MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Year of the pronghorn

ashersdad

We have had more pronghorn action this year than I thought possible.

I knew my oldest had enough points to draw a youth tag here in Oregon. I wanted my youngest to get an opportunity too so my twin brother agreed to put in as a party with just him when I found a unit in Wyoming that they could draw with their combined points. I knew the Wyoming unit would be difficult as it came with the warning,

“There is widespread access to public land throughout most of this hunt area, however, most pronghorn in this hunt area are located on private lands and sagebrush dominated foothills. Access to private lands can be difficult.“

I put myself and my oldest in for the same unit separately and wouldn’t you know it, my oldest drew in the random pool. He also lucked out and drew a Utah tag.

So no tags for dear ol Dad but my oldest had 3 tags and my youngest and my twin brother both got their Wyoming tags. It was going to be a busy year.

We started out in Oregon and it was a tough hunt. We had some blown opportunities and on the last morning my son pulled an Uncle Larry and shot the wrong buck coming into a water hole (no offense to Uncle Larry by the reference, we all love him). My son was excited to get his first antelope and still had 2 more tags.
1600035668655.jpeg
On the Wyoming hunt I was only able to e-scout but did find a piece of public that required a 2 mile hike in and looked promising. Long story short, it worked and both boys got their goats on opening day and my brother got his the following morning.
1600035747113.jpeg
1600035859433.jpeg
1600035939001.jpegThat gave us time to rush back to Utah for the opener. Another long story short, after a miss and a 3 mile hike Asher was able to connect on a great buck.
1600036038800.jpeg

We are so excited to have so much great antelope meat!!

Wow! What an epic year you guys have had already. To be able to hunt that much, and do it with your boys must be the absolute best.

Great year for sure … a lot of good memories created. Congratulations to all the successful hunters.

Back