YETI coolers

noharleyyet

Who has one? What size & are they worth the dough? Looking at the Tundra series.

They are awesome. I want one. Hold ice like nothing I've ever seen. Really durable too.

I bought a couple of yeti coolers last year. Great for the boat offshore but not for my hunting camp. They are heavy and do not have alot of room inside for the size they are. I Know one thing, they are indestuctible.

Who has one? What size & are they worth the dough? Looking at the Tundra series.

I have five. All different sizes and all of the Tundra series. They are everything you could want. An investment, no doubt, but I have a shop full of coolers that didn't even make one season, so I am glad to pay once and have two great seasons from them already.

They are made down in your part of the world, so your Texas pride probably requires that you buy at least one.

You ain't gonna nudge it very far on rhino liner, full or empty. They certainly are as advertised.

Well worth the extra money. We have been working away from home and have a 65 tundra and it has kept ice for six days in 80 degree plus weather.

I have a couple Yetis and my 75 tundra has had the crap beat out of it over the past 3 yrs and still looks and functions great. Are they worth 10x the price of an igloo, probably not. But as others have said, its an investment and if you have the dough, buy one. The Yeti is map priced but there are the occasional group buy out there that company X will put on which will save you ca 25%. And as Randy stated, the Engel appears to be an excellent cooler and actually beats the Yeti is a couple head to head tests.

Have a BIG Yeti. If I drive to a hunt, the Yeti goes. I duct tape the seams shut if want to have ice for after I get an animal down. Amazing coolers. If you open your cooler 10 times a day then any cooler will lose the ice in days. I take a smaller cooler with items I need often and then open the Yeti once or twice each day to get to items will need. Having the cooler with the seams duct-taped in the shade covered with a moving blanket on top helps a marginal cooler perform better. I drain water off, too, but not sure this prolongs the life of the ice.

Dry ice is another option but do not mix ice and dry ice in same cooler. Also, if use dry ice, only place the cooler in a well-vented area as the gas produced as the ice melts can cause very bad issues for you, like death.

Have a BIG Yeti. If I drive to a hunt, the Yeti goes. I duct tape the seams shut if want to have ice for after I get an animal down. Amazing coolers. If you open your cooler 10 times a day then any cooler will lose the ice in days. I take a smaller cooler with items I need often and then open the Yeti once or twice each day to get to items will need. Having the cooler with the seams duct-taped in the shade covered with a moving blanket on top helps a marginal cooler perform better. I drain water off, too, but not sure this prolongs the life of the ice.

Dry ice is another option but do not mix ice and dry ice in same cooler. Also, if use dry ice, only place the cooler in a well-vented area as the gas produced as the ice melts can cause very bad issues for you, like death.

Why ?

Just my 2 cents. The people that make the "Grizzly coolers" are the next town away from me so I looked that the Grizzly coolers. I ended up buying the 400 and 150 models. Both are very well built and similar to the Yeti coolers. I took them to Wyoming the past two years during my antelope hunt. I filled the 150 with ice when I arrived in Wyoming and stocked it with food. The first year it averaged in the 80's everyday. The cooler was kept in the shade and only opened at eating times. After 8 days the cooler still had ice (blocks) and was keeping the food cold. The newer models have the rubber latches that have replaced the metal latches of old.

They are heavy and very well built. I checked on prices and they are cheaper in cost then the Yeti coolers of comparable size.

Here is a video comparison form 2010 on Youtube that I found interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

I can not speak for the other coolers, however, I would recommend the Grizzly coolers for long needed ice retention.

good luck to all
the dog

Just my 2 cents. The people that make the "Grizzly coolers" are the next town away from me so I looked that the Grizzly coolers. I ended up buying the 400 and 150 models. Both are very well built and similar to the Yeti coolers. I took them to Wyoming the past two years during my antelope hunt. I filled the 150 with ice when I arrived in Wyoming and stocked it with food. The first year it averaged in the 80's everyday. The cooler was kept in the shade and only opened at eating times. After 8 days the cooler still had ice (blocks) and was keeping the food cold. The newer models have the rubber latches that have replaced the metal latches of old.

They are heavy and very well built. I checked on prices and they are cheaper in cost then the Yeti coolers of comparable size.

Here is a video comparison form 2010 on Youtube that I found interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

I can not speak for the other coolers, however, I would recommend the Grizzly coolers for long needed ice retention.

good luck to all
the dog

Nice looking coolers...might have to check the 150 out for this october's elk trip Thx for the fyi.

They are a great chest. I have one that I won (smaller). You can save a bunch of money and buy a Marine Moeller ice chest.....same chest as the Yeti (feature wise) but quite a bit cheaper.

My friend has a small Yeti and it works great but it comes with a price...I would look into the one Randy mentioned and the Pelical before making any purchases.....:cool:

Definitely worth the money... Granted I normally wouldn't spend that much on a cooler but I didn't have to cause I won it off a tool truck. Incredibly durable. When I'm not using mine to keep things cold I use for box jumps in workouts and I'm a solid 215.

I have a 5 year old Outer Banks 70 qt. (now Icey Tek) cooler. It stays all summer in the Florida heat in the boat. Then into the back of the truck for hunting season. Yes these type of coolers are expensive, and will keep ice longer, but for me the reason for having them is they are almost indestructible. The Igloo coolers I've had deform after a season in the sun with large adults standing/sitting/jumping on them.

Been looking for a quality cooler for a while and will likely get a competitor of Yeti for the simple fact that Yeti translates to "steal me" in the dirtbag dialect. Talked to more than a few guys that noted they always worry when the Yeti is in the back of the truck, something they didn't expect when they bought it.

The Yeti's are also primarily no longer made in America unlike several of the others. The Yeti website says you can call and ask for an American made one, but I prefer the companies that stayed local if I am going to spend that much scratch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back