$10 Bighorn Sheep Apps

William Christy

Thanks Montana. Not only can I afford to apply, and apply my son, I can now have Mom, Grandma, my nextdoor neighbor, girlfriend, girlfriend's sister, and eleven of my son's pals apply for a 680 sheep permit this year. Awesome.

Gotta love a legislature that thinks they know how to manage wildlife - NOT!

The sooner they can pack their bags and get out of Helena, the better off we and our hunting opportunities will be.

gotta love it...maybe it will add to the funds that legislature has blocked FWP from using. I was fine with paying the $75 app fee it sure did help detour a lot of people from applying. For $10, just about anyone I know will apply even if the odds are 0.0001%

I need to contact the Montana Legislature regarding the over-priced, non-refundable moose, sheep, and goat, NR application fee for non residents of Montana.

I bet the tea party can help free me from this oppressive over-reach of those that control public wildlife and public lands.

It sounds like you Montana boys need to lobby for a preference point system! I would love to be able to calculate what year I'll draw my sheep tag!

The odds for every sheep, goat, moose, bison hunt are going to go right down the toilet this year, regardless of your "max point" status. If a MT resident can't afford the full $125 fee for sheep, they have no business applying in the first place, as that's more than the gas from your home to the trailhead would likely be.

Now, everybody with a credit card and an internet connection will be submitting $10 apps, for their entire extended family, regardless of how little some of these folks would want a permit.

Hopefully the non-refundable app fee will go toward something important, like "access" - since apparently "the lack of access" is why people don't bother hunting. Or maybe it can go to manage some new "late hunt" program on private property, after the season, since we're so over objective on elk in so many places.

Who dreamed this one up?

The odds for every sheep, goat, moose, bison hunt are going to go right down the toilet this year, regardless of your "max point" status. If a MT resident can't afford the full $125 fee for sheep, they have no business applying in the first place, as that's more than the gas from your home to the trailhead would likely be.

Now, everybody with a credit card and an internet connection will be submitting $10 apps, for their entire extended family, regardless of how little some of these folks would want a permit.

Hopefully the non-refundable app fee will go toward something important, like "access" - since apparently "the lack of access" is why people don't bother hunting. Or maybe it can go to manage some new "late hunt" program on private property, after the season, since we're so over objective on elk in so many places.

Who dreamed this one up?

I bet it was the tea party folk...they don't like the fwp 'gubmint making money off their application fees and certainly don't like the G holding their constituents beer and cigarette money for a couple months.

Wouldn't be surprised if MTSFW was also in favor of it. I know at the Missoula meeting on the fee increases I attended last summer, the SFW rep didn't support the nominal fee increases being proposed.

Buzz, I agree point systems are garbage ideas, as I've seen what happens in every state.

But... FWP will be sucking in more money with the $10 app fee, no doubt. as opposed to the 2 month interest on $125.

Should have to pay $500 for a MT big 3, all the cash up front before drawing. If you don't think it's worth it, go shoot a cow elk on a private ranch near Glasgow in December.

Didn't this change take place last year? If so, why would the number of apps go up this year exponentially over last seasons? Just a silly question since I am not on the up and up or smart enough to realize the real reason MTFWP makes any of these changes aside from what I assume are "Lack of Funds". Not wanting to get burned at the stake is all. (At least I started applying before it was 'Affordable", haha)

might as well make it $10 per chance and unlimited chances

Didn't this change take place last year? If so, why would the number of apps go up this year exponentially over last seasons? Just a silly question since I am not on the up and up or smart enough to realize the real reason MTFWP makes any of these changes aside from what I assume are "Lack of Funds". Not wanting to get burned at the stake is all. (At least I started applying before it was 'Affordable", haha)

I just checked my receipt email from last year and it was $10 ($50 for nonresidents)...I kept thinking it was $75 (plus $50 if drawn). So realistically the bump won't be as big as we exaggerate probably stay the same. It looks like that bump from 2013 to 2014 was about 1000 first choice applicants for that particular units

300stw...I think you could do that with the Super Tag. I know I try to buy a couple as the odds are probably as good.

The $10 fee for M/S/G started last year???

The fee reduction to apply definitely had more people applying and more money in FWP budgets, which was just what they wanted.

Example:

Where I applied/apply: 2014 reg book said 653 applied in 2013, 2015 reg book says 1160 people applied in 2014. This is 507 increase, but the % increase is substantial.

In 680, which sees the highest amount of apps each year.....2014 reg book says 7400 people applied in 2013, 2015 reg book says 8322 people applied in 2014. This is a 922 increase.

FWP gets more money in their pockets keeping all app fees in their pocket ($10) vs only a small portion of the fee when it was$75 +3 fee they kept. Exactly what they wanted.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back