Yellowstone Elk

Yep. Couldn't pay me enough to be a bio in Montana. Hats off to those that are.

Yeah, not being allowed to practice biology, as a biologist, has got to be tough. A person can only pretend for so long before it just becomes a paycheck.

Or not. Of course, nabobs of negativity certainly hold sway on the 'net.

How much experience do you have hunting in Montana over the years, or in lieu of that, experience working with and within FWP?

WE are blessed to have some Bio's that really care. Buzz has to remember that the management of our game herds has been dictated by Landowners, and the legislature. Bio's have serious sideboards attached to what they can do and must do. It's between a rock and a granite wall how they are suppose to manage. This is why so many of the old guard left recently.

And so do some of the rest of us. I don't automatically adopt "cynicism" as your somewhat patronizing comment would indicate.

Or not. Of course, nabobs of negativity certainly hold sway on the 'net.

In fact, I really detest it when it's the norm. However, based upon my life experiences and observations, I feel it is much more of the truth in this instance.

Carry on.

Yeah, not being allowed to practice biology, as a biologist, has got to be tough. A person can only pretend for so long before it just becomes a paycheck.
Doing work like this would be rewarding.

0_BHS HD 302 2017 annual report.pdf

Putting up with obnoxious blowhards would get old.

Attachments

• 0_BHS HD 302 2017 annual report.pdf
    571.3 KB · Views: 39

I saw some of these sheep a few years ago in the Moose Creek/Indian Creek area.

Thanks for the link. I was wondering how that transplant worked. I hope those sheep thrive there in Indian Creek. Lots of good habitat for them.

I fear that the LO near the mouth of the creek may be the type to get some domestic sheep just to spite the F&G's efforts and kill off the sheep.

Thanks for the link. I was wondering how that transplant worked. I hope those sheep thrive there in Indian Creek. Lots of good habitat for them.

I fear that the LO near the mouth of the creek may be the type to get some domestic sheep just to spite the F&G's efforts and kill off the sheep.
Reading the report and listen to Dr Garrott's presentation, I understand that all the neighboring landowners have been very enthusiastic about the transplant. Biggest issue is mortality and that is likely due to sheep learning how best to utilize a new area. Predation has been mostly from mountain lions.

Reading the report and listen to Dr Garrott's presentation, I understand that all the neighboring landowners have been very enthusiastic about the transplant. Biggest issue is mortality and that is likely due to sheep learning how best to utilize a new area. Predation has been mostly from mountain lions.
Hmmmm ... 'wonder how that will impact the Yellowstone Elk?

MSU has also done some very cool work identifying suitable summer and winter range areas in the Madison range. Can't find a link at this time. Keep an eye on the work that is coming from there. Impressive!

I have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with many wildlife biologists in a handful of western states. I can honestly say that the vast majority of them are good people that care about what they are doing and the wildlife that they are managing. Montana is no exception, and I wouldn't hesitate to say that we have some great biologist working for FWP. Unfortunately for them and all of us, they are often heavily constrained on what they can do. I don't agree with many of the choices FWP makes, but to blame the biologists is not at all accurate. Despite my love for Montana, if I was a biologist looking for a job, FWP would be low on my list.

Elk Brucellosis study SW Montana

Sheep disease study/transplant Breaks to Big Belts

Gallatin Canyon sheep study

Crazy Mountains goat disease study

SE Oregon Sheep

Montana Wolf

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137