Your preferred arrow weight for elk

Elkmagnet

I have always shot a 400gr arrow I was thinking of going up to like 425gr by switching from 100 grain broadheads to 125s for elk. there is nothing wrong with my current setup but I always feel the need to tinker and tweak it. I just thought I would get some opinions on what grain everybody likes to shoot I know some guys like 300 and some guys will not shoot anything but 500gr.

I shoot 300 grain arrow and 100 grain broadhead. To me it's more about shot placement. With a flatter trajectory you are less likely to miss your targe becuase of a misjudgement of distance due to the animal being away from something you've already ranged in your set up.

477 gr total, using at 100 gr BH

for elk and mule deer I like this 'heavier' setup'. Maybe a bit more punch on impact.

My bow spits it out at 273 fps which is quick and flat enough trajectory to suit me.

I shoot 340gr. ACC pro-hunters with 100 gr. montecs.The ACC are hands down the most accurate arrow I've ever shot.I don't worry about my set up at all;just the shooter;me

I switched to a "Full Metal Jacket" and 125 Slick Tricks when hunted elk last year. I learned to like the heavier set up so much I still shoot it on whitetails.

There are extensive articles written on this subject. Do your homework and I am willing to bet you will make the change. Remember, elk are big, tough animals. Why take a chance? Go with the heavy set up and achieve maximum penetration.

I tinker a bit as well, but find nearly all our setups fall in the 440 grn range to 500grn. I will be shooting 500grn this year as well. It quiets your bow considerably & packs a punch downrange after 40yds.

ElkNut1

I switched to the GT kinetic pro 200 big game this summer. With a 125 head it has a punch downrange. The bow is quite as a whisper, well see how it does on meat.

I used to be a tinkerer, but about 8 yrs. ago I found a combination that works well for me and have tinkered very little since. I shoot GoldTip 5575 arrows with 100 gr. Muzzy heads, total weight, 405 grains. Nothing fancy and relatively inexpensive by todays standards. Since I am not a long distance shooter I am content with the larger diameter shaft and I fletch with 4" helical vanes. I have used this arrow out of my last 3 Mathews bows all @ 70#.

This combo has performed perfectly on deer, antelope, caribou and elk and on African plains game, including a zebra stallion. I understand the desire to tinker, but in my case I abide by the old addage, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

I used to be a tinkerer, but about 8 yrs. ago I found a combination that works well for me and have tinkered very little since. I shoot GoldTip 5575 arrows with 100 gr. Muzzy heads, total weight, 405 grains. Nothing fancy and relatively inexpensive by todays standards. Since I am not a long distance shooter I am content with the larger diameter shaft and I fletch with 4" helical vanes. I have used this arrow out of my last 3 Mathews bows all @ 70#.

This combo has performed perfectly on deer, antelope, caribou and elk and on African plains game, including a zebra stallion. I understand the desire to tinker, but in my case I abide by the old addage, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Hey dexnrex thats the same setup I currently use but i shoot straight vanes through a wisker bisket. Does anyone know if you can shoot helical through a bisket? dexnrex did your groupes tighten up with helical vanes and the muzzys?

Assuming you have the arrow spine to support a 125gr head, the increased FOC will help with greater downrange accuracy and retained energy. But DO NOT make that switch if it will weaken arrow spine much.

elkmagnet, Shooting helical vanes through a whisket bisket would probably slow your arrow significantly. At the same time I'm sure you would get a alot of spin on your arrow, but I don't know if that would offset the loss of speed.

I shoot Ripcord rests on my bows and really like them. The helical fletch did tighten my groups. I thought about going to a smaller cutting diameter head, but with my set up I can keep the larger cut and my broadheads fly identical to my field points.

Arrow placement is much more important than the little difference weight makes in kinetic energy.

Use what is most accurate with your setup.

Arrow placement is much more important than the little difference weight makes in kinetic energy.

Use what is most accurate with your setup.

I agree that shoot placement is everything but I think arrow weight is far more important than speed because I want my arrow to poke out the far side of an elk and give me twice the blood trail to follow.

I agree that shoot placement is everything but I think arrow weight is far more important than speed because I want my arrow to poke out the far side of an elk and give me twice the blood trail to follow.

I agree an exit hole is nice ( I seldom get one) but once the broad head has left the body it is worthless for the remainder of the event. I my opinion keeping a razor sharp broad head in the body cavity, ricocheting around and continuing to cut as the animal moves warrants the same admiration as the coveted "pass through".

I am not discounting your pass through theory and I am glad we agree that placement is the key.

I had only made it out once and i was shooting 28 inches of Beman ICS 400's with a 100 gr tip. Blew right through a cow at 21 yards. Since then I have switched a few things out and did end up going a bit heavier with Easton Axis camo and 100gr tips. Total weight is not 429. Not sure what the speed is but they fly fantastic and have quieted up the bow some.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back