Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Youngest Sheep Grand Slam

MTLabrador

I am in the wrong line of work to be a hunter in 2022. Good thing I enjoy general tag elk hunting more than just about anything else I suppose.

At 10 years old: “Later that year she had a successful Dall sheep hunt in Alaska, where she also tagged a caribou and killed a grizzly bear that ran into camp with a 712-yard shot.”

I am in the wrong line of work to be a hunter in 2022. Good thing I enjoy general tag elk hunting more than just about anything else I suppose.

At 10 years old: “Later that year she had a successful Dall sheep hunt in Alaska, where she also tagged a caribou and killed a grizzly bear that ran into camp with a 712-yard shot.”

I can't unlike that enough. It just doesn't sit well with me. None of it.

To each their own - definitely an accomplishment. If you look at it through the lense of “having something special to do/share/experience with your daughter” and it’s something they’re not into (and you have the money) then by all means.

Wow - so a guy and his wife work hard and decide to spend their hard earned money in a way that enables them to spend time with their daughters outdoors, and that’s a problem?!?

Seems like a little jealously around here.

I’d do the same thing, if I had the money!
A 10 year old taking 700 yard plus shots at a grizzly? You’re damn right I think that’s a problem.

A 10 year old taking 700 yard plus shots at a grizzly? You’re damn right I think that’s a problem.
LOL - I’m sure they really care about what you think.

Do you know anything about how much she practiced at that range before the hunt?

I couldn’t give two shits either way, but just because you can’t/won’t doesn’t mean others can’t/won’t either.

Wow - so a guy and his wife work hard and decide to spend their hard earned money in a way that enables them to spend time with their daughters outdoors, and that’s a problem?!?

Seems like a little jealously around here.

I’d do the same thing, if I had the money!
I get your point, but why splash it around bragging about half mile shots, youngest female blah friggin' blah.

Mom and Dad have an ego problem living vicariously.

Call it what it is expensive trigger pulling.

Doing all they can to take the hunt part out of hunting...robbing themselves of the best part.

This is a seriously interesting read. There’s so much to this story. I don’t like that Outdoorlife even published the article.

I don’t believe we should celebrate the “monarchy.” Should hunting in the US be for the wealthy? Should we celebrate a 10 year old for “accomplishing” a goal that she only accomplished due to her Dad’s wealth?

It reminds me of wealthy kids sailing or floating around the world in balloons. Maybe I’m a cynic, but the story seems very polished. And… is a 712 yard shot on a grizz ethical?

Maybe I’m jealous? 🤔

This is a seriously interesting read. There’s so much to this story. I don’t like that Outdoorlife even published the article.

I don’t believe we should celebrate the “monarchy.” Should hunting in the US be for the wealthy? Should we celebrate a 10 year old for “accomplishing” a goal that she only accomplished due to her Dad’s wealth?

It reminds me of wealthy kids sailing or floating around the world in balloons. Maybe I’m a cynic, but the story seems very polished. And… is a 712 yard shot on a grizz ethical?

Maybe I’m jealous? 🤔
I agree.

I wonder how many miles the 10-13 year olds carried a 50 lb pack? Carried their own rifle even?

Wonder how much knife work they did caping and breaking down animals to pack?

Wonder why they would even mention shot distance? Or that they owned gunwerks firearms?

There is nothing being learned in these deals other than if you make f-you money you can hit the easy button. You pay others to do the grunt work.

Why I struggle with the whole sheep hunting scene, it makes me uncomfortably nauseous at times.

“…and killed a grizzly bear that ran into camp with a 712-yard shot.”

I always assumed that most shots at bears running into camp were taken at very close range. The quoted line makes me think Texans have really big, spread out camps. Am I right, @noharleyyet?

I am with @CPAjeff though, if I could afford to take my daughter on a quest for a Grand Slam, and she wanted to do it, we would be on our way. And, I would gladly carry her pack, and, if legal, her rifle. So, congrats to Cami for her accomplishment.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back