PEAX Equipment

Zinke intends to move BLM HQ, etc

I see it as a good thing it will be interesting to see if it really happens with all the government red tape to make such a move happen. Nice to see some of the agencies moving out of the DC area.

Like Oak said congress still needs to appropriate the money, and with the total mess our govt seems to be in every other day I'm not sure I can see them agreeing. Gardner our Republican senator, who is in a tough re-election race, has been pushing for the GJ move for a long time, the house might hold things up just to make him look bad though every politician and conservation group in the state seems all for it. Congress could easily gum up the works until after 2020.

I'd be happy to see all of Interior move out here, DC is an incsetuous little bubble to live in.

Spreading staff that currently work out of one office, amongst three offices scattered across the country seems like a model of inefficiency and a huge waste of money. Either do it, or don’t. Half-assing it is probably the most wasteful solution they could have come up with.

The idea of having people “out west” is nice on paper, but I think being so far removed from legislators is going to hamstring the agency. The real decision makers (Congress) are still in DC, and now the agency leads are stuffed out of sight, out of mind in Grand Junction. Or would be, if anyone ever was appointed. Or maybe the cost savings plan is to just station the vacant positions in GJ.

I guess at least it isn’t Utah...

I think the handful of employees to Grand Junction is a favor for someone. With 500 employees already at the BLM NOC in Denver and good air connections at DIA it would have maybe made some sense to choose Denver for the move. GJ and Denver are not just a short 15 minute drive apart, though. There are 6 months of the year that you stand a better than average chance of I-70 being screwed up because of weather somewhere in the 240 miles that separate them.

Spreading staff that currently work out of one office, amongst three offices scattered across the country seems like a model of inefficiency and a huge waste of money. Either do it, or don’t. Half-assing it is probably the most wasteful solution they could have come up with.

The idea of having people “out west” is nice on paper, but I think being so far removed from legislators is going to hamstring the agency. The real decision makers (Congress) are still in DC, and now the agency leads are stuffed out of sight, out of mind in Grand Junction. Or would be, if anyone ever was appointed. Or maybe the cost savings plan is to just station the vacant positions in GJ.

I guess at least it isn’t Utah...
There will still be BLM lawyers/lobbyist in DC.

Logistically, it's more challenging to get to the majority of BLM lands from Grand Junction than DC, even if you exclude AK. I've not seen a compelling argument on this thread as to the tangible benefits of this move besides the red herring of spending less on people's salaries(as if that constitutes a meaningful amount of their budget). This doesn't get money appropriated for feral horse/burro management, fuel breaks, fuel load reduction, or any of the problems that plague BLM lands in the lower 48. It doesn't keep people from starting fires on BLM land. It doesn't decrease the amount of bureaucracy. IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING MEANINGFUL, but waste time. Just like writing this post.

I think the handful of employees to Grand Junction is a favor for someone. With 500 employees already at the BLM NOC in Denver and good air connections at DIA it would have maybe made some sense to choose Denver for the move. GJ and Denver are not just a short 15 minute drive apart, though. There are 6 months of the year that you stand a better than average chance of I-70 being screwed up because of weather somewhere in the 240 miles that separate them.
As in trying to get Sen Cory Gardner reelected? He's flailing in the polls due to his sycophancy to Trump.

I get tired of the “far removed from the land” bullshit. It’s an excuse and nothing more. How hard is it to jump a plane and go on a tour with community members and listen to them?

It’s ironic they are moving the personnel under the auspices of being more in touch, yet reduced the opportunity for stakeholders to be involved in the decision process.

Mike Penfold, former BLM Asst Director in Washington DC, speaks RE the politics of relocating BLM HQ to GJ CO, @ 5:45 of this video from last night's news broadcast:

The journal "Science".
Not a recommended and celebrated read by the folks the article focuses on, nor popular with and often read by the folks who align with those folks.
But, no worries......................

Interesting to read the comments within the first two pages and compare with the recent...

Note that some never commented a year ago on the original post, as maybe some figured it may just end up being just another current administration cluster$@#&:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back