Yeti GOBOX Collection

wyoming hma and wia

muddymike55

ok so as far as western hunting ive only been to Colorado on an otc archery elk hunt. trip was a success but did not harvest an animal. learned a ton while there and looking to head west again. girlfriend and I will be putting in for doe only tags so we can start to build points but we want to hunt this fall. im not looking for unit recommentations or spots to go. I have a couple questions that I think I understand but would like ya'll to verify what I think I know.

1. a hma hunt management area - means you have to apply for a permission slip to hunt that particular hma. some only have a limited number of permission slips while others have unlimited permission slips. either way we would need a permission slip to hunt in hma's is this correct?

2. a wia does not require a permission slip and can be accessed by anyone holding a tag for the unit in which the wia is in. is this correct?

thanks, mike

2. a wia does not require a permission slip and can be accessed by anyone holding a tag for the unit in which the wia is in. is this correct?

Yes, as long as the Tag is valid for they type of game allowed to be taken on the dates the WIA allows. Each one is different and you need to make sure that what your doing is allowed by the land owner.

The Wyoming hunt planner is way better if a source than what you will get here on a forum.

I have been using the hunt planner as well as onx it is a great tool but I could not find in writing what the requirements are for the wia as far as permission goes. I did see and printed off all the rules for the wia's in the units that I am thinking of applying for. thank you addicting. im heading out there from northern Illinois

I have been using the hunt planner as well as onx it is a great tool but I could not find in writing what the requirements are for the wia as far as permission goes. I did see and printed off all the rules for the wia's in the units that I am thinking of applying for. thank you addicting. im heading out there from northern Illinois

On your tag there will be a land owner coupon. Some of the WIA have boxes to drop it into but most of them I hunt don’t. I’ve just mailed them to the ownership info I can get from Onxmaps. The landowners get reimbursed based off from those. Please do your best to try and get the coupon to them, everything helps keep that program open.

oh I definitely will make sure they get the coupons. on the hunt planner when I click more info for a specific unit I look at the draw odds for buck and it gives a % chance to draw. im confused about the doe/fawn draw odds as it will say what the quota is and then give number of applicants. how can I figure out which units have the best odds of drawing doe tags? I appreciate your help sir.

oh I definitely will make sure they get the coupons. on the hunt planner when I click more info for a specific unit I look at the draw odds for buck and it gives a % chance to draw. im confused about the doe/fawn draw odds as it will say what the quota is and then give number of applicants. how can I figure out which units have the best odds of drawing doe tags? I appreciate your help sir.

Open up each unit and do the math, after a hour or so you should be able to make a quick spreadsheet and filter it. Or buy a subscription to GoHunt and scroll.

GF lists drawing odds, but you wont really be able to calculate your true draw odds for doe tags. Reason is that each applicant can apply for either 1 or 2 doe tags, the odds only reflect total applicants and total available tags. But, doesn't take into account how many of those applicants may have received 2 tags.

As an example, say a unit offered 50 tags and there were 50 first choice applicants, if everyone applied for 2 tags, your odds would be 50% of drawing, not 100% based on 50 tags issued and 50 people applying.

GF lists drawing odds, but you wont really be able to calculate your true draw odds for doe tags. Reason is that each applicant can apply for either 1 or 2 doe tags, the odds only reflect total applicants and total available tags. But, doesn't take into account how many of those applicants may have received 2 tags.

As an example, say a unit offered 50 tags and there were 50 first choice applicants, if everyone applied for 2 tags, your odds would be 50% of drawing, not 100% based on 50 tags issued and 50 people applying.

That's what I thought... Gohunt's odds for WY doe tags are optimistic and reality is probably closer to half the percentage they are listing. I definitely apply for two tags myself.

gentleman thank you for explaining that. I will continue to research prospective units and odds and then break it down to what we think our best odds are and apply there. thanks again

WIA means limited driving (naturally). Some it means walking a long ways and you can only park in certain places. FOLLOW THE RULES! Some are archery only, some are limited species/dates, some are interspersed with BLM/State land which actually opens up a bigger place to hunt rather than checkerboard.

Unless G&F has changed their timing, updated HMA and Walk in areas are not posted until July, don't necessarily make choices based on last years info as HMAs and walk in areas can change from year to year.

One other thing. You might as well put in for some buck tags too - you might get lucky in the random draw. That way you can still build points even if unsuccessful in the draw. The doe tags are not connected to the points system, so you can grab those as “first choice” in that draw.

Call the access coordinator for the area before the app deadline, they can tell you if they’ve signed agreements and any changes that may have occurred.

Seriously, if all you want are does, apply in a unit that tickles your pickle. Check out draw odds and pretty much any unit that offers easy doe tags it will be an easy hunt, even if public access is limited.

thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it. yes we are meat hunters and with 6 kids finances can be tight at times so putting in for buck tags is not possible at this time. we still want to hunt and will be putting in for 2 doe tags each. when we actually apply you have to pay the app fee as well as the tag fee is this correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back