Wyoming Unit 66

Nick28

My dad and I were lucky enough to draw a couple antelope tags for unit 66. I was just curious if anyone knows anything about the "One Shot Challenge". After doing some research it seems like that may bring some extra hunting pressure into the unit. It looks like they give out some tags for that, so if this is true, what is the hunting pressure like there and do the tags they give out during that last the entire season? My last question is what should our expectations be heading into this hunt? Is there a strong possibility of getting a goat over 75 or 80 inches or is that just not realistic? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I wouldn't overthink it. Go when it works for you and have fun. I doubt the One Shot will make any noticeable difference.

That's a primo unit. Access is as easy as falling out of the truck. Just take your time to scope a few different bucks then go after the ones you want.

Like bts09 mentioned, access is fantastic and be sure to take your time and look over a lot of bucks before determining which ones to go after. I hunted unit 68 two years ago and took my antelope to a butcher in Riverton. While driving around the area I saw a giant buck in 66 and that was two weeks into the season. You'll have a blast, literally!

Thanks for the input guys. Really looking forward to the hunt, we got very lucky with this tag. Hoping to get a couple really nice bucks on the ground!

I hunted a unit that borders 66 a couple years ago. We saw plenty of bucks including some good ones across the boundary in 66 and this was a few weeks into the season well after the one shot contest. There's a ton of public in that unit so shouldn't be an issue to find goats. If nothing has changed 75 incher is very doable with the real potential to find something bigger.

Have fun and enjoy and look over a bunch. Forget about the one shot challenge.

Would be really cool to harvest a 75 inch or bigger goat. I'm not all about score but we always want to try to get the biggest animal we can for the certain area we are hunting and if that animal scores well, that's just icing on the cake. Dad's really looking forward to it, he doesn't believe me when i say that we will be looking over a lot of goats. He thinks we will struggle to find a buck, he will be in for a great surprise.

My dad and I were lucky enough to draw a couple antelope tags for unit 66. I was just curious if anyone knows anything about the "One Shot Challenge". After doing some research it seems like that may bring some extra hunting pressure into the unit. It looks like they give out some tags for that, so if this is true, what is the hunting pressure like there and do the tags they give out during that last the entire season? My last question is what should our expectations be heading into this hunt? Is there a strong possibility of getting a goat over 75 or 80 inches or is that just not realistic? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

One Shot really only impacts the first couple days...You will see a lot of bucks, but not a lot of big bucks.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back