Caribou Gear

Your Public Land

I believe you, but once again, proper training costs time and money. Likely those nimrods you have quickly criticized actually are educated and trained to do something completely different. A worthy public service opportunity would have evolved with just a few words of wisdom from you, as an experienced, educated noxious weed mitigation professional.

These guys were trained. They were identifying and spraying the correct weeds, as well as marking them with their GPS. The problem I have is with their process. Handgun spraying doesn't work in rangeland application. You'll never get all of the weeds with a handgun. These guys weren't equipped with a way to broadcast. Their data collection process is a joke....don't stand on top of a plant and GPS. Spray the area, and then drive a circle around it and GPS the infestation. These guys were trying to do their job as they had been trained. Their boss is the one that needs trained. I have talked to their boss since then and he swears their studies show they are doing it correctly. If that position comes open in the next few years I will apply. Guaranteed!

I know you think you are witty, but you really just come across as an arrogant, loudmouth asshole who hasn't been humbled in a good old "western "fashion in a little too long.

In all honesty you aren't that much different.

In all honesty I can't believe all the excitement over 20 acres in which there still isn't clear information on. Some people just have major issues with government agencies and spend time looking for little things to complain about. Folks in my family love doing this with the DNR so I guess I'm kinda used to it

How dysfunctional does an agency have to be before it's acceptable to demand change from that agency? This isn't the only example of dysfunction.

Roaring Lion fire burned 8700 acres. Forest Service has approved 45 acres around the trailheads for salvage logging

http://missoulian.com/news/local/ro...cle_bd20d1ad-ff92-55e4-8dca-038097fca6f8.html

Forest Service said they could barely justify this 45 acre salvage sale. Tony Jones says there is no market for the logs. Meanwhile, truck after truck of burned pine logs are going through town, on their way to the mill. Logs are coming off private property adjacent to the Forest Service land. People have had enough of the BS.

Time for some accountability. Show some accountability and I will be the first one to lobby for more funding for forest health projects.

BHR you really have no clue on the lumber market. Burnt logs vs green logs want to take a guess on value difference? I never said there was no market for the logs, saying I did is a lie. I did ask you if you thought the current lumber market would support the logging pre fire. Of course you didn't answer.

Why do you think those Roaring Lion logs are being cut on private after being burnt but were not cut when they were green?

The offer still stands to come by the office and learn about something you have no clue about.

Last edited:
How dysfunctional does an agency have to be before it's acceptable to demand change from that agency? This isn't the only example of dysfunction.

Roaring Lion fire burned 8700 acres. Forest Service has approved 45 acres around the trailheads for salvage logging

http://missoulian.com/news/local/ro...cle_bd20d1ad-ff92-55e4-8dca-038097fca6f8.html

Forest Service said they could barely justify this 45 acre salvage sale. Tony Jones says there is no market for the logs. Meanwhile, truck after truck of burned pine logs are going through town, on their way to the mill. Logs are coming off private property adjacent to the Forest Service land. People have had enough of the BS.

Time for some accountability. Show some accountability and I will be the first one to lobby for more funding for forest health projects.

Yay!!!!! More out of context Outrage!!!!! Accountability!!!! Drain The Swamp!!!! Make America Great Again!!!!!

297_zps1rxzjcpq.jpeg

BHR you really have no clue on the lumber market. Burnt logs vs green logs want to take a guess on value difference? I never said there was no market for the logs, saying I did is a lie. I did ask you if you thought the current lumber market would support the logging pre fire. Of course you didn't answer.

The offer still stands to come by the office and learn about something you have no clue about.

Burnt logs vs green depends on the quality and how soon you get them out of the woods. Diddle around and they are worthless. I've heard some exceptional quality fir is being salvaged. The pine going through town looks good too. In your cripitic way, you insinuate there is no market for logs. I showed you what the market was for logs. Of course you didn't respond.

Answer this question directly Tony without all the spin.

Do you think the FS should offer more acres of salvage cutting on the Roaring Lion fire?

Burnt logs vs green depends on the quality and how soon you get them out of the woods. Diddle around and they are worthless. I've heard some exceptional quality fir is being salvaged. The pine going through town looks good too. In your cripitic way, you insinuate there is no market for logs. I showed you what the market was for logs. Of course you didn't respond.

Answer this question directly Tony without all the spin.

Do you think the FS should offer more acres of salvage cutting on the Roaring Lion fire?
BHR do you think the 45 a acres that's getting salvaged is all their going to offer? Good looking timber means a good price was had? Come on man!

I know nothing about logs, unless we are talking cottonwood....but the beetle killed pine that I have seen is some of the nicest looking stuff I've ever seen when cut into timbers, bars, mantles, ect.. I know a guy who milled a beetle killed pine and sold a 3"x12"x16' fireplace mantle for $500, but maybe that's not worth it to some folks, seemed like a lot to me. Just remember, I come from Eastern Montana where we've been clear cut for nearly 2000 years.

Those are then projects which do not get accomplished.

Last summer I stopped in a USFS office and described an extensive spotted knapweed infestation on National Forest. The USFS employee I spoke with was already aware of that weed problem, as well as many more. The noxious weed mitigation project was of importance but not possible due to resources committed to projects of higher priority ... specifically, it was fire season and all hands were on deck, some in Montana but also sent elsewhere as needed.

I did that a few years ago with a leafy spurge patch about 1/2 way to Baldy. They said I could volunteer to adopt it and gave me Tordon to apply... got it about licked now. They tried to get me to work on a knapweed problem but I didn't have the energy. Maybe we should go spray it this summer?

I wonder how much the increased firefighting budget is based on policy. Are they more likely to fight a fire now than in the 80s? A lot of people would rather have them spend money on stuff like that instead of advocating for wildlife.

I did that a few years ago with a leafy spurge patch about 1/2 way to Baldy. They said I could volunteer to adopt it and gave me Tordon to apply... got it about licked now. They tried to get me to work on a knapweed problem but I didn't have the energy. Maybe we should go spray it this summer?

I wonder how much the increased firefighting budget is based on policy. Are they more likely to fight a fire now than in the 80s? A lot of people would rather have them spend money on stuff like that instead of advocating for wildlife.

Rob, I will help you spray that knapweed patch this summer. If you get the chemical donated I'll supply the equipment and labor.

To get this thread back on topic....

Contractors are doing a horrible job building houses lately, and there needs to be a big shake up on Building Codes, Building Inspection Agencies, IMO....

As evidence, I provide a picture, with no context:

View attachment 65710

What do you think Big Horn, you able to generate Faux Outrage against your brethren, based on a single picture?

What happens when you use cheap Canadian lumber, Jose. Make America Great Again! Buy Montana lumber.

BHR do you think the 45 a acres that's getting salvaged is all their going to offer? Good looking timber means a good price was had? Come on man!

After talking to Julie, yes. 45 acres is all they plan to offer for salvage. Letting all your forest burn or get taken out by pine beetles is not going to get you a good price for the timber. Thinning work done prior to the fire would have lead to less devastation, and way lower fire fighting cost on this fire. It may not have brought in a lot of money in bids, but it would have saved a lot of money in the long run.

Last edited:
What happens when you use cheap Canadian lumber, Jose. Make America Great Again! Buy Montana lumber.

Well, we get affordable, single family homes for lot of people. We employ millions of guys that swing hammers, bang nails, and make long boards short.

The day I start looking for a country of origin stamp on a 2x4 will be the day that Dear Leader Trump announces the beginning of the Greatest Recession in History.

Sorry, but I won't spend an extra penny on Montana lumber, when I can buy far superior engineered lumber from Idaho....

Even TNC understands the need to do commercial thinning for long term forest health. They are thinning out dense douglas fir thickets on their recently acquired property. Slash will be piled and burned next fall. The elk will be all over this come spring time.

DSC00086.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully TNC does more work like this on their sections earmarked for the forest service (outlined in green), prior to turning it over to the forest service.

Screenshot (10).jpg

Hey Detective BigHorn, you ever solve the crime committed in the original picture?

I tried looking back thru this thread, but, I wasn't able to find the post you made where you solved the crime and were able to show the need for a big shake up.

Thanks.

Hey Detective BigHorn, you ever solve the crime committed in the original picture?

I tried looking back thru this thread, but, I wasn't able to find the post you made where you solved the crime and were able to show the need for a big shake up.

Thanks.

The BNF supervisor asked me to wait until after New Years to submit my information request (short staffed due to the holidays) and I agreed. Process is moving forward, albeit at glacial speed.

Back