. Thanks. Some prefer a more challenging hunt, such as pole-smoke season, with a musket and coon-skin hat. What about the bow hunt? I promise to leave the antlers in the field, for some time, like while I'm dressing the rest of the animal. The 800 mile drive and $600 on licenses... all, ALL, about the fine venison I'm brining home, and the challenge of course. I hope to draw, the scouting trip will be maybe the most fun part. Just checked I've got 25 days paid already accrued and it's just building..
I’ll tell you what, I’ve got a great little spot, produces every year, I’ll rope and hobble one for you near the road the night before the season. You can drop it and then hook up your winch line and drag it right to the truck!

Back