Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Youngest Sheep Grand Slam

I'm in the mixed camp. I don't fault anyone except possibly the writer and the magazine editor. This article belongs in the Ovis Grand Slam magazine, not Outdoor Life.

I was super pumped to take my son hunting in Africa this summer and we had an amazing time. Were we simply trigger pullers? Probably. We had to do our part and we did walk nearly 70 miles over the days we were there but there is no way we could have shot the animals we did without extensive help.

Could that $25K been better spent on something else? I'm sure. Did we have some awesome bonding time together as a family? You bet! Did it help solidify my sons love for hunting and the outdoors? I think so.

Oh well, to each their own. In my shoes it seems a bit extreme, but I'm sure to others our recent trip to Africa was extreme and any out of state hunting isn't a good deal from a standpoint of acquiring low cost organic meat.

Another thought, How many parents pay big money for their kids to play club sports? Stupidly expensive summer camps?

How's that different?
I know some that spend a LOT of money chasing the AAU or summer leagues in whatever sport with the "traveling teams"..
By the end of the summer they ae all worn out and happy that school is starting

Another thought, How many parents pay big money for their kids to play club sports? Stupidly expensive summer camps?
I mostly agree. If you're saying folks who do that shouldn't be calling the kettle black then I completely agree.

To carry that analogy further, what if competitive golf changed my life and sharing that with my kids was important to me. It would gross me out to read golf's "regular Joe" magazine (if there is one, idk) about John Doe spending more than 99.9% of parents so his kid can drive a ball farther, play courses most of us would never see, and hit a hole in one. Insert fancy golf club brand and pics with spotless fancy shoes.

How's that different?
I do think it's different in that learning to pursue, kill, and butcher an animal is more sacred than any competitive sport.

To each his own.

I personally like it a lot better when I see kids saving some of their own money and having some skin in the game. I also think killing a grand slam before you are in your mid teens is a good way to get kids disinterested in hunting. I mean, where to from here?

It would be fascinating to circle back in 10-20 years and see how interested they are in hunting. But more and more I realize you can't put everyone in the same box, so who knows.

It's certainly not how I'm raising my children, but I'm not an oral surgeon either.....

3 Things for me that make this kinda sad .......

1) The idea that this girl, before the age of 10, was some kind of "passionate" or "obsessed" sheep addict. This entire scenario is about dad. Which leads to ...

2) The name dropping of, what I will bet are, sponsors of some form (probably free gear). That was intentional and planned. Comingling with that is the VERY high probability that this piece was planned and initiated move on the part of dad- straight ego.

3) The statement that this was about "inspiring young women"......FFS, what a transparent attempt to try and justify dad's ego driven plans for such publicly touted "accomplishments". Also, what normal girl is going to see this and think it applies to her in any way?

Outside of the things above the hunting of this young lady with her dad would be awesome. I don't care about how much money was spent. I don't care about the lengths gone to to make this happen. I don't care about the yardage of the shots taken if the shooter trained for them (although the inclusion of them in the article goes toward #3 above).

If you want to see an example of a somewhat similar pattern you should come into the gun room at our Scheels store and look at the taxidermy on loan to us from just a couple of families. Between the hunts and taxidermy there are a few million dollars worth on the wall or pedestals.....

We did a rib cook for a worthy cause years ago and were throwing some leftover coleslaw in the dumpster that disturbed a diver we didn't know was in there. One of our more astute members, a few beers smarter, shouted 'trickle down economy'.

At the time I thought it unintelligible but it finally came to me.

We did a rib cook for a worthy cause years ago and were throwing some leftover coleslaw in the dumpster that disturbed a diver we didn't know was in there. One of our more astute members, a few beers smarter, shouted 'trickle down economy'.

I think I get it, but I am not sure I get it the way you were meaning for it to be got.
So, pretty standard.

At what point did the young lady actually do any hunting?
How many hours were spent behind the glass looking for sheep?
How many miles did she walk in her boots carrying her pack?
Does she think she has accomplished a milestone? Probably not.
She simply pulls the trigger on the animal her daddy put her in front of and then daddy is sooo happy, not for her but for himself.
And she will keep doing it because she doesn't want to disappoint daddy.

I chuckled

She simply pulls the trigger on the animal her daddy put her in front of and then daddy is sooo happy, not for her but for himself.
Child abuse, right?

I am mostly indifferent to this and would have likely never heard about it if not posted here. Overall it just doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment. I do not view it as a positive for hunting (also don't see it as negative) but I can see why many hunters would view it as a negative. The people that say anyone who criticizes this is jealous is silly. Reminds me of when someone is called a "hater" or jealous for criticizing social media hunting influencers. We don't need to have blind support for all hunting related activities.

Lots of assumptions there. So does every kid that kills an animal do it for their daddy? What age do they do it for themselves?

I think I get it, but I am not sure I get it the way you were meaning for it to be got.
So, pretty standard.
Yea, sorry for the downtrodden overtones. Not to worry, the diver (prolly bad nomenclature) laughed with us and was rewarded for his good nature. Our group doesn't thumbs down anyone.

If the girl wanted to do it, she was into it, and it was her idea than we got parent of the year contenders here but I am skeptical that’s the case. This really seems like something “dad really really wanted me to do it”. which likely turns into kids that are not that into the activity later in life. But no judgement here. It’s legal and they can afford it that’s great. My parents took me catfishing a few times…which is basically the same thing right?…definitely jealous😂😂

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back