$10 Bighorn Sheep Apps

The odds for every sheep, goat, moose, bison hunt are going to go right down the toilet this year, regardless of your "max point" status.

Who dreamed this one up?

Look AT THE BRIGHT SIDE, you get to buy me beer for losing that bet.

Online apps are ok, but $10 only per species? Oh, let's not forget the $2 bonus point (let's suck them in forever) fee.

I applied for TWO bighorn sheep permits, TWO moose permits, TWO bison permits, and a mountain goat permit last night, costing me a grand total of $84.59.

Does that sound right?

I spent more on the beer I packed into my April black bear camp.

Last edited:
Didn't this change take place last year? If so, why would the number of apps go up this year exponentially over last seasons? Just a silly question since I am not on the up and up or smart enough to realize the real reason MTFWP makes any of these changes aside from what I assume are "Lack of Funds". Not wanting to get burned at the stake is all. (At least I started applying before it was 'Affordable", haha)

It did start last year, not sure why apps would go up substantially this year, or why Greenhorn is just now figuring this out.

I don't remember it being $10 each last year. I thought it was $75 each.

Actually the apprentice law will not allow those without hunters safety to apply for any limited tags except turkey. I think that's from the last amendment to the bill.

Not sure why everyone is just now getting upset about the $10 app fee. It was this way last year too.

Actually the apprentice law will not allow those without hunters safety to apply for any limited tags except turkey. I think that's from the last amendment to the bill.

Yep. But most people don't read that far.

Last year this system was put into place. Until I got my app's I hadn't heard anything about it. The MT FW&P figured out how to increase revenue's and hose every dedicated hunter that has been applying year after year trying to get enough bogus bonus points so they can enhance their chance at a tag. Not only did they increase their fee from $3.00 to $10.00 they created a situation to flood their bank account with many more applicants. This new system they send no refunds so less overhead just a greedy director counting the increased cash flow. Now don't think I'm upset at this greedy asinine ploy to hose the dedicated hunter for a higher profit. Nope their not pissing me off nope not a bit, won't let them sons of _ _ _ _ _ _ _s piss me off ;)
There now I feel better,
Dan O

Well, we cant "exclude" anyone based on price.

We have to allow those that are on SS, disability, etc. the "right" to apply for a sheep tag.

We have to allow disabled folks to shoot crossbows during archery season.

The list goes on and on and on and on.

IMO, you either front the money for the tags or you sit on the sidelines.

You either shoot a legal bow or you hunt during rifle season.

This BS of having to accommodate the lowest common denominator in everything, hunting included, is getting out of hand.

We have to allow those that are on SS, disability, etc. the "right" to apply for a sheep tag.

This BS of having to accommodate the lowest common denominator in everything, hunting included, is getting out of hand.
Well there goes your participation trophy for posting on this thread. Can I have it? :D

It did start last year, not sure why apps would go up substantially this year, or why Greenhorn is just now figuring this out.

Well either way. I never looked at whether or not the number of applicants changed from year to year (I imagine it would have some impact with the "I can afford it now, but what about if I actually draw" crowd). I am pretty sure there is a link you can download a document with past info regarding that. Not sure how accurate it is though... I have seen plenty of wrong info in the reg's from time to time and wonder about other things the agency puts out sometimes.

I'd love to watch you argue that with a room full of disabled veterans sometime.

Well either way. I never looked at whether or not the number of applicants changed from year to year (I imagine it would have some impact with the "I can afford it now, but what about if I actually draw" crowd). I am pretty sure there is a link you can download a document with past info regarding that. Not sure how accurate it is though... I have seen plenty of wrong info in the reg's from time to time and wonder about other things the agency puts out sometimes.

Here's the link for sheep.
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/drawingStatistics/sheep.html

They have detailed drawing statistics for everything on FWP's website.

It was only $10 last year as well.

Here's the link for sheep.
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/drawingStatistics/sheep.html

They have detailed drawing statistics for everything on FWP's website.

It was only $10 last year as well.

2012: Full tag fee to apply
16,650 R got 230 draw tags + 78 unlimited.
6,929 NR got 19 draw tags + 14 unlimited.

2013: Full tag fee to apply
16,893 R got 230 draw tags + 136 unlimited.
7,101 NR got 21 draw tags + 45 unlimited.

2014: Do not submit full tag fee to apply
20,161 R got 256 draw tags + 165 unlimited.
7,500 NR got 23 draw tags + 45 unlimited.

So, in first year of sheep applications where did not front the full tag, R saw 20% increase in applications and NR saw 6%.

Assuming most of the growth was from applicants with no prior accumulation of sheep points then one prior applicant with 10 points offsets 100 1st year applicants, correct?

Even if ignore bonus points for a moment, change in R odds changed from 1.37% odds in 2013 to 1.27% odds in 2014. NR changed from 0.30% odds to 0.31% odds.

You can't ignore bonus points, though, so the change is less than if do ignore bonus points.

Odds did not change much for someone with several prior bonus points going into the 2014 draw.

2014: Do not submit full tag fee to apply
20,161 R got 256 draw tags + 165 unlimited.
7,500 NR got 23 draw tags + 45 unlimited.

Where did you find those numbers? I was looking at the draw stats/point breakdown spreadsheet and got the following... I didn't look at the previous years, just wondering if they have numbers in two different places that don't jive? The total applicants and tags issued are the same though. Maybe one UL unit is included in the draw total? I checked these numbers twice.

7500 NR applicants
7 ewe tags issued
7 ram tags issued
54 UL tags.

20161 Resident applicants
123 ewe tags issued
119 ram tags issued
179 UL tags issued

Where did you find those numbers? I was looking at the draw stats/point breakdown spreadsheet and got the following... I didn't look at the previous years, just wondering if they have numbers in two different places that don't jive? The total applicants and tags issued are the same though. Maybe one UL unit is included in the draw total? I checked these numbers twice.

7500 NR applicants
7 ewe tags issued
7 ram tags issued
54 UL tags.

20161 Resident applicants
123 ewe tags issued
119 ram tags issued
179 UL tags issued

I followed the link in the post posted before mine and clicked on the Sheep Draw stats for 2014, 2013 and 2012. To get Unlimiteds was total tags less quota for draw tags. I did not break out ewe tags or archery.

680 did not change much in draw odds from 2013 to 2014...less so than overall draw change in odds.

Last edited:
I followed the link in the email posted before mine and clicked on the Sheep Draw stats for 2014, 2013 and 2012. To get Unlimiteds was total tags less quota for draw tags. I did not break out ewe tags or archery.

Got it...

I wasn't aware of any archery tags?I think they just added a couple weeks onto the season for archery only.

I was using the total drawn, not quota. MT uses an "up to" quota for NR, I think the quota just refers to the tags which "could" be drawn by NRs. So in 2014 there was 23 tags which could have been drawn, but only 14 were actually drawn. I was curious to see what the split looked like for the previous years. Fewer tags and more applicants. Long odds... and getting longer.

Total NR apps - 7500
NR Draw Quota - 23
Total Quota 256 (includes NR)
NR - Actual draw - 54 UL, 14 draw tags of which 7 were ram, 7 ewe
% of quota drawn - 61%
% of draw tags issued to NR - 5.5%

Total NR apps - 7101
NR Draw Quota - 21
Total Quota 230 (includes NR)
NR - Actual draw - 53 UL, 13 draw tags of which 7 were ram, 6 ewe
% of quota drawn - 62%
% of draw tags issued to NR - 5.6%