Caribou Gear Tarp

The collapsable tent stoves. Are they any good?

windymtnman

I have a stainless steel Winnerwell wood stove for my wall tent. It is super quality, strong, and only weighs about 35 lbs. It will fit in my pack panniers on a mule.
Since I bought it, I'm now seeing wood stoves advertised that breakdown, and collapse into a really small space. They weigh less than 5 lbs. and obviously are far smaller and compact to pack in. I know they're smaller in size than what I have too.
But, because of the packed size and weight, I'm tempted to buy one.
Yet, I wonder if they hold up very well? The overall quality of them, and I have concerns that the extreme heat generated might even warp the metal out of shape?
Does anyone have one to write a review or their experience with them?

The smaller size and thinner metal will definitely not keep your tent as warm and require more work than the more solid stove you have now. My packable titanium stove warms my “4” person tent but has to be stoked every hour or so. My big steel stove keeps my canvas tent warmer for longer.
As far as the midsize breakdown stoves I think you’re asking about, it’s a trade off on weight vs heat. I’ve looked at some myself and may break down one day and try one.

I have a seek outside XL I used this year to heat a 12 man tipi. Coldest it got was mid 20s. I was the stove tender and I was loading every few hours. It takes maintaining, but if you're in an area that calls for light stuff and understand the limitations, it's great if you ask me. Better that freezing your butt off. I've thought about a bigger stove since I upgraded from an 8 man to a 12 man [a few growing boys + gear take up a lot of space!] But the extra few hundred for the bigger one is hard to choke down.

I have a seek outside Large Titanium stove. It will work to take the chill off the morning and evening - for an hour+ run with 2" diameter rounds packed and stove door partially opened, if you feed it 2" rounds, it will keep a 12x14 canvas warm. It will get the titanium stove pipe pretty hot though it will tolerate it.

I don't believe you're going to beat a KniCo Stove for horse packing, wall tent stoves:

If you're a fabricator, you can give something like this a shot:

Best, whichever direction.

Edited: Phone google tend to change words...

Last edited:
Back