PEAX Equipment

10X or 8X binos, what is your choice?

what power binos and eye piece on spotter

• Total voters

schmalts

Just want to see what most guys use here. 10 or 8 power binos, and angled or straight on a spotting scope

I can tell you that from a sales stand point, here in Montana, it is at least 3 to 1 when it comes to 10x vs 8x. And probably close to that when you compare straight to angled spotters.

Interestingly enough, however, some of the better (hardcore) hunters I know use 8X. And as a general rule of thumb, the higher end a spotter is, the more angled eye pieces you will sell.

That said, I still use what I have always used. 10x binos and a straight eyepiece spotter, though I am considering going to an angled spotter. I have also been playing arround with the Leupold Switch/Power 7.5 /12x32mm binos. The versatility of having both maginfications is pretty handy.

Elkwhisper

I used 9 power leupold binoculars for a lot of years and I still like them.

I also have the 12-40 straight leupold spotter, like that as well, for a couple reasons, one being that its compact and packs easily...and 2 the optics are very good...way better than what you pay for them.

Last year I bought the 10x42 swaro's...and for all purpose binoculars, they have no equal, IMO. They may not be quite "enough" glass when looking at extreme distances for coues deer, although not once did the guys I was hunting with spot deer that I couldnt see with the 10x's (they all had 15x's). Its amazing the difference it makes glassing with your binoculars on a tri-pod and the 10's work awesome for that.

I suppose if you were mostly hunting and glassing close range all the time, like say in Western Montana, the 8x could be better and more practical. But, I think if you only want to buy ONE pair of glasses, to cover a wide range of hunting from AK to AZ, the 10's are going to be tough to top.

It wouldnt suck to have one each of: 8, 10, and 15 power binoculars, as each have specific uses that they are better suited for...but it would suck when you hit the cash register.

Same with having two spotters...one for back-packing and one for the truck and/or short hikes.

Last edited:
I voted 10x and straight spotter. Both what I use.

Don't really plan on ever switching to an angled spotter, but would like to try a pair of 8x glasses.

10x and 12-40 straight Leupy spotter. I'm with Buzz, I love that spotter for packing. I see the price on them just went up over $1000.

Last year I bought the 10x42 swaro's...and for all purpose binoculars, they have no equal, IMO. They may not be quite "enough" glass when looking at extreme distances for coues deer, although not once did the guys I was hunting with spot deer that I couldnt see with the 10x's (they all had 15x's). Its amazing the difference it makes glassing with your binoculars on a tri-pod and the 10's work awesome for that.

Those 15X on a tripod are really nice for long distance glassing. Just not very light and pack freindly. I kind of wish I kept my old Doctor 15X:(
It is funny how the guys in AZ are for the most part the only ones that do the 15X and tripod gig

If I lived in AZ and hunted coues deer more...I'd have a pair of 15's. I think you could get by with the 10 powers, but the 15's are nice when glassing in the shade of juniper trees, etc.

The guys I hunted with in AZ didnt use a spotter at all...I had the only spotter.

If I lived in AZ and hunted coues deer more...I'd have a pair of 15's. I think you could get by with the 10 powers, but the 15's are nice when glassing in the shade of juniper trees, etc.

The guys I hunted with in AZ didnt use a spotter at all...I had the only spotter.

The field of view is so much nicer on those binos compared to a spotter, and even better yet is less eye strain from having both eyes in use

Schmalts,

I still think you need a spotter...even with 15's. Not enough glass to accurately judge coues deer and antelope, IMO.

Also, I think theres less eye strain with 10's than 15's. I used a pair of 15's for about 4 days on my coues hunt. Also, the bigger field of view with 10's allows you to pick up movement better.

Schmalts,

I still think you need a spotter...even with 15's. Not enough glass to accurately judge coues deer and antelope, IMO.

Also, I think theres less eye strain with 10's than 15's. I used a pair of 15's for about 4 days on my coues hunt. Also, the bigger field of view with 10's allows you to pick up movement better.

Sure, you need a spotter, but I usually went to it after you locate your prey. Not sure why you think there is less eye strain on 10 vs 15, splain....:confused: Power of zoom for me really is dependent on how far I am looking for game.

Schmalts,

Not sure why I get more eye strain looking through 15's...but I do.

You bring up another good point...you tend to not glass closer country with 15's. I glassed up a lot of deer up close that the guys I was with were "over" looking with their 15's.

It sucks glassing inside 500 yards with 15's, it really does. But, from 1/4 mile to maybe 1.5 miles...cats ass.

Last edited:
I've never tried 8x binos as I've always been happy with 10s. Could be missing something though.

Just got rid of the angled spotter I had for years and got a straight one. Sure I could use a shorter tripod with the angled but it was a pain in the butt with a window mount and on a few occasions a pain to spot the game I had already located.

I'm with everyone on this one. 10x with a straight spotter. It will take a hard sale for me to change. Unless like some have said I own 8x, 10x and 15x. I have no use for an angled spotter.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back