10'x10' Alaknak Tent

----

I'm thinking about picking one of these up, but am curious how usable this size is. It's got four foot walls. Most the time I'd be by myself so the small size (and low price) is appealing.

How many guys could you reasonably sleep in one of these? I'm having a hard time imagining more than two guys staying comfortably in one. Can't imagine it'd take much of a heater or stove to keep one of these warm. Being smaller would it be a lot easier to set up by myself?

Anybody used one or something similar size? Or just pro/cons of the Alaknak tents in general?

Thanks.

I use a 10x10 Outback Lodge with 2' walls. I've always used it alone but with a cot, small table for cooking, propane tank and heater and a couple totes it fills up. 4" walls would be nice to have. I couldn't see having more than 2 in it and having room to get around and it would be tight at that. That size is easy to heat, the Mr. Heater buddy heater takes the chill off quickly. It is an easy size to set up alone.

The tent I made is an approx 10x - sleeps 2 comfortable. w/ cots and small stove, if that helps. We stuffed 3 in there once... 3rd w/o cot.

If your interested in something small yet "versatile" in that price range...backpack and car camp...?

Golite Shangri La 5. ? This is not only a very easy setup for 1... though a pack able deal. Install a stove jack and your set. On sale for $299 50% off.

http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-5-Tent-P46714.aspx

GetImage.ashx

Shangri-La 5 Tent
$299.99 Compare At:$600.00
Save:50%

Ultra-light and simple to pitch, our Shangri-La 5 is a model of backcountry versatility. Light enough for backpacking & big enough for car camping. Sturdy center pole and pyramid shape shed weather brilliantly. Use fly or nest alone or use together tent-style. View the setup video.

Trail Weight: 5 lbs 10 oz. | 2.54 kg

Packaged Weight: 5 lbs 12 oz. | 2.6 kg

Last edited:
I have one of the older 9-1/2 square alaknaks, with the 2-1/2 ft walls. I picked it for the same reason - I wanted something I could put up by myself. With the woodstove in there, 2 people is the max. WIthout the stove you could probably get another person in there. My advice would be to get the next size up - the 12 footer looks like it would have a lot more flexibility for not a lot more aggravation. Does the 10 footer have the stove jack?

Yeah I'd definitely prefer the 12x12, but not at over double the price.

No stove jack Corax, would a lantern and buddy heater would be enough for that size?

I like the looks of the sangri la sytes, but I think something with walls would work a lot better for what I want, give me more usable space.

Last edited:
When it is cold or wet, the stove jack is really nice to have.

I think the 4 people that the tent fits in the catalog are the same 4 people that one package of freeze-dried food makes a meal for.

I've used the 12x12 (and 12x20). With a stove the 12x12 has plenty of room for three guys. We have a small collapsible stove that heats the tent easily. My main complaint with the tent is that the condensation can get bad if it's cold outside and you get a fire going. I would think hard about getting one of those canvas/synthetic blend tents.

I've used the 12x12 (and 12x20). With a stove the 12x12 has plenty of room for three guys. We have a small collapsible stove that heats the tent easily. My main complaint with the tent is that the condensation can get bad if it's cold outside and you get a fire going. I would think hard about getting one of those canvas/synthetic blend tents.

Our camp mates did this last year. They used the bunk bed cots and cooked in the vestibule. Plenty of room for 4 that way. They had to keep the stove working pretty hard when it got around 5 deg. Plus is that it is fairly light. It will work but I would try for a used canvas.

My buddy has the 12x12 that we use all the time. Great tent, probably going to get one for my growing family for this next season. Great tent, easy set up, and lots of room.

Not sure what the purpose of a tent that big is, without a stove?
This! Alaknaks have a bit of a reputation for condensation issues. Running a Big Buddy in one would only probably only serve to meet that reputation. I'd imagine 3 + stove would be easily doable. Probably be cozy, but should work. Though a bit more, for that size of tent and it's solo use, I'd be looking hard at the tipi style tents. A 6-man sized tent with a nest and/or a liner would be quite slick!

If you are set on using a lantern/big buddy for heat. I'd really look hard at canvas tents for the additional breathability. Something like Kodiak or Springbar, which are basically the same thing, would work well. I used a borrowed up on the Hi-line one year. Worked well and all I heated it with was a lantern.

Last edited:
Been using the 12x20 Alakanak for ~10 years now. It has been a base camp shangrila for our elk camp! Lots of abuse and weather and still awesome, like new. Zippers work great, not a tear and held up to 'thunder snow this elk season.
Throw up 2 sets of bunks, and 1 cot and sleeps 5 easy and comfy.
Sweat like a cat under a rocking chair, but condensation is manageable ( I am anal, it is my camp, so I'm the biatch. I take time to clean the tent up for my crew daily that means boiling water nd bailing out the tent. )
I use a propane tank and heater with CO2 sensor good for indoor use. Thought of wood stove, but wood burners don't solve the sweating issue.

A few years ago I was looking for a new tent and I had a chance to see a 10 X 10 Montana Canvas Tent in the field. I shopped around and found a used one at a very good price. We have used it to sleep 3 on cots, we use a wood stove for heat and have been comfortable down to minus 25. We haven't had any issues with the tent sweating. I'd try to find a used one and save some money.

inside elk camp

not the best shot - but ya get the idea?!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,976
Been using the 12x20 Alakanak for ~10 years now. It has been a base camp shangrila for our elk camp! Lots of abuse and weather and still awesome, like new. Zippers work great, not a tear and held up to 'thunder snow this elk season.
Throw up 2 sets of bunks, and 1 cot and sleeps 5 easy and comfy.
Sweat like a cat under a rocking chair, but condensation is manageable ( I am anal, it is my camp, so I'm the biatch. I take time to clean the tent up for my crew daily that means boiling water nd bailing out the tent. )
I use a propane tank and heater with CO2 sensor good for indoor use. Thought of wood stove, but wood burners don't solve the sweating issue.

From what I've read lately on these, and I've been reading quite a bit on them...the newer ones have more venting on them that helps eliminate or at least really decrease the condensation issue.

What exactly is that type of heater you have in your picture? I've seen those rigs hooked up in a few other tents. Besides wood, pellet stoves are always an option...and you can fill the hopper for the night instead of getting up a few times to stoke the fire.

I use a 12X20 Alaknak and couldn't be happier. I can set it up by myself and it makes a roomy camp. The most we have put in it is three, so we have no condensation issues. The thing I like about it over the wall tent we had previously is the sew in floor. No drafts during a big blow. Wood stove for heat in the tent and a Mr Heater in the vestibule for heat while showering. Here's a picture of the tent in action my my wife's deer hunt in NV and my elk hunt in Az, both in 2013.

Attachments

• 044 small.jpg
    044 small.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,637
  • 004 small.jpg
    004 small.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,590
I have horrible timing. The sale as still on yesterday morning, but had been pulled by the time I tried to order one last night. Back to the drawing board.

Are you talking about one of the flex bow style tents pointer? Was it rigged with a stove?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back