Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Youngest Sheep Grand Slam

@neffa3 - my kids don’t get candy, that stuff rots their teeth and dentists are expensive! Hell yes they get the best toys, kids are only kids once!!

With that being said, my kids have to live up to certain expectations. Academic performance, music lessons, sports, lawn mowing, snow shoveling, taking care of their animals, raising stock show animals, etc. - all of these things have to be done at a high-level, or else the “fun stuff” gets taken away.

I agree Outdoor Life did a terrible job on this article. My only point is this - what is ethical to one might not be ethical to another. We as hunters may be our own demise because of the constant fighting, bickering, jealousy, and ball busting within the ranks. Whether a parent wants to spend $100,000 or $10 on their kids outdoor experiences and adventures, what does it really matter?

A little humility goes a long ways and most sheep hunters could use a good dose of it. To each their own. The kids likely grew up around sheep hunting and were excited about it. My kids will soon be hunting and killing sheep, I hope...

Spending $300k on your kids passions is a little strange to those of us with no money but the same goes for those with even less money than we have. I'm dropping $5k this week on an armed camping trip, for instance...

Lots of kids kill big animals with their parents at young ages. I don't fault the guy for doing what he loves and spending the stupid amount of money, it's his to spend. Sheep hunting is a wierd affliction that effects people differently. IMO chasing a grandslam just to kill a bunch of sheep get a participation trophy is probable the lamest acalodes of hunting there is. Seems most that get a grandslam, make sure they let everyone know it.

The trophy mentality runs strong in sheep hunters.

I don’t know. It’s all relative kinda. I put in a bunch of work so my eight year old could shoot a big Tom that had be at least three years old. A trophy for sure in this part of WI. Comparatively, maybe more so than one of those sheep. We got to hunt that private land spot due to connections my Dad has made. Yes, I tried to make my son do a little more work than I thought he could handle and yes it was all in hand-me-downs. But our hand-me-downs could be somebody else’s Sitka. Is our turkey hunt as “cringey” as some see these sheep hunts? I hope not. However, it could be, but might not be. I was just trying to facilitate a love of hunting for my kid. Did I do it right or the best way possible? I don’t know - all I know for sure is I did the best I could.

Are my turkey hunts just a poor man’s version of this guy’s sheep hunts, maybe and maybe not. I think we can all agree that we just want hunting shown in the best light possible, even if we can’t agree on what that light is.

definitely not how i'd spend my time and money if i was wealthy and had a 13 year old daughter obsessed with hunting.

but the number one thing i know is how much these folks don't give a rats ass about the criticism.

Some good points made on the pro side. We all have some level of privilege that allows us to share experiences with our kids, whatever those might be.

The grandstanding puts it over the top. The Gunwerks and Kuiu name drops, the big yardage brag, etc...Makes it all feel like a reality show version of something that's pretty precious to a lot of us. Does it "matter" what random people think? Of course not. But some discussion on the different perspectives is kind of interesting.

“…and killed a grizzly bear that ran into camp with a 712-yard shot.”

I always assumed that most shots at bears running into camp were taken at very close range. The quoted line makes me think Texans have really big, spread out camps. Am I right, @noharleyyet?

I am with @CPAjeff though, if I could afford to take my daughter on a quest for a Grand Slam, and she wanted to do it, we would be on our way. And, I would gladly carry her pack, and, if legal, her rifle. So, congrats to Cami for her accomplishment.
Good for her and good for her dad paying for and doing it with her and her siblings...I'm not the least bit jealously offended.

God bless Texas. ;)

Sheep and hunters are really interesting from a psychological standpoint.

If someone really truly loves sheep they will spend time in sheep country even though they don't' have a tag. Some will even go volunteer to do things that help sheep. These are also the folks who will go do an unlimited hunt in spite of the challenges.

Sadly most could care less about sheep and simply want to have a grip and grin to show people. They spend most of their time complaining about how hard it is to draw tags even though they rarely if ever actually look at live sheep.

As far as this story I would guess there is a 1% chance this was her idea of fun, and 99% chance this was dads idea.

Reading through this my greatest concern is for the future of hunting. This is directly from Outdoorlife’s website, “Our mission is to deliver stories about success in the field, cutting-edge gear, and adventures in far-off wildernesses and close-to-home woodlots. We inspire America's outdoorsmen and women to chase the critter's they're passionate about and fight for the wild places they love.”

Does this story fit their mission?

As I read through these posts my concern is boundaries, where are yours? I believe in fair chase, for example. Does this story exhibit fair chase?

Also, I don’t see kids with pure joy. This is through MY eyes. I see social media culture that is all about me, likes, and status.

“…and killed a grizzly bear that ran into camp with a 712-yard shot.”

I always assumed that most shots at bears running into camp were taken at very close range. The quoted line makes me think Texans have really big, spread out camps. Am I right, @noharleyyet?
Ha ha, that part stood out to me as well.

Reading through this my greatest concern is for the future of hunting. This is directly from Outdoorlife’s website, “Our mission is to deliver stories about success in the field, cutting-edge gear, and adventures in far-off wildernesses and close-to-home woodlots. We inspire America's outdoorsmen and women to chase the critter's they're passionate about and fight for the wild places they love.”

Does this story fit their mission?

As I read through these posts my concern is boundaries, where are yours? I believe in fair chase, for example. Does this story exhibit fair chase?

Also, I don’t see kids with pure joy. This is through MY eyes. I see social media culture that is all about me, likes, and status.
So Kuiu and Gunwerks buy ads @ O'Life

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back