Yet Another Reminder

I haven’t bothered to keep up will all the fad finance folks, but anyone who says absolutely zero debt, absolutely zero credit card use, no insurance or other extreme positions not only is just the financial equivalent of a fad “grapefruit diet” charlatan but also doesn’t understand how money actually works. Prohibition on smart debt, convenience use of credit cards even though they are always paid off monthly and other fad “bugaboos” are actually the opposite of efficient and effective money management.

As for the term “bogglehead”. I had never even heard that term until 2 or 3 years ago. The basis for my post was the the core math published out of Harvard biz school in the 70s and has been repeatedly validated in hundreds of studies since. I like vanguard because they are well run and very low cost/load. I have never read a word from their founder.
I agree 100%. I apologize for the evangelical energy (if you perceived any 🤷‍♂️
) surrounding this. I think my enthuisiasm was because the MMM stuff (among others like JL Collins, etc.) was a source of how I became bought into the ideas you presented in your original post and then this one quoted above, and how they were presented in a way that aligned with how my brain thinks. Apply the engineering/math/logic side to these numbers and optimization of them, and as long as you can take the emotion out of it (payoff your mortgage vs. invest your extra cash) the decisions are so tremendously easy to make. It just took my exposure to the MMM side of it for a lightbulb to go off in my head to realize I didn't NEED to work until I was 70 if I wanted to live a comfortable retirement.

Doing thinks like maximizing your credit card debt to profit from credit card rewards and points, not paying off debt if you can maximize earnings in more profitable areas(such as the historic 10% yields of the stock market), tax optimization with how funds are diversified/withdrawn (backdoor roth), understanding compound interest (no raining day/emergency fund), knowing how to withdraw from your retirement accounts without penalty in your 30s or 40s, and ultimately realizing people like Dave Ramsey are/should be geared toward people who can't wrap their heads around the idea to spend less than you make; that was the major takeaways of the MMM stuff.

My attempt was to confirm exactly what your original post was conveying. Sorry for going off the rails!

@neffa3 , i'm right there with you and agree that him being a tightwad after hitting the 'finish line' wasn't cool. The self-insurance stuff and only cut your own hair types of stuff probably ostracized more people than it could have helped.

I agree 100%. I apologize for the evangelical energy (if you perceived any 🤷‍♂️
) surrounding this. I think my enthuisiasm was because the MMM stuff (among others like JL Collins, etc.) was a source of how I became bought into the ideas you presented in your original post and then this one quoted above, and how they were presented in a way that aligned with how my brain thinks. Apply the engineering/math/logic side to these numbers and optimization of them, and as long as you can take the emotion out of it (payoff your mortgage vs. invest your extra cash) the decisions are so tremendously easy to make. It just took my exposure to the MMM side of it for a lightbulb to go off in my head to realize I didn't NEED to work until I was 70 if I wanted to live a comfortable retirement.

Doing thinks like maximizing your credit card debt to profit from credit card rewards and points, not paying off debt if you can maximize earnings in more profitable areas(such as the historic 10% yields of the stock market), tax optimization with how funds are diversified/withdrawn (backdoor roth), understanding compound interest (no raining day/emergency fund), knowing how to withdraw from your retirement accounts without penalty in your 30s or 40s, and ultimately realizing people like Dave Ramsey are/should be geared toward people who can't wrap their heads around the idea to spend less than you make; that was the major takeaways of the MMM stuff.

My attempt was to confirm exactly what your original post was conveying. Sorry for going off the rails!

@neffa3 , i'm right there with you and agree that him being a tightwad after hitting the 'finish line' wasn't cool. The self-insurance stuff and only cut your own hair types of stuff probably ostracized more people than it could have helped.
Not at all off the rails. And I agree that underneath the rhetoric of some of these finance guru folks are the grains of truth that you point out. And if they get folks to think it through as you have, and if folks don't swallow the full extremes of some of their points, then I suppose in the end they serve a good purpose.

Never heard of the MMM guy, but in general, yeah, a lot of folks do waste a lot of money on Starbucks, lunch out every day, etc.

But, in the end, life is to be lived. Sure, save enough for a comfy retirement, but not spend money on hunting , fishing, vacations, and a few nice things for your family? That's just weird.

Nostalgie de la boue per Tom Wolfe via an 18th century French poet.
1683739776752.png

VTI
BND

That pair gets you “all” stocks and “all” bonds in US. Pick the risk/age appropriate ratio (hard to go wrong with 65-35) between them and you have the mathmatically proven optimal portfolio. There really is no strong basis for any others - but there are a few others I still like such as:

VIG or VYM for dividend chasers
VOO for S&P500 tracking
VOOV for S&P500 “value” stocks
No international?

No international?
In the past I have taken the fact that 30+% of revenues from S&P500 is generated ex-US so a fair percentage of VTI or VOO price is affected by the international economy. A loose proxy for sure, but since we are not trying to pick winners and losers, but rather floating with the whole market/economy I am comfortable not adding international funds seperately. But when I do add intl funds, I am mindful of the part of my US-based portfolio that is already exposed to ex-US cycles so I don't overload intl. One can get more granular, but not sure it changes the overall success rate.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back