Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Unit 102 Antelope Questions

Shyboomer

My dad and I put in for a non-resident Wyoming Unit 102 Antelope hunt. We drew the tags (100% draw buck tag and two doe tags each) I have done quite a bit of reading and I know that much of the land is private and a lot of public land is landlocked. I will call the area biologist in a few weeks and search out any information from them. Can anyone give me any direction on accessible areas of the unit on public land? This trip will be a once in a lifetime shot for my dad so I want to gather as much info as I can before heading over.

The Bighorn Mts. make up a large part of the western side of the unit. Are there antelope hunting opportunities (as well as accessibility) in the foothills? Anyone have any directions (road systems) they would be willing to give?

Any other directional advice for the unit for walk in public access?

Would bringing a 4 wheeler be of assistance to get into areas?

Are there any landowners that publicly list their land as accessible?

Thanks in advance

Try the Hunt Planner on the WY Fish and Game website. You can find most of the info you are looking for there. Wouldn’t hurt to call the warden either if you have any specific questions.

Get OnX for your smart phone and go on the county website that your unit is located in and find the map of public roads. There are lots of roads in WY and many are private. They don’t mess around out there if you end up where you shouldn’t be - I didn’t know likely will not help you.

Try the Hunt Planner on the WY Fish and Game website. You can find most of the info you are looking for there. Wouldn’t hurt to call the warden either if you have any specific questions.

Get OnX for your smart phone and go on the county website that your unit is located in and find the map of public roads. There are lots of roads in WY and many are private. They don’t mess around out there if you end up where you shouldn’t be - I didn’t know likely will not help you.
I really appreciate your insight. Ive been on the hunt planner and downloaded OnX maps. Didn’t cross my mind to go to county website to look at road maps. Thank you!!

I really appreciate your insight. Ive been on the hunt planner and downloaded OnX maps. Didn’t cross my mind to go to county website to look at road maps. Thank you!!

The only way to be sure which roads are public and private is via the county. Most of the counties have what’s called a road and bridge department out there. You can call them to verify public vs. private if you are unsure. You can try their website for maps and/or a GIS.

Disclaimer: I’ve only tried the above once and they were helpful.

The only way to be sure which roads are public and private is via the county. Most of the counties have what’s called a road and bridge department out there. You can call them to verify public vs. private if you are unsure. You can try their website for maps and/or a GIS.

Disclaimer: I’ve only tried the above once and they were helpful.
The hunt planner map shows only public lands I believe. That being said, I would definitely get county maps to verify.

Lots of hiking but we hunted that unit last year and were 6 for 6. OnX maps are important because there are fences that are in fields that would make it look private when it’s not. Idaho Wyoming allows for ranchers to use neighboring state land for their cattle to graze.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back