Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

I put another donation in today. I know some of you are multiple donations in already. Let’s show the MO hunters that we’ve got their back!

“8.8.22 Update: Request for Additional Funding to Support Remaining Criminal and Civil Case Legal Expenses:

In the fall of 2021, four non-resident hunters were issued citations by a Carbon County Sheriff's Deputy for criminal trespass. The four hunters never touched private lands: they used a ladder to cross between adjoining corners of public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Prior to this citation being issued, both the local Wyoming Game & Fish Department (WGFD) Warden and a different Carbon County Deputy had told the hunters that their actions did not constitute trespassing. After successfully harvesting elk, upon their return to their camp, the hunters were met by the awaiting Deputy and issued the citations. Rather than accepting the charge for accessing their public land and paying the fines, the hunters all pled “not guilty.” On April 29th, 2022 all criminal charges were dismissed against the four hunters. The four hunters still face a civil lawsuit filed by the landowner which will be heard in federal court. This civil suit has the potential to set precedent that could improve public access to checker boarded public lands.

Thanks to the incredible generosity of our partners and individual donors like you, Wyoming BHA (Backcountry Hunters & Anglers) has led fundraising efforts that have secured over $72,000 to cover the legal expenses for these four hunters. To date, over $80,000 has been spent on criminal and civil legal expenses. We anticipate a total cost of $26,500 per hunter or $106,000 for all four hunters to cover the remaining legal expenses from the criminal case and current legal expenses associated with the civil case now in federal court.”

I put another donation in today. I know some of you are multiple donations in already. Let’s show the MO hunters that we’ve got their back!

“8.8.22 Update: Request for Additional Funding to Support Remaining Criminal and Civil Case Legal Expenses:

In the fall of 2021, four non-resident hunters were issued citations by a Carbon County Sheriff's Deputy for criminal trespass. The four hunters never touched private lands: they used a ladder to cross between adjoining corners of public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Prior to this citation being issued, both the local Wyoming Game & Fish Department (WGFD) Warden and a different Carbon County Deputy had told the hunters that their actions did not constitute trespassing. After successfully harvesting elk, upon their return to their camp, the hunters were met by the awaiting Deputy and issued the citations. Rather than accepting the charge for accessing their public land and paying the fines, the hunters all pled “not guilty.” On April 29th, 2022 all criminal charges were dismissed against the four hunters. The four hunters still face a civil lawsuit filed by the landowner which will be heard in federal court. This civil suit has the potential to set precedent that could improve public access to checker boarded public lands.

Thanks to the incredible generosity of our partners and individual donors like you, Wyoming BHA (Backcountry Hunters & Anglers) has led fundraising efforts that have secured over $72,000 to cover the legal expenses for these four hunters. To date, over $80,000 has been spent on criminal and civil legal expenses. We anticipate a total cost of $26,500 per hunter or $106,000 for all four hunters to cover the remaining legal expenses from the criminal case and current legal expenses associated with the civil case now in federal court.”
Money well spent

Last edited:
Didn't read whole thread. But I imagine part of this is somebody told this guy he would get more bang for the buck by buying checkerboard and getting exclusive access to federal land. He sees that plan slipping away and is pissed about it.

I can understand wanting to test the legality in court but how butthurt do u have to be to turn around and sue some middle class Joe's for damages. Just take the L, sell the ranch, and buy a more contiguous ranch elsewhere.

Didn't read whole thread. But I imagine part of this is somebody told this guy he would get more bang for the buck by buying checkerboard and getting exclusive access to federal land. He sees that plan slipping away and is pissed about it.

I can understand wanting to test the legality in court but how butthurt do u have to be to turn around and sue some middle class Joe's for damages. Just take the L, sell the ranch, and buy a more contiguous ranch elsewhere.
Wealthy folk do not like to hear the word "no", they're used to getting their way.

I have wondered if other checkerboard owners are cheering him on or really pissed off that he's pushing so hard (and probably going to lose).

I have wondered if other checkerboard owners are cheering him on or really pissed off that he's pushing so hard (and probably going to lose).

he probably realized his mistake in opening this can of worms, especially when the jury gave their verdict.

now that he opened that pandoras box upon checkerboard owners he sees his lose-lose situation and now his only option is to try and scare people with turning around suing.

back to the fun analogies, fred eshelman just bombed pearl harbor and he doesn't realize the hornets nest he just kicked.... i like to hope.

he probably realized his mistake in opening this can of worms, especially when the jury gave their verdict.
A bummer, when requested, none of the jury opted to speak with reporters after the verdict - Wyofile.

Regardless - glad they brought a piece of justice to our public land access and looking forward to the next steps.

The argument that the ranch’s value has been diminished by that many millions of dollars seems to concede the fact that its corners are in fact now open to crossing. How else could they argue that touching air produced such ridiculously high damages? It is no longer one large, contiguous block of land. Interesting…

Back