Youngest Sheep Grand Slam

I agree.

I wonder how many miles the 10-13 year olds carried a 50 lb pack? Carried their own rifle even?

Wonder how much knife work they did caping and breaking down animals to pack?

Wonder why they would even mention shot distance? Or that they owned gunwerks firearms?

There is nothing being learned in these deals other than if you make f-you money you can hit the easy button. You pay others to do the grunt work.

Why I struggle with the whole sheep hunting scene, it makes me uncomfortably nauseous at times.
I gladly did the knife work on the deer my son killed when he was young. Guess what? He now does much of the knife work for me. These girls put in a lot of work on their trips. Give them a pat on the back.

Wow - so a guy and his wife work hard and decide to spend their hard earned money in a way that enables them to spend time with their daughters outdoors, and that’s a problem?!?

Seems like a little jealously around here.

I’d do the same thing, if I had the money!
It is jealousy. Plain and simple. Very few easy sheep hunts, regardless of the money spent.

Wow - so a guy and his wife work hard and decide to spend their hard earned money in a way that enables them to spend time with their daughters outdoors, and that’s a problem?!?

Thank you Jeff, I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't see anything wrong with this. Good for him for spending that time with his daughters.

My trips to the woods with my daughter at a young age have been some of the best days of my life. Now she's fifteen and sitting in a deer blind or on a dove field, things she used to love, have been replaced with school, marching band, and part time jobs. Am I jealous of a family who can provide amazing experiences to their children? Whether they involve hunting or not, you bet. On the other hand, my parents raised me to live below my means and be thankful for what I have.

Once you get past the dollar signs, the cringiest thing in the article was her reference to the pressure and a weight being lifted off her shoulders. Hopefully it was internal pressure, and not pressure from her parents to break some silly record.

I'll never do a sheep hunt and neither have my dad or grandfathers. Different strokes for different folks. Good on the parents for working hard to earn a mountain of money and raising kids in a way where they aren't afraid to work hard and climb a mountain. If the girls carried a pack, rifle, etc, is totally irrelevant in my eyes.

Call it what it is expensive trigger pulling.

Doing all they can to take the hunt part out of hunting...robbing themselves of the best part.

Exactly this.

On one hand, this gal is just a child and has no say in this. On the other, to anyone reading this, what is hunting to you? It's something we debate ad nauseum on this site. Think about its core and its future, and think about how you can be close to or distant from that core, and then think about how distant this story is from those we tell one another about what hunting is to us. The stories on this site that bring us together. Feels dirty to me.

“And her little sister Stormy is just getting started.”

*BARF*

There is just something humans just hate about seeing people flaunt accomplishments they didn’t earn. The article should about how the dad became a very wealthy plastic surgeon, not about how his daughters benefit from him throwing money around.

I can’t help but read this and think about my ten year old daughter who needs braces on her teeth.😳

Gonna be nice to know my monthly payment could be funding another 10 year old’s sheep slam.😂

Good for them I guess. I suppose at some point a tinge of jealousy does enter the picture of I am being honest. At the end of the day what he does with his money is irrelevant to me. What I do with mine and the time I spend with my kids is what I plan to focus on.

Having said all that, I am happy to see a Dad that is connecting with his daughters in a positive way and includes hunting as that shared bond.

I get why many find this whole thing distasteful. I also get why some find it a great way for a father to connect with his daughters in the outdoors.

For me, I find it neither of those. I am neither impressed or depressed at these young ladies accomplishments. I see nothing wrong with what the father is doing and I also see nothing all that aspirational in what he is doing.

It is not how I choose to spend my time with my sons or how I choose to spend my money. To each their own. I absolutely love the hunts I do with my sons. Our yearly OTC tags for elk and deer and the occasional pronghorn when we get lucky are all I need and they seem to enjoy them as well. They pale in comparison to what this family has done in both the "trophy" category and cost category. But I wouldn't trade them for anything this family has done. I only hope that my sons feel the same way. Judging by the smiles and eagerness I see in them, I think they do. If this family gets the same outcome then good for them.

Do you give your kids all the candy they want, all the "best" toys? Or do you think they should learn to earn it, learn to go without, start small and work they're way up through effort, mistakes, learned lessons? Set goals and work hard to achieve them. And how disappointing for those kids, to start at the top. What are they going to look forward to in 20 years? Sitting in a stand waiting on a whitetail doe?
That’s sad. Parents getting their children into the outdoors is a wonderful thing. These girls are being raised with a foundation of hard work and accomplishment. Would you rather they sat around on a smart phone all day?
That's a rather odd way to argue for the article, there are lots of things that aren't sitting around on a smart phone that I definitely don't think are worthy.

Maybe I'm to much of a hard ass, that I remember what it was like to be poor, to not get everything I wanted, and that it may have made me a better person. I can see we have some different parenting styles here.

And how disappointing for those kids, to start at the top. What are they going to look forward to in 20 years? Sitting in a stand waiting on a whitetail doe?
If the only goal or aspirations those girls have in regards to hunting is to complete a slam, then yes I guess they have little to look forward to. If they have other goals or aspirations, like just doing more hunts then they have a lifetime of things to look forward to.

0% jealously here, but have problems with the fact that a story LIKE this is being used as an example for anything resembling Bringing young hunters into the fold. yes rich people can Introduce their kids to hunting same as less fortunate people, but if we hold these up as examples instead of the guy passing on old camo to a young hunter - we lose something the fight for new hunters and conservation. Also is hunting success at a young age the greatest marker in terms of developing a love for hunting?

do I want to win every mega elk hunt raffle I enter? Yes. But if I won every time and punched huge bulls to start my career, those lean years on general / otc tags are going to lose their effect. There is something to be said about not setting stupidly high expectations for your kids at a young age.

I just hope he is as understanding and supportive when they are teenagers and decide that going on high end hunts aren’t their thing and they would like to do something else for fun. It’s not always an easy line to navigate between what a Dad finds enjoyable with his kids and what the kids find enjoyable with their Dad.

0% jealously here, but have problems with the fact that a story LIKE this is being used as an example for anything resembling Bringing young hunters into the fold. yes rich people can Introduce their kids to hunting same as less fortunate people, but if we hold these up as examples instead of the guy passing on old camo to a young hunter - we lose something the fight for new hunters and conservation. Also is hunting success at a young age the greatest marker in terms of developing a love for hunting?

do I want to win every mega elk hunt raffle I enter? Yes. But if I won every time and punched huge bulls to start my career, those lean years on general / otc tags are going to lose their effect. There is something to be said about not setting stupidly high expectations for your kids at a young age.
This story is just one example, not the only example of bringing young hunters along. There are plenty of examples, on this forum alone, of the many other paths such as the one you mentioned. I personally think there is much to be learned from reading this example. It only helped to solidify in my mind that they way I am doing it is 100% right for my family. There is value in that.

So a Texan has the money to carry on a family tradition. OK. At least he is not buying up checkerboard and locking it up. What triggers me here is the shoddy journalism.

WTF happened to Outdoor Life?

"She ended up harvesting a ram that had become a pneumonia risk for domestic sheep that grazed nearby."

Even though O'Connor was known for originating The Duke's marksmanship style, Jack is turning cartwheels in his grave over the fact that the OL writers and editors know nothing about sheep ecology.

I guess that means they don't know Jack Shit.

There used to be an elk ranch on my road. The owner convinced the local cub reporter at the Moscow Daily Blues the fences were to keep wild elk from infecting his herd with disease. This kind of reporting burns my butt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back