Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY one shot pronghorn hunt...circling the drain

Back to the article you posted-Regardless of the hunt circumstances (which are ridiculous), if the Shoshone tribal elders put the headers on him then the rest of the 'offended' folks need to back off, it's the Shoshones' headdress to give and no one else's, especially not people like this: "Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, an Indigenous climate activist and hip hop artist from Boulder, signed the letter and is circulating it online." Virtue signaling is getting very long in the tooth.

The hunt is past its prime and so is Hickenlooper, both should be relegated to the history books...
The Shoshone participants in the One Shot are merely acting as a concession, it is in no way a tribal event. Proof of that is the presence of alcoholic beverages which are not allowed at any tribal events.

The hunt is truly past it's prime!

Hey Luke do some google and reading. This article explains the headdress use and how the tribal council is against it.

Seems just the native americans that get paid for the hunt ceremony participation are the only ones for it.

A couple of things caught my attention-
1. It was stated in one of the posted articles that each participant in the hunt pays $1600... I wonder if that's true and if its the 24 who actually participate in the One Shot Hunt if it is for all 80 tags? If the extra 56 tags are just given away, that would be an extra rake!
2. On the One Shot website it states that if you are in the Past Shooter's Club you are entitled to one of the extra 56 tags if you're not participating in the hunt... unless you don't want it- then you can GIVE it to someone else. :oops:

The whole thing stinks. And this is without mentioning all the other unsavory aspects such as cultural/racial and gender insensitivity, et cetera.

I emailed all of the commissioners as well.

The Shoshone participants in the One Shot are merely acting as a concession, it is in no way a tribal event. Proof of that is the presence of alcoholic beverages which are not allowed at any tribal events.

The hunt is truly past it's prime!

Yeah I get that, it's annoying that the guy with the indigenous Mexican ancestry is more outraged than the Shoshone tribe themselves are, if they really are at all...But regardless, after reading the article I believe the mock outrage from activists about Hickenlooper's involvement is/was a political hit by his opponent (that didn't work, btw) and a huge distraction that is only going to muddy the water for folks opposing the hunt.

Here's the breakdown by the Department on the tag allocations they (commission) will consider this Friday for the one shot hunt, I have it on pdf.

unit 65 10 tags
unit 66 9 tags
unit 67 17 tags
unit 68 31 tags
unit 106 13 tags

These are all top tier trophy units in central Wyoming with gobs of public land, some of the most desirable pronghorn tags in the State.

My Dad has hunted 68 as a NR, and this year with 7 points he couldn't have drawn in the regular draw, IIRC.

I also have a list of all the hunters that have participated from 2008-2018 and there are names that come up EVERY year for receiving tags, more that show up 5 times or more.
Thanks for your work on this Buzz. Is this list of shooters that return annually public record so that you could share it?

I'm in no position to speak about the hunt or its allocation of tags, but I'd be careful in celebrating any part of "cancel culture". You never know when it'll come for you next.

Last edited:
Doesn't pertain much to contacting Wyo F&G about a ridiculous allotment of tags in quality units that circumvents the process that everyone else adheres to, and the nature of the group making it a contest.

I'm in no position to speak about the hunt or its allocation of tags, but I'd be careful in celebrating any part of "cancel culture". You never know when it'll come for you next.

I kinda get what your saying because some things about cancel culture have gotten ridiculous, but we can't fear moving on from bad choices in the past for fear of supporting "cancel culture" either. A lot of things are long overdue for change. Besides, sometimes we all need to change. Some people are certainly very resistant to any kind of change though, and it seems like that tendency is increasing in certain groups of people, and that those people love the slippery slope argument to justify their feelings against said change.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm tired.

BuzzH and JM77 were trying to “cancel” this robbery of tags before cancel culture was even a thing. The optics of the insensitivity of hunt participants is merely added fuel to an already raging fire.

I still don't understand what actually happens in the one shot event? The article itself from an outsider's perspective seems more focused on the bloke they're trying to run down and not the event itself.

I still don't understand what actually happens in the one shot event? The article itself from an outsider's perspective seems more focused on the bloke they're trying to run down and not the event itself.

Like I said above, the water has been muddied, they are almost two completely separate things. First is the hunt itself and the (mis)appropriation of tags used to conduct the hunt (listen to Randy's podcast discussion from several years ago in regard to it), and the second issue is the topics discussed in the article Buzz put up in the first post-indigenous people, headdresses, cancel culture, politics in a Colorado senate race, etc...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back