Yellowstone wolf population is declining

HankFrank

My girlfriend is pretty involved with the wolves in the park. Most of these numbers come down to pups. Every year there is a spike in May when they're born and then that number declines from dispersion or pup deaths until the next May. You can get whatever wolf numbers you want depending on what time of year you decide to count

oswald2581

My girlfriend is pretty involved with the wolves in the park. Most of these numbers come down to pups. Every year there is a spike in May when they're born and then that number declines from dispersion or pup deaths until the next May. You can get whatever wolf numbers you want depending on what time of year you decide to count
Agree, although there is 80 in Yellowstone Park at the time of the count, how many are in the surrounding GYE area total. Populations may fluctuate, but they are here to stay and not going anywhere.

HankFrank

Agree, although there is 80 in Yellowstone Park at the time of the count, how many are in the surrounding GYE area total. Populations may fluctuate, but they are here to stay and not going anywhere.
Just 3 days ago they spotted 7 pups. The numbers were so low because there were no pup sightings in yet. No surprise wolves are good at hiding.

JLS

You can get whatever wolf numbers you want depending on what time of year you decide to count
You can, that is why it's important to compare counts taken at the same/very similar times. Then, you get accurate depiction of things like litter sizes, pup survival, overwinter adult survival, etc. Same with ungulates.

wyoboypt

Funny, but that's not what folks that have been there this spring are saying. I wonder how that could be?
The last time I went (a couple years ago, maybe 3) I was disappointed that I wasted time and money doing it. I can see just as many or more animals in Teton, for free!