Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY one shot pronghorn hunt...circling the drain

BuzzH

They say timing is everything, bad timing for Hickenlooper and the one shot hunt.

Looks like he's being called out for participating in the one shot hunt, which is a big disgrace in so many ways. As has been discussed on this board and in a podcast that Jeff and I did with Randy, this "hunts" shelf life is over. Its been rotten for years, time to take out the trash.

Interestingly enough, for the first time since I've been involved in WY issues, the WYGF commission is set this Friday to approve "up to" 80 tags for this joke of a hunt. Many repeat "hunters" get tags every year in the "past shooters club", in some of the premier areas in the State for pronghorn. The tags they are issued do not count against their other chances to secure and hunt other tags. They can also accrue preference points while getting to hunt other premier areas. Further, this a good old boys club, no women are allowed to participate. I always thought hunting was supposed to be INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE.

I'm going to testify against this hunt to the commission and recommend they only approve 24 tags for the hunt and NONE for the past shooters club.

If anyone is so inclined, you can email the commission here:

Meeting information for this Thursday and Friday:

There are links provided for both Thursday and Friday via zoom (each day has a separate zoom invite) you have to register to get the invite number.

Maybe this latest development will finally put the nail in the coffin of this thing.

I've followed this for a handful of years now. Please keep us updated on any developments.

I didn't know about this until I heard it on WPR. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

They hunt unit 65 correct? See @BuzzH 's break down.

NR Random draw- 4 tags
NR Special draw -2 tags
NR reg draw - 12
NR reg draw special -9

Total NR =27
Total Resident 86

80 tags for one shot... Holy WTF

Can you imagine the brouhaha if anyone in any state for any species tried to create a contest in a 7pt unit where they gave half the tags to "famous people.

"Just out of CO, western governors and cool people they are friends with, are going to get half the tags in unit 76 to archery hunt elk.
Also it's men only... and we are going to culturally appropriate everything we possibly can from Native Americans." 🤦‍♂️

One shot needs to come to and end, the whole thing is just shooting all kinds of holes in our boat.

Last edited:
They hunt unit 65 correct?

NR Random draw- 4 tags
NR Special draw -2 tags
NR reg draw - 12
NR reg draw special -9

Total NR =27
Total Resident 86

80 tags for one shot... Holy WTF

Can you imagine the brouhaha if anyone in any state for any species tried to create a contest in a 7pt unit where they gave half the tags to "famous people.

"Just out of CO, western governors and cool people they are friends with, are going to get half the tags in unit 76 to archery hunt elk.
Also it's men only... and we are going to culturally appropriate everything we possibly can from Native Americans." 🤦‍♂️

One shot needs to come to and end, the whole thing is just shooting all kinds of holes in our boat.

Here's the breakdown by the Department on the tag allocations they (commission) will consider this Friday for the one shot hunt, I have it on pdf.

unit 65 10 tags
unit 66 9 tags
unit 67 17 tags
unit 68 31 tags
unit 106 13 tags

These are all top tier trophy units in central Wyoming with gobs of public land, some of the most desirable pronghorn tags in the State.

My Dad has hunted 68 as a NR, and this year with 7 points he couldn't have drawn in the regular draw, IIRC.

I also have a list of all the hunters that have participated from 2008-2018 and there are names that come up EVERY year for receiving tags, more that show up 5 times or more.

Last edited:
Maybe I will bring my wife and son as well. We all applied for 106 and none of us drew. Youngest son did. See if the Comms will look them in the eye and tell them that D list celebrities and politicians are more deserving of that tag than they are.

I signed up for a virtual time, but if I can swing it, I'd rather be there in person. Hopefully see you there.

I signed up for a virtual time, but if I can swing it, I'd rather be there in person. Hopefully see you there.
Pretty easy drive for me and only a few hours of vacation time. If you make it in person, safe travels.

Has there ever been a proposal to shift the location of the hunt to an area with more abundant tag opportunities? Such as say where the Woman's one shot is?

No, and the womens hunt is not a "one shot" hunt.

IMO, no state allocated resource/tags should be used for exclusive hunts, period. Draw your tags through the draw and have your hunt, but don't ask the public to give you tags for your hunt.

IMO, no state allocated resource/tags should be used for exclusive hunts, period. Draw your tags through the draw and have your hunt, but don't ask the public to give you tags for your hunt.
Pretty sad state of affairs when Veterans have to solicit donations of tags on the internet but these participants are given choice tags. For what reason? Because they were democratically voted into office, a lobbyist or appeared as Burglar #2 on an episode of Magnum PI.

Pretty sad state of affairs when Veterans have to solicit donations of tags on the internet but these participants are given choice tags. For what reason? Because they were democratically voted into office, a lobbyist or appeared as Burglar #2 on an episode of Magnum PI.

Or have a popular hunting podcast and show... Team CO 2017 ;)

No, and the womens hunt is not a "one shot" hunt.

Yes I get that but I was just referring to the location (abundance of tags in that unit) rather than the comparison of the two hunts. If the Men's One Shot was moved to that exact same unit, the concept of politicians being entitled rare tags goes away.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back