Zinke votes against public land sales

The nice thing about an open primary in Montana, I can help Zinke by simply picking up a Republican ballot and vote for him. The Montana GOP may actually increase Zinke's numbers by trying to primary him.

Damn howdy! Good news for a change. I'll keep him in mind come that day of political atonement.

Interesting. The Dumbos will lose my long term voting support if they continue pushing this agenda. Never thought that day would come... Chatted with my buddy who also has a diehard record that holds a proud priority for our lands... He too never thought that day would come. Sad. Really sad as I do not believe in many aspects of the jackass party. Though this one issue holds irreversible damage to our future. Once done, it is done! /rant off until the next frustrating reminder of where my vote may go. May he rub off on the Dumbos leading this destructive path.
edit added: Sent a message of thanks for his honorable representation of his constituents.

Last edited:
Senator Fielder's "very good bills" were either unconstitutional or would have made consolidation of checkerboard lands impossible. She also had a bill that would have usurped private property rights and forced land purchases over a certain acreage amount to be approved by the Legislature.

SB 215 was the one that said we could never sell land given to us by the fed. So all that checkerboard in eastern MT? It'll stay checkerboard. It would also violate the Montana constitutional obligation of the state to receive the maximum economic benefit of trust lands.

SB 274 violates the Supremacy clause of the United State Constitiution, and worse yet, repealed a section of statute that allows the state to enter into negotiations with the Federal Government when it comes to land sales & transfers for any reason.

HB 496 was a $35,000 slush fund to institute a "Task Force" to "study" tranfer of public lands. It was tabled in the committee run by Kerry White because the votes didn't exist to move it out of committee with the word transfer in it. After some heavy amending and vote trading, White was able to move it to the floor, where it passed, but just barely, on to the senate where again, it just barely passed because of vote trading on larger, more important bills. The amendments only removed the word "transfer" but the intent was still the same.

It's sad to see a Montana Senator promoting the DC PR firms green decoy's crap, playing "gotcha" politics and advancing a narrative that doesn't comport with the truth. Senator Fielder's blind allegiance to tranfering public land into the state's hands has created a bit of an ethical lapse on her part, even going so far as to have her own Aide register as a paid lobbyist for the American Lands Council. The aide was asked to leave the building, but he still showed up at the hearing for HB 496, organizing support.

So, excuse me if I take Senator Fielder's protestations with a very large grain of salt.

Last edited:
IMO her bills are nothing more than a Trojan horse.

She's pretty hot to trot on green decoys, and accuses groups who opposed her transfer scheme of being disengenous and the tools of out of state bad guys. You should ask her how much out of state money comes in to her "war chest" or if she just voluntarily accepts the words of DC PR firms set on smearing honest sportsmen at the behest of DC lobbying groups.

Back