Yet another chance to to tell CPW what they want to hear: Big Game Season Structure Survey

elkduds

Yes, must register or log in to take survey.

FFS will boomers stop whining and trying to create pyramid schemes. Leave the MSG draw alone.

can we put this on every billboard in the state?

they'd probably actually see the message that way

maybe if we write it in the sky with planes, i dunno.

But but how are they suppose to draw their 3rd sheep tag? Or how about they saved points for xx number of years and the system changes aren't fair?
View attachment 267760

Irony being if the boomers got the changes they want they'd basically eliminate any odds of drawing a second sheep tag.

every time they see a 3+1 drawing when they have 3+21 they go into unstoppable boomer rage

i think @Oak did the math somewhere to prove though that you still have massively better odds in the current system with lots of bonus points. because the current claims by the those that want changes are that you don't actually have better odds with your 21 bonus points because how could you when a 3+1 one drew and you didn't? certainly a lazy and entitled view if you ask me

best system in the west IMO

Irony being if the boomers got the changes they want they'd basically eliminate any odds of drawing a second sheep tag.

every time they see a 3+1 drawing when they have 3+21 they go into unstoppable boomer rage

i think @Oak did the math somewhere to prove though that you still have massively better odds in the current system with lots of bonus points. because the current claims by the those that want changes are that you don't actually have better odds with your 21 bonus points because how could you when a 3+1 one drew and you didn't? certainly a lazy and entitled view if you ask me

best system in the west IMO
Yeah to be clear they don't understand math... hence buying bear points, and want the whole system preference points. Which in reality will benefit like 50 people at the top.

I agree, the MSG system really is the best point system in the country.

FFS will boomers stop whining and trying to create pyramid schemes. Leave the MSG draw alone.
I wish there would have been ‘freestyle’ comments available for that one. It works, the math is for all effective purposes the same as true bonus points. Most people are never going to draw MSG in their lifetime no matter what scheme is deployed, and it's demonstrably true that folks with more weighted points draw tags at higher rates.

Statistics and probability are hard.

If I could go back 24 years, I'd have a hard chat with the guy that came up with the 'tile reversal/divisor' model. While the math is commendable and all, and
I have to imagine that was the only method the draw technology at the time could accommodate, it's just so much harder from a PR perspective to explain that system to 'consumers' instead of 'extra ticket in the hat every year' that you end up here - with the handful of applicants with 20+ weighted points getting riled to the point where we all get survey questions trying to change something that isn't broken.

i think @Oak did the math somewhere to prove though that you still have massively better odds in the current system with more bonus points. because the current claims by the those that want changes are that you don't actually have better odds with your 21 bonus points because how could you when a 3+1 one drew and you didn't.

best system in the west if you ask me.

I think @Sandbrew may have a link. It used to be on WSF's page, but the link I had is dead.

Here is a link to the most recent HT thread discussing it and he shares links in post 15: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/do-colorado-weighted-points-make-a-difference.307366/

I wish there would have been ‘freestyle’ comments available for that one. It works, the math is for all effective purposes the same as true bonus points. Most people are never going to draw MSG in their lifetime no matter what scheme is deployed, and it's demonstrably true that folks with more weighted points draw tags at higher rates.

Statistics and probability are hard.

If I could go back 24 years, I'd have a hard chat with the guy that came up with the 'tile reversal/divisor' model. While the math is commendable and all, and
I have to imagine that was the only method the draw technology at the time could accommodate, it's just so much harder from a PR perspective to explain that system to 'consumers' instead of 'extra ticket in the hat every year' that you end up here - with the handful of applicants with 20+ weighted points getting riled to the point where we all get survey questions trying to change something that isn't broken.

I think @Sandbrew may have a link. It used to be on WSF's page, but the link I had is dead.

Here is a link to the most recent HT thread discussing it and he shares links in post 15: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/do-colorado-weighted-points-make-a-difference.307366/
But I know this guy that drew with 3+1.

It's all rigged, the Polis liberals are just giving tags to those green decoys for instagram so they can promote their agenda of ending hunting with wolves.

Hillary came up with the whole thing in the 90s, wolves and guns. Just coming for our heritage.

1678378694159.png

*These comments are meant to be humorous, if you got offended well just remember I eat avocado toast, spend too much on lattes, and am inherently lazy*

Last edited:
I haven't taken the survey yet. What specifically does this comment reference?

I wish they would put their survey questions in a document that allowed you to see everything you are going to be asked before you start the survey. Then you could really think about and prepare your answers, and write meaningful responses if given the opportunity, before you start.

The pyramid scheme folks need to watch this.

I wish they would put their survey questions in a document that allowed you to see everything you are going to be asked before you start the survey. Then you could really think about and prepare your answers, and write meaningful responses if given the opportunity, before you start.

The pyramid scheme folks need to watch this.
There is a question that asks if the MSG system should be changed to increase folks with points odds.

and my apologies I'm just new dad cranky ;)

Last question was (pasted from my email confirmation with answers):

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 9.50.13 AM.png

I wish they would just burn the whole system down, scorched earth style are go back to 100% random odds.

I know it is not ever going to happen, but nearly my entire adult life all I have heard about is horrible point creep and more.

I wish they took comments as I would have loved that ability…

between the new rifle dates and the CWD stuff the deeer have been destroyed.

I am surprised they did not ask opinions on deer. Almost like they are going to bother managing for deer any longer, only the elk matter… (said tongue in Cheek) but it is disturbing…

I wish they would just burn the whole system down, scorched earth style are go back to 100% random odds.

I know it is not ever going to happen, but nearly my entire adult life all I have heard about is horrible point creep and more.
It will never happen, because hunters believe its their right to get tags if they applied longer. I mean they've dreamed about it longer, wanted it longer and filled out that application longer, and paid their fees... they DESERVE a tag, damnit!

None of them can handle the fact that some snot nosed kid or someone who just moved to the state can draw a tag the first time. They won't appreciate it, or they don't deserve it. Its jealousy, nothing more, and hunters are the most selfish group of people on the planet.

I wish they took comments as I would have loved that ability…

between the new rifle dates and the CWD stuff the deeer have been destroyed.

I am surprised they did not ask opinions on deer. Almost like they are going to bother managing for deer any longer, only the elk matter… (said tongue in Cheek) but it is disturbing…
There are deer questions in the season structure part, I think whether deer should be included in 1st rifle season.

There are deer questions in the season structure part, I think whether deer should be included in 1st rifle season.

there were also questions about whether rifle seasons should go back to the previous season structure (16-20). which, depending on the person can be a deer question if you're concerned about too much rut harvest, i know i am.

i don't know where in the hell this 1st rifle deer thing came from

and wasn't there something about eliminating 4th rifle elk?

sometimes it just feels like cpw thinks that if they ask us enough really random confusing questions about new seasons, old seasons, and eliminating seasons we'll get confused and forget about what is actually real and current then feel super happy like they did something when they did nothing.

Last edited:
Quite a few of the questions referenced deer, including season structure preferences.

To Oak's point about not being able to see the questions beforehand, for everyone that wants a preview before taking the survey (and everyone that hunts or wants to hunt in CO should take the survey) - here they are (I copied them from the confirmation email after I filled it out)

Notes:

• I removed my individual responses as I don't think they are relevant
  • I put the multiple-choice options in the order they appear on the survey
  • For the 'support' questions, the options were 'strongly support', 'moderately support', 'neutral', 'moderately oppose', 'strongly oppose':
  • The Hyperlinks don't work anymore, but they are accessible from the survey directly and gave what I felt were good, easily understandable breakdowns of the previous season structures
  • I may be missing a category/bracket in the 'how long have you been applying for MSG' question, but those brackets are directionally correct

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 11.53.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 11.59.52 AM.png

Quite a few of the questions referenced deer, including season structure preferences.

To Oak's point about not being able to see the questions beforehand, for everyone that wants a preview before taking the survey (and everyone that hunts or wants to hunt in CO should take the survey) - here they are (I copied them from the confirmation email after I filled it out)

Notes:

• I removed my individual responses as I don't think they are relevant
  • I put the multiple-choice options in the order they appear on the survey
  • For the 'support' questions, the options were 'strongly support', 'moderately support', 'neutral', 'moderately oppose', 'strongly oppose':
  • The Hyperlinks don't work anymore, but they are accessible from the survey directly and gave what I felt were good, easily understandable breakdowns of the previous season structures
  • I may be missing a category/bracket in the 'how long have you been applying for MSG' question, but those brackets are directionally correct

View attachment 267792

View attachment 267794
Thanks. That's not as long as I thought it was going to be.

There are links to the linked tables on the right side of the main survey page posted in the OP.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back