Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Pronghorn Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently you define reasonable as one who agrees with you - not an uncommon definition on the internet.

I don’t believe people who spread wild conspiracy theories across the internet and only talk in circles when their feet are held to the fire to provide evidence that supports their ideas (even after I provided him the regulation). I realize this makes me weird in some circles, but that’s my cross to bear.

Last edited:
Aside from this fantastic discussion......If anyone did (or does) does get burned by a regulation change after the NR application. Contact WYGF, summarize your situation, and they will refund your tag and reinstate your points. This happened to me several years ago on a cow tag. The type 6 tag switched to private only, and they created a new type 7 for anywhere, none of which was included in the draft. I had a calm discussion with a nice young lady, and she took care of it. I just asked to be issued a type 7 v a type 6, but she said it would be easier to refund our application all together, and for us just to buy a tag from the big old pile of leftovers. No drama.

Aside from this fantastic discussion......If anyone did (or does) does get burned by a regulation change after the NR application. Contact WYGF, summarize your situation, and they will refund your tag and reinstate your points. This happened to me several years ago on a cow tag. The type 6 tag switched to private only, and they created a new type 7 for anywhere, none of which was included in the draft. I had a calm discussion with a nice young lady, and she took care of it. I just asked to be issued a type 7 v a type 6, but she said it would be easier to refund our application all together, and for us just to buy a tag from the big old pile of leftovers. No drama.

You mean like being threatened to have your @$$ beat by a 70 year old degenerate in a PM?

Glad to hear it is resolved that easily.

You mean like being threatened to have your @$$ beat by a 70 year old degenerate in a PM?

Glad to hear it is resolved that easily.

I cannot comment on legitimacy of any online threats, but I can assure you no one from WYGF has ever threatened physical violence upon me. :rolleyes:

I think when this happens in good faith, they are more than happy to help you out. I have never had a negative experience with anyone from WYGF (Bios, Wardens, Staff), they have all been a pleasure to work with.

This actually involves a lot more than that because it will involve not only a refund, but also a reinstatement of the person's huge amount of PPs. That is probably what is going to happen in the situation being discussed in this thread. A couple of the guys that have drawn the Type 1 tag expecting to buy an archery permit so they can hunt the early season and then fall back with their rifles in October if they don't fill their tag in September where told by the area Biologist and one of the Commissioners that it looks like the strikeout will stay and that they will either have to hunt just the rifle season or be allowed to bail out completely. The latter is the least the G&F can do when they put a person in this kind of a situation IMHO.

Seems like a refund of points and money would be likely if the two week archery opportunity meant that much to the applicants. In honesty, I'd be tickled to have a rifle-only tag as good as those type 1s are.

This actually involves a lot more than that because it will involve not only a refund, but also a reinstatement of the person's huge amount of PPs. That is probably what is going to happen in the situation being discussed in this thread. A couple of the guys that have drawn the Type 1 tag expecting to buy an archery permit so they can hunt the early season and then fall back with their rifles in October if they don't fill their tag in September where told by the area Biologist and one of the Commissioners that it looks like the strikeout will stay and that they will either have to hunt just the rifle season or be allowed to bail out completely. The latter is the least the G&F can do when they put a person in this kind of a situation IMHO.

I can only speak to my experience.

I can only speak to my experience.

I think what you mentioned speaks highly of the overall way the G&F works and staff they have on board. I was a little leery of what would happen involving this strikeout deal eliminating the archery hunt though because most of the time to get a refund from G&F after a license is issued it has to be almost a life and death situation with MD paperwork, etc. to have any chance at a refund. It's nice to know that maybe that has changed somewhat to hear what they did for you and what will probably happen in this situation.

Just to calm the waters a bit, I believe this issue is going to work itself out the way it should without refunds, etc.

Really?

The interweb is a strange place.

Yeah, it's a funny read if you're interested. I considered posting a screenshot of his PMs in a separate thread for folks to read, but I think most on this forum already have him pegged for what he is.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a funny read if you're interested. I considered posting a screenshot of his PMs in a separate thread for folks to read, but I think most on this forum already have him pegged for what he is.

This has gotten ridiculous - time to stop name calling and get back to hunting talk.

No thanks but good to know.

I have to apply in MT or CO or somewhere before WY would draw so I wont even apply in WY.
Thanks for the discussion!

MNElkNut, I appreciate you explanation. In response: I'm sure you like most hunters have a busy personal life and probably have to limit yourself to a couple out-of-state hunts a year. So assuming you can only do 1 hunt a year couldn't you... apply to CO in march for a 1 pt unit, MT in March for say archery in the breaks, and NM in March for Valle Vidal. You don't get NM or MT but you draw CO, knowing that you decide to roll the dice with Wyoming and you get your tag, whooohooo. Then you just return your CO tag 30 days before the season and get your money back. If you had drawn NM and either CO or MT you would have gotten a refund for either of those and if you had gotten the MT tag and CO you could have returned the CO and then skipped applying in WY.

Wyoming, is seems, isn't as flexible with refunds therefore by having to apply there first you are incurring an opportunity cost in other states because you won't apply to other states as often because you will be drawing WY regularly and in the years you draw you wont put in applications in other states, which means you have less of a chance at getting that once in a lifetime NM, AZ or MT tag. This assumes you can't do two elk hunts in a year and that like me having to eat a NR elk tag and not go is unpalatable.

This thread has gotten a bit heated therefore seems like it's important to say that this is just a question from someone who is only a couple years into the multi-state application game. I have never applied to WY elk, just WY Pronghorn so I don't have any skin in the game and am just trying to understand your thinking.

This has gotten ridiculous - time to stop name calling and get back to hunting talk.

Agreed...and since my last post didn't get through, apparently.

If you applied for a 45 type 1 tag and planned on hunting the last 2 weeks of archery, I would highly recommend you keep those plans in place. Do nothing rash until after the commission season setting meeting...I'm hearing good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back