Wyoming, Let's Git 'er Done !!!

Moosie

Grand poopa
Can someone from Wyoming post the dates of the Draws and a Basic understanding of the point system for someone wanting to put in for Wyoming ?

How does the state handle the big game draws and general hunts ?!?!
When is the Deadline for draws ?
What is the Point system like there ?

Just some General Info from someone in the know willing to help someone out that needs general info.

thanx in advance.......

Elk has to be in by Jan. 31st for non residents, same with buffalo. Deer and antelope have to be in by May 31st.

pulled this from another site. these dates are from 2004, 2005 dates not out yet.

Archers with Limited Quota elk licenses may ONLY hunt in the Hunt Area specified for which their license is valid. They shall only hunt the sex of elk allowed to be taken within the Hunt Area on the earliest opening date for which their license type is valid as specified. Archers with Limited Quota Type 9 licenses are not required to obtain an archery license in addition to the Type 9 license.

Hunt dates for all OTHER bow-elk hunts are;

Units-1,5-16,19,21-25,27,28,30-34,47-56,58,59,61-65,83,87-96,100,102-111,113,114,116-118,120-122,124-128 are Sept.1 thru Sept.30th.

Unit-3 is Sept. 1-10th

Units-35-37,41,42,45,46,67-69 is Sept. 15th--30th

Units-60,66 is Sept. 1-9th

Units-70,71,73,97,98 is Sept.1--19th

Units-74,78,80-82,84-86 is Sept. 1--Sept.25yh

Is anyone here familiar with unit 100, the “Red Desert”?
The odds of drawing a type 1 elk license are long, is it really that good?

A-con,
I am very familiar with unit 100, there are a lot of 320-330 bulls with a few 340's and 350's running around. If you draw the tag I can help you out as I live in that unit. I put in for it every year, just haven't drawn it yet.

A-con,

If you or any hunttalk member puts in for unit 100 and draw I can either take you out on your hunt or give you some good maps. I've made some maps that have all the water holes I've found the last 6 or 7 years and also marked draws where there is always good bulls in. Here are a few pics of some bulls from unit 100:

2bulls7_10_03.jpg

2bulls27_10_03.jpg

bullsrunningaway.jpg

elk2gether22.jpg

Friends bull from 100:

scottsbull.jpg

EL

moosie,
they have been talking about a point system for nonresidents and i am not sure if they are going to start giving out points after this years draw or wait till 2006. I believe it is 2006.

So should I put in for Wyoming if I really can't hunt it this year really due to time hoping for a point ? Or is that not going to happen ?

Do you at least get points for Sheep or goats ?

Moosie,

The way I read it is you get points for moose, sheep and goats. Elk I believe will start in 2006. If you only want a point you will have to wait for next year.

No points for goat, only sheep and moose.

Points for elk, deer, antelope is still undecided.

Wyo has a preferance point for sheep with 25% non resident tags available to those without max points. 75% goes automatically to those with max points. Some of the lesser quality units are starting to be drawn by people with less than the max points (if you have a point every year since the point system started aprox 9 or 10 points). I don't have max points so I apply for the $7.00 preference point (no chance to draw this way, just earn a point without tying up the $1,900). Also to hunt the wilderness areas, which is almost a given for sheep, you have to hire a guide or hunt with a resident, if you are a non resident.

Is there a minimunm to draw then ? Or should i put in (Sheep and moose) with NO points and if I don't draw acquire a point. Or should a guy put in just for the point ?

I don't mind tying up $1,900 if there is a chance. ;)

BHR, I dont think this is true:"Some of the lesser quality units are starting to be drawn by people with less than the max points"

There are units that are being drawn with less than top points, but its not because of lesser quality...its because of more difficult access....still plenty of mature rams in those units...

Moosie,

If you put in you only have a shot at 25% of the non res tags. Wyoming gives out a lot of non res sheep tags, so you still have a fair chance and if you don't draw you earn a point.

Buzz,

The areas I am talking about have sheep with extremely small horns like unit 6. I saw a picture of a ram that was 8 1/2 with thin 29" horns. If you don't mind hunting small sheep then it would be a fine area to put in for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back