Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming public land expanding access!!

I used to fish that stretch of river a lot. We were bound by boats or to the few access sites that were available. The Marton's wanting to make this sale is a huge deal. Sad to see Gordon go down that route.
To file a grievance over a measly 10k in annual taxes is ridiculous. This is a once in a generation acquisition.

so who in the know knows? does this lawsuit have any chance at anything?

or is it largely just political pandering?

Per the article, the county gets $10,300 of property taxes due to the agricultural exclusion filed. Last appropriation period, Wyoming got $1.72 per acre from the BLM for PILT (Payment In Lieu of Taxes) payments. So, applying my 35 years of CPA experience to this very complicated calculation (full sarcasm), it works as follows:

35,670 acres x $1.72/acre = $61,352 of PILT payments that would be received as a replacement for property taxes.

Currently, the landowner pays $10,300.

So, Governor Gordon would like to receive $10,300 rather than $61,352 to justify his bullshit narrative that Federal land purchases hurt county tax rolls. About what I figured, as we get the same bullshit math tricks floated here in Montana.

One time I walked a County Commissioner and a Legislator through a very similar problem, something they found akin to differential equations, only to be told, "You don't understand." My reply, "Ok, what don't I understand?" Their reply, "Well, you just don't understand." I shook my head and walked away, vowing to never again apply second grade math to political math.

I suspect Governor Gordon is hauling someone's water on this and he is willing to cost the citizens of his state/county $50,000 per year to support his mathematical myths that are really based on personal ideology. And in the process deny citizens access to 75,000 acres of inaccessible lands.

Damn Idgits!

Per the article, the county gets $10,300 of property taxes due to the agricultural exclusion filed. Last appropriation period, Wyoming got $1.72 per acre from the BLM for PILT (Payment In Lieu of Taxes) payments. So, applying my 35 years of CPA experience to this very complicated calculation (full sarcasm), it works as follows:

35,670 acres x $1.72/acre = $61,352 of PILT payments that would be received as a replacement for property taxes.

So, Governor Gordon would like to receive $10,300 rather than $61,352 to justify his bullshit narrative that Federal land purchases hurt county tax rolls. About what I figured, as we get the same bullshit math tricks floated here in Montana.

One time I walked a County Commissioner and a Legislator through a very similar problem, something they found akin to differential equations, only to be told, "You don't understand." My reply, "Ok, what don't I understand?" Their reply, "Well, you just don't understand." I shook my head and walked away, vowing to never again apply second grade math to political math.

I suspect Governor Gordon is hauling someone's water on this and he is willing to cost the citizens of his state/county $50,000 per year to support his mathematical myths that are really based on personal ideology. And in the process deny citizens access to 75,000 acres of inaccessible lands.

Damn Idgits!
Sounds like the making of a very brief and effective letter to the editor. "Sincerely, Anonymous Elementary School Math Teacher"

Damn

To file a grievance over a measly 10k in annual taxes is ridiculous. This is a once in a generation acquisition.
IMO the guides/outfitters assoc got to him. Right now they have a lot of control since much of that has to be accessed from upstream by driftboat. Once opened to public there won't be as much of a need for guided fishing along there. Another case of WGOA too big for their britches... and crooked politicians.

IMO the guides/outfitters assoc got to him. Right now they have a lot of control since much of that has to be accessed from upstream by driftboat. Once opened to public there won't be as much of a need for guided fishing along there. Another case of WGOA too big for their britches... and crooked politicians.
The fishing guides are not regulated under the board right now. Our governor is not a leader. He tilts whichever way the wind blows. IMO he is trying to emphasize the separation between the state and the Federal government, unlike how he handled COVID. All politics, but he missed the point on this one!

I thought about contacting Ole Gordon, and pointing out his failures at math, but figured as a WA resident that don't really mean shit. I hope you WY res' let him have it though!

are you sure there will be a better choice?
Better than a phony, lying, malleable wimp wearing an Indian blanket sport coat that shows open contempt for the people he works for? Well, that remains to be seen. But do you ever really know if a person will be better? I do know that if I vote for the same, I can expect the same. In my view that’s what gets us the ineffectual fools we see today.

Better than a phony, lying, malleable wimp wearing an Indian blanket sport coat that shows open contempt for the people he works for? Well, that remains to be seen. But do you ever really know if a person will be better? I do know that if I vote for the same, I can expect the same. In my view that’s what gets us the ineffectual fools we see today.

He's no Matt Mead. That's for sure.

What a butt hole! "A reduction of the federal footprint."
I wonder if he would like to see a reduction of the federal funds, his state receives?

What a dummy.

So I’m m gonna play devils advocate.

#1 I’m not from Wyoming so take that for what my 2 cents for what they’re worth.

But, giving up landlocked federal lands in order to get accessible lands doesn’t seem awful. Also he’s opening the door for a hell of a legal battle by saying he wants to keep the federal grounds equal. If that’s what they end up fighting for in court and winning, then it opens up the door to every time any federal lands are traded or sold they must be replaced. So in essence, he’s opening himself up to get hammered on the backside. It could be used in many different ways, not just acres, or dollars. If they sold XYZ federal building in Cheyenne that sat on 1/4 acre for $500,000. If played right they would have to buy something else here, hopefully for the dollars, not acres. It’ll take lawyers and time. But…

I love politicians. They’ll take enough rope to hang themselves every time. Don’t fight the tiny battles with these people, let them fight themselves into a corner and win the big ones.

they will probably turn it into wilderness
It is not likely to become a true wilderness area, it is mostly grasslands and rolling hills. The area is basically surrounded by the North Platte River to the north, the Kortes road and Pedro Mountain's to the west, the Leo road and Shirly Mountains to the south, Chalk mountain to the southeast and State Highway 487 to the east. This will be a good area to hunt for all types of game as long as it does not get hit to hard. Very dry not a lot of water so game will be spread out. And with approximately 8 miles of North Platte river access it is really going to open up some hard to access fishing areas along the North Platte.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back