Wyoming public land expanding access!!

So I’m m gonna play devils advocate.

#1 I’m not from Wyoming so take that for what my 2 cents for what they’re worth.

But, giving up landlocked federal lands in order to get accessible lands doesn’t seem awful. Also he’s opening the door for a hell of a legal battle by saying he wants to keep the federal grounds equal. If that’s what they end up fighting for in court and winning, then it opens up the door to every time any federal lands are traded or sold they must be replaced. So in essence, he’s opening himself up to get hammered on the backside. It could be used in many different ways, not just acres, or dollars. If they sold XYZ federal building in Cheyenne that sat on 1/4 acre for $500,000. If played right they would have to buy something else here, hopefully for the dollars, not acres. It’ll take lawyers and time. But…

I love politicians. They’ll take enough rope to hang themselves every time. Don’t fight the tiny battles with these people, let them fight themselves into a corner and win the big ones.

Wyoming's economy is inextricably linked to the Federal Gov't and public lands, which comprise roughly 50% of the state. I can see where some western politicians are coming from in regards to wanting to ensure that private to public stands as it is, especially if you are in county gov't, and especially given how volatile PILT has been in the past and likely will be n the future.

The death of coal is causing huge problems for city, state and county gov'ts in WY as they look at ways to modernize their economic situation (after having ignored the problem for decades), then you add in the volatility of the oil & gas markets, boom & bust cycles and so many other issues relative to low wages in a tourism economy, etc and you can see why the push for no net gain looks attractive on it's face.

Wyoming is running a budget surplus right now, due to federal spending & the massive cash infusion from covid relief, the infrastructure bill, etc. The same politicians who are lambasting the federal gov't for everything else are showing up for photo ops at ground-breaking ceremonies, taking credit for rural broadband expansion, etc.

If Gordon was serious about this, then he could nominate parcels for disposal under FLPMA, if I remember that correctly. If he's just posturing then he issues a press release & does nothing but kvetch.

Last edited:
I used to fish that stretch of river a lot. We were bound by boats or to the few access sites that were available. The Marton's wanting to make this sale is a huge deal. Sad to see Gordon go down that route.
Governor Gordon, Liz Cheney, John Barrasso and Cinthia Lummis are against the sale, and if the sale goes through, they want BLM to sell off an equal amount of BLM land to private (ranchers) individuals.

Never vote a rancher into politics in this state. They look out for ranchers and what they can benefit from... period.

@rwc101 seriously. The state gave the US Malcolm Wallop, Alan Simpson, Gov Ed Herschler, Matt Mead, etc. - And the best name in politics ever - Teno Roncalio

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back